Paul Johnson

AnotherBee

Georgia Tech Fan
Coach's contract runs through 2016. He's here for sure in 2014 and in 2015 as well unless he is worse than 6-6 which I don't believe will happen. The real question will come after the 2015 season as he'd be a "lame duck" in 2016 without an extension. As if he needs anything to make recruiting harder, this would be something.
I hope for 8-4 and maybe 9-3 next year. I wonder how Bobinski can promote GT football if he knows that CPJ will likely serve out his contract and always finish between 6 - 6 and 8 - 4 with 7 - 5 happening nearly every year with very good APR numbers.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
From wire reports: "The school confirmed Sunday that Muschamp fired offensive coordinator Brent Pease and offensive line coach Tim Davis less than 24 hours after the Gators (4-8) completed their first losing season since 1979."

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think we need to win the bowl game...28-24 over the last 4 years isnt good. At least winning the bowl game will give us another 8 win year.

Honestly next year is a big big year for CPJ. I am hoping he gets things corrected and we get back to the 08 and 09 days.

jzgt22

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been a Paul Johnson supporter for some time now. I think he's produced some strong results while at Tech. While I like the direction in which the program is headed, I would have to believe that MBob would be more than willing to pull the trigger and move in a different direction if all the hires, improved focus on recruiting and opening up the offense don't translate into wins next year. His first statement as AD was that he's extremely competitive and hates to lose. I would have to imagine that mediocrity in the football and basketball program can't sit well with him. I like Paul and think he's great for Tech, but ultimately I want to be able to support a program that consistently competes for ACC championships and beats the dwags.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Our D practices against a scout team during the season. During the offseason our O also at times runs scout looks for the D.

Thank you for posting that. (I have intentionally hold off reading anything about the game for a few days). Too many "buy into" the myth that our D only practices against the 3-O... they forget/don't know we do have a scout team to run whatever our opponents run...

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you for posting that. (I have intentionally hold off reading anything about the game for a few days). Too many "buy into" the myth that our D only practices against the 3-O... they forget/don't know we do have a scout team to run whatever our opponents run...

Have you been to any of the scrimmages during the fall or during the spring season? When the 1's go against the 1's and the 2's versus the 2's, what offense is being run during those sessions?

gtdrew

Banned
As someone who played a LOT of defense in a past life, if you can find the ballcarrier, you can play defense. I've never put a lot of stock in the notion that guys can't play here on "d" and get to the NFL. They don't say that to kids @ Oregon or Washington St., who have guys practicing against offenses just as different from "pro-style" as us. The path of the ball might be a little different, and corners might play run support more against us, but if you can get to and tackle the ball carrier, you can play.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you confusing that with the spring game?
No, I'm talking about the open scrimmages they hold. When Gailey was here, practices were open; as they were with Johnson when he first arrived. I used to go to almost every one of those and I still try to make most of the open scrimmages, which are held pretty much every Saturday morning during the first week or 2 of fall and then pretty much weekly during the spring (usually on Saturday mornings).

In each of those, we see the 1's playing vs the 1's and the 2's versus the 2's during a live scrimmage part of the practice. In those (and yes, in the spring game), our defense is indeed practicing against the triple option offense.

Now, once games start our defense gets to face our scout team, which tries to run the opposing team's offense for that week. But to say that our defense doesn't practice against the option is a flat out mistruth.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No, I'm talking about the open scrimmages they hold. When Gailey was here, practices were open; as they were with Johnson when he first arrived. I used to go to almost every one of those and I still try to make most of the open scrimmages, which are held pretty much every Saturday morning during the first week or 2 of fall and then pretty much weekly during the spring (usually on Saturday mornings).

In each of those, we see the 1's playing vs the 1's and the 2's versus the 2's during a live scrimmage part of the practice. In those (and yes, in the spring game), our defense is indeed practicing against the triple option offense.

Now, once games start our defense gets to face our scout team, which tries to run the opposing team's offense for that week. But to say that our defense doesn't practice against the option is a flat out mistruth.

You're better at getting down there than I (glad you can do so). I agree that they do run against the 3-O but that is not the only thing run from the spread formation. Just want to make sure we don't think that the D only practices against the standard 3-O. :)

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yeah people (including me) have been encouraged by what they have seen this year, especially on defense
Yep Defense was better no doubt but offense to me felt like it couldnt get it done when needed.Still the offense needs talent and maybe next yr we get some.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Nobody has a crystal ball, as far as I know, so to say history will repeat itself is just speculation. One thing that cannot be refuted is that CPJ has made several moves to try and improve things. He doesn't continue to do the same things with the same staff and hope things get better. Time will tell if any of the many changes he's made pay off.
My friend PJ did get a start on defense and Roof did well but this year was in my opinion a bad one for offense.I figured wrong.I thought we would do well with ave d and we did not.Still say the option hurts us getting players but if and when we do it will be fun to see but so far in six yrs no fun to be had on consistent basis.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I swore I was going to give this some serious thought at the end of the year and, lo and behold, this thread has caught me before I was ready. The day after a devastating loss to our rival, who has had their way with us for the last decade or more, is not the best time. However, I'll give it a go.

