Penalties and Discipline

slugboy

Staff member
Right now, Steve Hummer is the only columnist over there that I think does a good column. Suguira is a beat reporter.
Watching the Pitt game, we were getting the short end of the stick. I’m hard-pressed to square my viewing of the game with Cunningham’s description.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Right now, Steve Hummer is the only columnist over there that I think does a good column. Suguira is a beat reporter.
Watching the Pitt game, we were getting the short end of the stick. I’m hard-pressed to square my viewing of the game with Cunningham’s description.

I usually don't buy the whole "ref's shafted us" line of thought, but the Pitt game was atrocious. That said, while I think it's a stretch to label 4 years as a definitive pattern, as Cunningham does, this paragraph is dead on:

"Tech’s grumbling about calls might play well with supporters who feel the same way. I don’t see how it helps the Jackets play winning football. How can Collins tell his players to brush off bad calls when he can’t seem to do it? If the coach is pointing a finger at the refs, then so will the players. A team that’s preoccupied with calls is focused on the wrong thing."

I've never played college football, but I did play college baseball, and our Coach would absolutely bench us if we went off on an umpire. Shoot, even a smart remark was enough to earn gassers after the game. Focusing on the calls distracts you from the game. I agree with Cunningham on this point.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any issue with Cunningham raising this as a concern - I agree that he may be too definitive in his style, but he is right to question this, and he is right that any team that commits dumb penalties will end up costing themselves wins. It is highly unlikely that we can win a lot of games where we give yards (and possessions) away.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I've never played college football, but I did play college baseball, and our Coach would absolutely bench us if we went off on an umpire. Shoot, even a smart remark was enough to earn gassers after the game. Focusing on the calls distracts you from the game. I agree with Cunningham on this point.
And how many times did your coaches absolutely lay in to umpires during the game? I’m willing to bet it happened pretty often. Most coaches don’t allow their players to argue with officials, and will tell them that they will handle issues with officials. It’s pretty unfair that Cunningham insinuates that the players are preoccupied with the officials just because Collins was upset at calls. How many times do you see Saban or Kirby or Bellichick laying into referees and nobody says their players are preoccupied with the refs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And how many times did your coaches absolutely lay in to umpires during the game? I’m willing to bet it happened pretty often. Most coaches don’t allow their players to argue with officials, and will tell them that they will handle issues with officials. It’s pretty unfair that Cunningham insinuates that the players are preoccupied with the officials just because Collins was upset at calls. How many times do you see Saban or Kirby or Bellichick laying into referees and nobody says their players are preoccupied with the refs.

Rarely. A lesson worth learning is that arguing with an official never change anything. Our coach would voice his disagreement and move on.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Rarely. A lesson worth learning is that arguing with an official never change anything. Our coach would voice his disagreement and move on.
So what you’re saying is that it’s possible for a coach to argue, or *ahem* “voice his disagreement”, and then move on without there being any adverse lingering affect from him throughout the team? I mean, that seems legit. So I don’t know why Cunningham seems to think it’s impossible.

*This isn’t supposed to be disparinging towards you or your experience btw. I’m just pointing out what I see as unfair judgement by Cunningham onto Collins and the team. I think it’s hypocritical to criticize one coach for being visibly upset at officials but not others.*

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So what you’re saying is that it’s possible for a coach to argue, or *ahem* “voice his disagreement”, and then move on without there being any adverse lingering affect from him throughout the team? I mean, that seems legit. So I don’t know why Cunningham seems to think it’s impossible.

Yes. There is. Collins needs to learn how to do it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yes. There is. Collins needs to learn how to do it.
Who says he doesn’t know how to? He’s been on the sidelines of D1 football games for basically his entire adult life. He’s worked under some great coaches. He’s been a great defensive coordinator himself. He’s not some random guy that’s been plucked off the street. I’m sure he’s more than capable of handling interactions with officials without disrupting the rest of his team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Who says he doesn’t know how to? He’s been on the sidelines of D1 football games for basically his entire adult life. He’s worked under some great coaches. He’s been a great defensive coordinator himself. He’s not some random guy that’s been plucked off the street. I’m sure he’s more than capable of handling interactions with officials without disrupting the rest of his team.

We will know soon enough. I like him. I support him. I also see areas that need improvement. Our penalties have cost us games. The Citadel last year was a prime example. We play sloppy and undisciplined. Have the refs blown some calls? Absolutely. But don't let it get in your head so bad that you show poor sportsmanship at the end of a game. That is an area I would like to see him improve in.

If you want to do everything with excellence, don't let sportsmanship and personal behavior be exceptions.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I usually don't buy the whole "ref's shafted us" line of thought, but the Pitt game was atrocious. That said, while I think it's a stretch to label 4 years as a definitive pattern, as Cunningham does, this paragraph is dead on:

"Tech’s grumbling about calls might play well with supporters who feel the same way. I don’t see how it helps the Jackets play winning football. How can Collins tell his players to brush off bad calls when he can’t seem to do it? If the coach is pointing a finger at the refs, then so will the players. A team that’s preoccupied with calls is focused on the wrong thing."

I disagree with you. It's the Coach's job to manage the game, and that includes the officials; it's the players' job to play. As a coach, I'll take umbrage with the officials all game long if they're doing a lousy job, but if my guys say a word to them, I'm in their grill.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We will know soon enough. I like him. I support him. I also see areas that need improvement. Our penalties have cost us games. The Citadel last year was a prime example. We play sloppy and undisciplined. Have the refs blown some calls? Absolutely. But don't let it get in your head so bad that you show poor sportsmanship at the end of a game. That is an area I would like to see him improve in.

If you want to do everything with excellence, don't let sportsmanship and personal behavior be exceptions.
I agree with this (don't want you to think that I'm just disagreeable).

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
According to the game stats I saw, we were called for 8 penalties, Pitt for 6. Season stats had us at about 9 penalties per game and Pitt 8.
The refs " knew " it would be a highly penalized game , and we were the worst offender. It's not like the Pitt game was the only game all year
that we were heavily penalized. If CGC thought we had been getting screwed by the refs before, why wait until the last game of the year to start making a fuss ?
IMO, it shows a team that is undiciplined, and not mentally prepared. This is not the first instance of that this year. Worrisome.....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
According to the game stats I saw, we were called for 8 penalties, Pitt for 6. Season stats had us at about 9 penalties per game and Pitt 8.
The refs " knew " it would be a highly penalized game , and we were the worst offender. It's not like the Pitt game was the only game all year
that we were heavily penalized. If CGC thought we had been getting screwed by the refs before, why wait until the last game of the year to start making a fuss ?
IMO, it shows a team that is undiciplined, and not mentally prepared. This is not the first instance of that this year. Worrisome.....
Remember, there was still the Miami game. He was angling for calls in the Miami game. ;)