Paul Johnson

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Its never 1 thing. I thinks its a mixture of the Flexbone, the Hill/Flunkgate, etc...

I hate to say it but if there were a way to poll all HS football recruits then I think our offense in terms of attractiveness (what they wanted to play in) in comparison to other offenses would be near the bottom of the poll.
You could rephrase your last sentence to read:

"I hate to say it but if there were a way to poll all HS football recruits then I think our school in terms of attractiveness (where they wanted to spend the next 4 years) in comparison to other schools would be near the bottom of the poll."

Our offense gives us a chance to be successful against teams with better talent. Most of the teams we play have better talent than we do and I'm talking historically going back 50 years. If you want to change the offense, fine. Just replace it with another offense that offers this same advantage. We've been competitive against our entire schedule with our offense. Where we have failed has way more to do with mental toughness late in games, or lack thereof, than personnel or scheme.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
You could rephrase your last sentence to read:

"I hate to say it but if there were a way to poll all HS football recruits then I think our school in terms of attractiveness (where they wanted to spend the next 4 years) in comparison to other schools would be near the bottom of the poll."

Our offense gives us a chance to be successful against teams with better talent. Most of the teams we play have better talent than we do and I'm talking historically going back 50 years. If you want to change the offense, fine. Just replace it with another offense that offers this same advantage. We've been competitive against our entire schedule with our offense. Where we have failed has way more to do with mental toughness late in games, or lack thereof, than personnel or scheme.

Please don't rephrase what I posted. If you do that then you are changing my point.

I love our offense. Probably more than most. I am simply making the point that it is not attractive to the majority of HS recruits.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Please don't rephrase what I posted. If you do that then you are changing my point.

I love our offense. Probably more than most. I am simply making the point that it is not attractive to the majority of HS recruits.
I was totally trying to change your point. In fact, that was my intent: to show you the opposite is also true. Most kids don't like GT, period. There, I said it. There's a lot of reasons.

It takes a special kid to appreciate what GT has to offer. We need to do a better job of finding these kids. (News flash, most of them do not reside in Georgia.)

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Most kids don't like GT, period. There, I said it. There's a lot of reasons.

It takes a special kid to appreciate what GT has to offer. We need to do a better job of finding these kids. (News flash, most of them do not reside in Georgia.)

This is true.

And from this I say that someone has to step up and make GT more attractive to the recruit. Bobinski? CPJ? The hill? The AA? Everyone. Its a cumulative effort. One of which I am sure they work on daily. Except the hill.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is true.

And from this I say that someone has to step up and make GT more attractive to the recruit. Bobinski? CPJ? The hill? The AA? Everyone. Its a cumulative effort. One of which I am sure they work on daily. Except the hill.
Or someone who can sell water to a drowning man.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree with you on Vad my friend..put him in the spread and you see a good athlete that can make things happen.PJ .......well lets say not impressed this yr with his play calling ..wished we had not thrown sideline pass with six minuets to go but thats his call.If it had worked we would have won but football is not round like the bb.I agree we can get better but in my opinion the option is not a good choice for us to run but we will no matter what.Put us in spread like Carolina,turn Vad loose and lets have some fun.Good idea to get throwback unis too but of course you knew I would say that.Good to see you on the board .
Good to see you Mack! Welcome. This is a pretty fun group from what I can tell.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You can say that again. Half our student body doesn't like it here. Tech breaks your heart in every which-way imaginable.

Seriously. I did not always have kind words about Ma Tech, but in the long run, I'm happy Ma didn't care.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
A current student at Tech who visited Athens last weekend, made one of the most damning statements against Tech. I asked him why he went there and his response "I wanted to see people that were actually happy".

He is a Tech man, cheers for Tech and a good representative of the Institute.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

You may be right, but when you think about it, it's the same challenge we face academically with recruits. We have a tough road to hoe. Still, players are out there who love this offense, would be really good in it, and are tech driven academically. For those kids, we march to the front of the line. We have a niche. The problem is, we have been fishing in the wrong waters. All this focus on our own back yard is a faulty strategy, in my mind. There aren't enough of these kids in GA alone, or neighboring states for that matter, to float our boat. Our umbrella needs to be very wide, while targeting specific pools of candidates. I have heard that we are targeting more private schools than before. I think this is wise for obvious reasons. We need to have our foot in the door of every private school in the country with a respectable football program. I would start there with the added personnel we have on staff now, then continue to hit our own state, or states nearby, for the recruits we are already getting. It is going to be expensive, but the way I see it, there is no way around it.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I visited Georgia about 2 years after I graduated because their library had some maps I wanted to inspect. Being spring time, girls were sunning everywhere. It was the land of milk and honey. Good looking girls were everywhere!!!

If you don't see the recruiting issues that Tech has, you must not want to see it.

Degree availability, location (not southern California), degree of difficulty, girl ratio, calculous, entrance standards, etc...
We don't gray shirt. We don't move kids along if they are not out performing. We care about their education even if they don't care.

The reason you go to Tech is for a specific degree, not to go to college. This is for both athletes that want to come to Tech from the start and general students.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I visited Georgia about 2 years after I graduated because their library had some maps I wanted to inspect. Being spring time, girls were sunning everywhere. It was the land of milk and honey. Good looking girls were everywhere!!!

If you don't see the recruiting issues that Tech has, you must not want to see it.

Degree availability, location (not southern California), degree of difficulty, girl ratio, calculous, entrance standards, etc...
We don't gray shirt. We don't move kids along if they are not out performing. We care about their education even if they don't care.

The reason you go to Tech is for a specific degree, not to go to college. This is for both athletes that want to come to Tech from the start and general students.
We don't/can't take Jucos, either.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Seriously. I did not always have kind words about Ma Tech, but in the long run, I'm happy Ma didn't care.

AE 87 huh? I'm an AE right now, bout to get in the thick of my degree here shortly. Looking forward to it....

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE 87 huh? I'm an AE right now, bout to get in the thick of my degree here shortly. Looking forward to it....

Embrace the struggle. Learning how to think is worth more than learning what to think. Pursue education and learning more than the grade.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure the offense hurts recruiting as much as many people think. Just comparing CPJ to Gailey, who ran a pro set offense, there's no difference at all. When y0u compare with O'Leary, he did better, however, he didn't have APR or post flunkgate affecting who he could offer. Ross was a whole different ball game. That dude had carte blanche, for the most part, with who he could offer.

So I see it as more of a "GT" thing than an "triple option" thing. Everything associated with GT from it's mission to it's fanbase hurts with guys who want a direct, easy, hassle free, media hyped, huge rabid fanbase worship filled route to the NFL.
My friend when a tv commentator says it hurts recruiting I agree with him..Do you think a Murray would come to tech to take a snap,get killed by a DE every play.......how about a passer who threw it all over the field in HS.....would he come to option and maybe throw seven times a game or how about the star rb who likes runs off tackle ..would he like to run up a og butt every time the ball is snapped.How about the wide out who is told to block and maybe catch the ball twice a game if he is lucky.How about the OL who has quick feet and strength and wants to go to the NFL but who will do little pass blocking during his stay at tech.Big difference between Chan and PJ with backs.Remember JD was recruited by Chan and who have we recruited as good as he is in past six years..If the option has a Watts or a Turner or a Ham yeah,the thing is fun to watch but we dont have them..I see nobody in my 23 counties who run the offense and are gung ho on going to tech. Just my take on it my friend but we beat the weak with it and then.........the big uns beat us.