My feelings at the moment are that CPJ should stay, but his contract should not be extended, and if it is, a pay raise would not be in order. After our third loss in a row in game 6 of the season, I was leaning towards letting him go, primarily because it was looking like a clown show (with all of the mistakes) where the kids had actually quit on him. Once you lose the kids, it is over. Something has to change under those circumstances, either you go, or many of the kids do. However, since that time, I think the kids have played very hard and seem bought in. I have been a huge fan of the offensive scheme and have also gained confidence in Roof to lead the defense, but I needed to be sure the kids were too.

I don't think there is a single team in the land that would look forward to a match up with GT. We are a very tough opponent, even when the roster isn't where we would all like it to be. In a purely schematic sense, if you take the recruiting effects and so forth out of the equation, I believe this is the best offense currently in CFB, bar none. If you move the pieces on the chess board around, there is simply no way to account for the manpower shortage created by good timely reads in the option game. When you combine that with 4 receivers on every play, it is nuclear. However, you can't just look at the offense in a vacuum like that, because the negative effects
on recruiting have yet to be proven as folly. Until they are, there will always be that argument. Some are already convinced that recruiting will never be good as long as we run this system. I am not in that camp, but I also recognize that we really haven't put the myth to bed yet either. Personally, I think class rankings are a joke, so I don't use them to determine whether or not we are recruiting well. I believe you need 3 years to know for each class. I will say this: there have been too many swings and misses in CPJ's first 3 classes. On the surface it looks like things are much better in the last couple, but we really don't know yet. Guys like Devine and Custis waiting in the wings give me hope.

CPJ is leading the best academic era of GT football IMHO and that carries a lot of weight with me. I am a product of the GT total person concept (Homer Rice) and I buy into that thought process lock, stock, and barrel. We are doing it the right way and I can't tell you much I support it. We need to win more, but we are close.

At present, I am of the opinion that Vad has turned a corner. I thought it might have been so after the Clemson game, but with the thing out of reach so early it was hard to make any sweeping judgments. He played in the UGAg game the way I had hoped he would a little earlier in the season. JT is coming on as well. Good QB play that is designed for this offense will be an elixir. Right about this time in Lil' Joe's career the light was starting to come on. He lit it up in the bowl game. I expect VAd to do the same.
Agree with you on Vad my friend..put him in the spread and you see a good athlete that can make things happen.PJ .......well lets say not impressed this yr with his play calling ..wished we had not thrown sideline pass with six minuets to go but thats his call.If it had worked we would have won but football is not round like the bb.I agree we can get better but in my opinion the option is not a good choice for us to run but we will no matter what.Put us in spread like Carolina,turn Vad loose and lets have some fun.Good idea to get throwback unis too but of course you knew I would say that.Good to see you on the board .

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to win the bowl game...28-24 over the last 4 years isnt good. At least winning the bowl game will give us another 8 win year.

Honestly next year is a big big year for CPJ. I am hoping he gets things corrected and we get back to the 08 and 09 days.

I agree. Next year is a huge year for CPJ. IMO the fork is in the road scenario is laid in front of him. If we have another 7-5 year next year and lose to UGA, Miami, VT, etc... then CPJ is out the door. I like him a lot but I have a hard time seeing any school holding on to a coach who has a losing record of 1-5 to his prime division opponents (Miami, VT) and his arch-rival (UGA). I hope he is able to get us back to the 08-09 days as well. But, IMO we have to recruit a tad better.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My friend PJ did get a start on defense and Roof did well but this year was in my opinion a bad one for offense.I figured wrong.I thought we would do well with ave d and we did not.Still say the option hurts us getting players but if and when we do it will be fun to see but so far in six yrs no fun to be had on consistent basis.
I'm not sure the offense hurts recruiting as much as many people think. Just comparing CPJ to Gailey, who ran a pro set offense, there's no difference at all. When y0u compare with O'Leary, he did better, however, he didn't have APR or post flunkgate affecting who he could offer. Ross was a whole different ball game. That dude had carte blanche, for the most part, with who he could offer.

So I see it as more of a "GT" thing than an "triple option" thing. Everything associated with GT from it's mission to it's fanbase hurts with guys who want a direct, easy, hassle free, media hyped, huge rabid fanbase worship filled route to the NFL.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you on Vad my friend..put him in the spread and you see a good athlete that can make things happen.PJ .......well lets say not impressed this yr with his play calling ..wished we had not thrown sideline pass with six minuets to go but thats his call.If it had worked we would have won but football is not round like the bb.I agree we can get better but in my opinion the option is not a good choice for us to run but we will no matter what.Put us in spread like Carolina,turn Vad loose and lets have some fun.Good idea to get throwback unis too but of course you knew I would say that.Good to see you on the board .
The really frustrating thing about the game and it's outcome is that there were about 10 to 15 opportunities to make a play that would have won the game or made winning the game much more probable. We failed to make a play every. single. time. The coach's job is put his men in position to make plays. It's the player's job to make them. Again, we make just one of these game defining plays, we win. Most of these plays did not require anything extraordinary, either. So disappointing.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
So I see it as more of a "GT" thing than an "triple option" thing. Everything associated with GT from it's mission to it's fanbase hurts with guys who want a direct, easy, hassle free, media hyped, huge rabid fanbase worship filled route to the NFL.

Its never 1 thing. I thinks its a mixture of the Flexbone, the Hill/Flunkgate, etc...

I hate to say it but if there were a way to poll all HS football recruits then I think our offense in terms of attractiveness (what they wanted to play in) in comparison to other offenses would be near the bottom of the poll.