Penalties

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to agree that penalties are a good sign of preparation and coaching.

We are #10 in the country in penalties/game (4.3) after yesterday's game
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalties-per-game

Prior to yesterday, we were #22 in penalty yards/game (44.29). We did a little better than that vs. Pitt, so I'd expect we'll remain top 25 there.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/698

What does that say about preparation and coaching? My gut says we are well prepared and I'm very happy with those stats.

It is interesting to see where other schools are on the list. Referencing the first link:
  • #21 - Virginia
  • #22 - Ohio State
  • #29 - Duke
  • #31 - Va Tech
  • #39 - Clemson
  • #84 - LSU
  • #93 - NC State
  • #106 - Georgia
  • #110 - Alabama
  • #116 - Pittsburgh
  • #128 - Syracuse ;)
One counterargument, as an example - Are our OL not yet proficient at legal holding? When we become adept, that might change things for the worse in penalties, but help us in pass pro and overall W/L.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Been preaching this point for a month now. Bobby dodd used to say his first tell of good coaching. Now clearly there is more to it.

And i agree. Our OL should get called for one hold a game. Perhaps they haven’t yet exposed that mastery which would help them.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
One. The second was a legal substitution that the official messed the rule up. We had three penalties that were legit, one side block that was debatable though. And only one substitution penalty in 8 games total. There is no penalty issue with this team

We had penalties on all three of our kick returns, need to clean those up. I also think we’ve gotten called for offensive PI every time we’ve tried to run that pick play to Davis. Not sure what Blancato thought he was doing there

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We had penalties on all three of our kick returns, need to clean those up. I also think we’ve gotten called for offensive PI every time we’ve tried to run that pick play to Davis. Not sure what Blancato thought he was doing there

We only had 4 penalties, i guess something was declined then that i dont recall. 2 sub. One side block. OnE pick play