Paul Johnson

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I know we're still within the post-game heartbreaking anguish grace period, but this is all I could think about after the game.

Paul called a good game. He was making Uga's suspect defense look foolish. But again, down the stretch, we lost it. This has become a recurring theme in recent years, our inability to close out games. With losing records to nearly every decent team we play over the past seasons (swept by byu, one win over VT Uga and Miami) does bobinski take action? If so how soon?

I should be grateful for going to a school with world class academics and above average athletics, and I totally am. I just get tired of the same old. Sure we can handle unc, duke, Syracuse etc. But when it comes to games that matter..

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
EVERY game matters. Don't tell me that just games against selected opponents matter. Did the Duke game not matter? Did the Syracuse game not matter? If it didn't matter, would you have been mad if we lost?

Now, I am pretty sure that is not exactly what you meant, but the point remains. CPJ typically wins the ones we are expected to win, and I am grateful for that. CPJ typically loses the ones we are expected to lose, and that is disappointing. What kind of record in games that we are underdogs do you expect to have?

In my humble opinion, CPJ is a good coach who is doing well running the program. Yesterday's game was extremely frustrating, because we all saw victory over our most hated rival snatched away. But I cannot ask for more from CPJ. We were in a position to win.

No, things are not as we hoped. No, we did not beat the dwags. But step back from the ledge. It's going to be ok.

For what its worth (and I don't expect Bobinski to come ask me), I think we need to stick with CPJ. He has the kind of offense that can overcome our disadvantages, and with a good DC (which we have now), things should get better. We should win a few more big games soon. But I guess you never know, right? If I could predict the future, I'd be a rich man.

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
If you compare this game with last year's game we have made a lot of improvement. I thought they played well for the most part. It wasn't a day for kickers though, look at the Iron Bowl.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he's bought himself a little time by us being able to beat everyone we should. I think if recruiting improves which it seems like it is, then we will see positive gains.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a supporter of CPJ. His offense works, and it looks like this year and next he is going to have a good recruiting class. After yesterday I think this team can be pretty decent next year.

Just as important his players and graduating and the whole team hasn't been arrested. Which sadly is now an accomplishment these days.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree that the program as a whole has lots of positives. CPJ runs a tight ship and I really like it that way for our school. My only negative would be recruiting in the past few years and if it's possible to have good to great recruiting classes with the negatives of both tough academics and an unusual offense. It looks as though that is getting better though, albeit very slowly.

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
We have struggled all season with defending the passing game. If our defense is constantly practicing against our style offense, then they are not getting much practice defending the pass. I really believe it's the system. Nobody we play runs our system, so that puts our defense at a disadvantage. If we ran a more traditional style offense, then our defense would be better prepared to defend the pass. It takes practice to get better, but when our defense is practicing against the option all the time it's not helping. I dont think our defense will ever be very good at stopping the pass because of this. Maybe I'm wrong, but does'nt the first team defense practice against the first team offense? If so, then that could be part of the problem. We do have a tendency to make opposing QBs look good, even a backup!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm I satisfied with CPJ? Hell No! Can Tech do better as a coach? Hell Yes. I personally feel Tech can and should be a consistent national contender and I don't believe in the excuses made around here to differ. Does the offensive scheme limit Tech in recruiting? No, it's not the scheme so much as how the scheme is played in game. If we see more of what we saw against UGA then absolutely no Tech would be able to recruit whoever. We need quicker, faster players on offense and we can't do that unless it evolves.

With that said CPJ isn't going anywhere for at least another year. He will be given the opportunity again to make Tech credible.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We have struggled all season with defending the passing game. If our defense is constantly practicing against our style offense, then they are not getting much practice defending the pass. I really believe it's the system. Nobody we play runs our system, so that puts our defense at a disadvantage. If we ran a more traditional style offense, then our defense would be better prepared to defend the pass. It takes practice to get better, but when our defense is practicing against the option all the time it's not helping. I dont think our defense will ever be very good at stopping the pass because of this. Maybe I'm wrong, but does'nt the first team defense practice against the first team offense? If so, then that could be part of the problem. We do have a tendency to make opposing QBs look good, even a backup!
Our D practices against a scout team during the season. During the offseason our O also at times runs scout looks for the D.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"We have struggled all season with defending the passing game."

