Paul Johnson

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I just did. At 12:08 in the third qtr, we scored to cut the lead to 10. Clemson scored touchdowns on four consecutive possessions after that. The first one was the back breaker, though, because it happened so quickly and so easily. We suddenly made it a game and they just as quickly made it not one.

Our D forced them to punt twice the entire game. (final punt with a minute to go with the game in hand not counted.) They made one interception. Every other Clemson possession produced points, most of which were tds.
SIMPLE TO ME WE WERE OUT OF GAMES BY MIDDLE OR LATE OF THIRD QUARTER.ONLY FACTS I HAVE IS LOOK ST THE SOCRES OF WHO BEAT US.WITH EXCEPTION OF GA AND VT WE LOST BY AT LEAST TWO TDS...I am sure that late ending s ores were not against the first team.
I just did. At 12:08 in the third qtr, we scored to cut the lead to 10. Clemson scored touchdowns on four consecutive possessions after that. The first one was the back breaker, though, because it happened so quickly and so easily. We suddenly made it a game and they just as quickly made it not one.

Our D forced them to punt twice the entire game. (final punt with a minute to go with the game in hand not counted.) They made one interception. Every other Clemson possession produced points, most of which were tds.
Like I said we were toast and did little after last score.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, Miami and VPI ...
Oh yeah. We probably beat Miami w/o Duke Johnson, too. If that happens, its us in the ACCCG and not them. The VPI game is a head scratcher. Why does that sasquatch of a qb always have a career day against us and nobody else? He was terrible against other defenses comparable to ours. Wtf?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Cleaned up this thread.

Public Service Announcement:
Gents, please remember that GT Swarm is not like any other site. If you are used to posting a certain way somewhere else, please make sure you consider the difference in what is tolerated and what is not. I think we have a pretty good latitude for tolerance of difference in opinion but none for behavior.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
My friend send me to the correct page of what and how I must offer my opinions.Didnt think i was certainly not bashing PJ but for two mill a year he should be able to take it.I see no bad behavior but if so I need rules to confirm my posts.thanks

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
My friend send me to the correct page of what and how I must offer my opinions.Didnt think i was certainly not bashing PJ but for two mill a year he should be able to take it.I see no bad behavior but if so I need rules to confirm my posts.thanks
Here you go. We're getting off topic but you're welcome to open a new thread on this or perhaps even append your thoughts here.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure why we're making excuses for the defense after the Clemson game... We cut it to 10 at the very beginning of the 2nd half. The defense wasn't tired, it was right after halftime. They shouldn't have been frustrated, we had just come from the locker room where we should have gotten things together. We had just broken a huge play and taken all of the momentum. We definitely adjusted at halftime, because we consistently moved the ball on Clemson's first team D after that. We lost because Clemson's offense just ran roughshod over us for that entire half.

I don't understand why every single criticism of our team has to revolve around our offensive scheme. If I had to rank the problems that our football team has had since '09 (there are plenty), that literally might be dead last on the list of things that have hurt us. Now if you are talking about its effect on recruiting, you might have a point, but that's not what I've been seeing.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just ran some numbers based on footballoutsiders' F/+ stat for all offenses over the last 6 years. You can go to their website to find out more about the stat, but it is opponent adjusted and throws out "garbage" time stats based on the end of a half and blowouts.

Adding the Off F/+ for the last 6 years (including the 2010 outlier where we had team-chemistry issues and lost JN), GT has the #14 offense since CPJ has been our coach.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Just ran some numbers based on footballoutsiders' F/+ stat for all offenses over the last 6 years. You can go to their website to find out more about the stat, but it is opponent adjusted and throws out "garbage" time stats based on the end of a half and blowouts.

Adding the Off F/+ for the last 6 years (including the 2010 outlier where we had team-chemistry issues and lost JN), GT has the #14 offense since CPJ has been our coach.

AE87,
I respect your zeal to prop up your argument with statistics, but isn't reality that the most important stat is Wins & Losses?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE87,
I respect your zeal to prop up your argument with statistics, but isn't reality that the most important stat is Wins & Losses?

Only if you're making a case about the whole team, including defense and special teams. If someone is talking about the performance of CPJ's offensive scheme, which many do, than the most important stats are the one's I'm citing. For example, Texas A&M lost to the only ranked teams the faced this year, Au, Al, LSU, and Mizzou. Their wins came against teams with 500 or below conference records. Imo, only an idiot would conclude that they have a bad offense.

We've had a bad to very bad Defense for the last few years. To some extent that also falls on CPJ. But, he's been working to correct it. I think that counts in his favor as a HC, especially when his offense is so consistent.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Only if you're making a case about the whole team, including defense and special teams. If someone is talking about the performance of CPJ's offensive scheme, which many do, than the most important stats are the one's I'm citing. For example, Texas A&M lost to the only ranked teams the faced this year, Au, Al, LSU, and Mizzou. Their wins came against teams with 500 or below conference records. Imo, only an idiot would conclude that they have a bad offense.

We've had a bad to very bad Defense for the last few years. To some extent that also falls on CPJ. But, he's been working to correct it. I think that counts in his favor as a HC, especially when his offense is so consistent.
AE,
NOT "to some extent it falls on him", ALL of it falls on him as he has final say in everything.Got to admit that he has made changes but still DEF in a BIG part of fball.
btw-I'm not convinced that this OFF and esp the QB and WRs being poor in passing also hasn't hurt the DEF over the yrs in prep.We sure haven't set in positive records in pass def.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE,
NOT "to some extent it falls on him", ALL of it falls on him as he has final say in everything.Got to admit that he has made changes but still DEF in a BIG part of fball.
btw-I'm not convinced that this OFF and esp the QB and WRs being poor in passing also hasn't hurt the DEF over the yrs in prep.We sure haven't set in positive records in pass def.

Wow. OK. I think most people would say that coordinators should get some credit or blame for their units. I would say, for example, that Bud Foster has done a great job with vpi's d. You would say, "No, that's ALL Beamer." If this is not right, then you've misinterpreted my post.