Perfect 2 Midline plays in a row showing different reads

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know I know… last Midline. I was just excited to see the play demonstrated so well, right after each other, and a different read for each play.

These two midline plays are from the 2013 UNC game. I run the play once then I use the curser to identify the read/DT and witch direction he is going. Also note for the BB give, the BB bends to the opposite side (remember lackey's TD run in the spring game). On the QB keep, the BB blocks towards the side of the QB turn.

This bend to the opposite side and run/block to the QB turn side leads me to believe the BB must "read" as well as the QB. I think the BB should take the ball if given despite the read, but a miss match in read seems to cause fumbles as shown in the spring game with Byerly/Laskey and the Pitt game with Vad/Sims.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In the second play, the DT comes down, the qb reads him and keeps, but the same DT makes the tackle on the qb. Why?

Bad blocking by the BB?

Imo, this is like the play we were discussing, kind of. It's hard to tell where the DT lines up, but he attacks the A-Gap, and OG goes to wash him out. The Bback still meshes and runs midline dive, and QB rightly keeps.

The DT just does a good job beating and getting off the block, it seems to me.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Imo, this is like the play we were discussing, kind of. It's hard to tell where the DT lines up, but he attacks the A-Gap, and OG goes to wash him out. The Bback still meshes and runs midline dive, and QB rightly keeps.

The DT just does a good job beating and getting off the block, it seems to me.
Good on the DT = bad on the OG. Same thing, almost. The OG had leverage on the DT. He should make that block every time.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
BB on midline never blocks the DT. His job would be to go get the LB if the DT slants down. If the DT stays to the outside shoulder of the OG then he gets the handoff.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would have liked to see Sims hit the DT since he did not get the ball. Perhaps Sims could not get a good read and depended completely on the QB take or give not allowing him to setup for a block.