Who hasn't? Defenses have struggled with the up tempo short passing game for several years.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I feel like we're gonna see a lot more passing very soon. This will help us out tremendously in all aspects. Undersized receivers(playmakers/Abacks) will want to play in the offense. True dual threat QBs, and above average to maybe even elite WRs will commit to us. Not to mention how much it will help our pass defense going against it in practice everyday. Teams have to play our run with 8 guys in the box to stop it, they dare us to pass and we haven't been effective enough to keep them honest. But after last night I see us becoming a very tough out for anybody if we get to throwing the ball around. Just my opinion but this offense could be next to impossible to stop. I support CPJ and he knows his job is on the line next year, he will open up and do what he needs to make us a national contender again.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
The more I think about it, the less I think CPJ deserves to get fired. I don't see anything to make me think anyone else or any other system could do any better. Gailey had NFL talent up and down the roster and IMO didn't do half of what CPJ has been able to do. I think the offense will be deadly next year, just hope someone on the defense can step up. Secondary is sketch at best, and probably won't have much of a pass rush to help them out.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I feel like we're gonna see a lot more passing very soon.
I think he expected/wanted to pass more this year with Vad but we just weren't making the plays. Tevin's biggest improvement came when he learned how to checkdown his passes and FWIW, I saw Vad checkdown a couple of times in the last two games.

And of course, it's not all on Vad. We've also had issues with guys running the wrong routes and poor protection that has affected the passing game.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Pre-season, I posted that we had a lot of positive momentum from gathering a large recruiting class (IMO with good recruits) and a new promising QB. I think we saw that momentum several times this season in the stands, basically full stands vs. VT and vs. Pitt, neither of which brought many fans. We failed to materialize on this potential in the VT case, which cost us the Coastal title (and the uga case). IMO we still had good crowd support (compared to previous 15 years I have been attending the games.)

I think we still have that positive momentum in the program, and CPJ has to build on it:
(1) finish the '14 recruiting class well, and build on with '15 class.
(2) win a lot of games with the easier '14 schedule (I am sure we will discuss the basics of this at length in the off-season)

Do these, and we should extend him at the end of '14. We had similar positive momentum in 09', obviously failed to materialize on it.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
Pre-season, I posted that we had a lot of positive momentum from gathering a large recruiting class (IMO with good recruits) and a new promising QB. I think we saw that momentum several times this season in the stands, basically full stands vs. VT and vs. Pitt, neither of which brought many fans. We failed to materialize on this potential in the VT case, which cost us the Coastal title (and the uga case). IMO we still had good crowd support (compared to previous 15 years I have been attending the games.)

I think we still have that positive momentum in the program, and CPJ has to build on it:
(1) finish the '14 recruiting class well, and build on with '15 class.
(2) win a lot of games with the easier '14 schedule (I am sure we will discuss the basics of this at length in the off-season)

Do these, and we should extend him at the end of '14. We had similar positive momentum in 09', obviously failed to materialize on it.

Does CPJ have to beat U[sic]GA next year to stay?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the coaching decision with respect to Gailey was just U[sic]Ga nor do I think it will be with CPJ. I think it has to do with whether or not we're being competitive or look like we're going to be competitive not just against U[sic]Ga, but also against the ACC.

We are one of only three teams that have not had a losing conference record in the last 6 years with only one .500 season. CPJ's had above .500 conference record for 5 of 6 seasons. Gailey did that twice. Under CPJ, we've been much more competitive in conference play.

U[sic]Ga's outscored us by an average of 264% from 2002-2007 and 178% from 2008-2013. However, if you take away the highs (51-7 in 2002 and 42-10 last year, that difference becomes 171% to 129%. if you also take away the two lows, then it becomes 182% to 138%. By that measure, we've also been more competitive against U[sic]Ga.

I'm not satisfied with the results, but I think that most of our problem has been D, and we look like we're getting that fixed.

gtdrew

Banned
I'm I satisfied with CPJ? Hell No! Can Tech do better as a coach? Hell Yes. I personally feel Tech can and should be a consistent national contender and I don't believe in the excuses made around here to differ. Does the offensive scheme limit Tech in recruiting? No, it's not the scheme so much as how the scheme is played in game. If we see more of what we saw against UGA then absolutely no Tech would be able to recruit whoever. We need quicker, faster players on offense and we can't do that unless it evolves.

With that said CPJ isn't going anywhere for at least another year. He will be given the opportunity again to make Tech credible.
Ok, how does CPJ or any other coach get kids in that can't get past the hill?

Last edited by a moderator: