Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens today

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
SMH that any Tech fans still have to get educated on the difference between cut and chop blocks. It’s amazing that folks fell for the propaganda so easily.

Seems as if the quote you referenced is actually quite opposite of your assertion.

I do think many just did not like sewak’s style / method / philosophy or job guarantee for life.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And getting tackled low causes more lower extremity injuries than getting tackled at the waist.

I’m not arguing it should be banned. I’m just pointing out how silly it is to argue getting hit below the waist doesn’t cause more injuries below the waist.
I hear you and it makes sense. Problem = nobody has been able to actually prove it and that hasn't been for lack of trying. As I said above, I think this might be a result of the large number of knee injuries in football that are non-contact; the injuries caused by lower extremities hits may be masked by that. But doing a study that would allow you to parse that out and get estimates that replicate would be hellishly difficult. And until someone bites the bullet and takes on the work, we'll be spinning our wheels over this.

I'd like an answer myself, but I wouldn't touch this problem with a fork unless I had a team of 20 or so people, several years, and a multi-million dollar budget. So I guess we'll just have to pound salt in the meantime.

ScGold

Banned
By that logic then if CGC has a losing record against an opponent it will mean that opponent has caught up with the system.

Hopefully Tech will start to get a break on scheduling too. I can remember having to play 3 teams in less than 3 weeks, traveling thousands of miles in back to back away games at critical testing points in the semester as well as having key opponents having a week off prior to playing us.
I would suggest u go back and watch cash make his personal high light reel against the guy that adjusts and is techs goat. Go watch his swan song playing against a team that wasn't as good as his? That was fun to watch.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would suggest u go back and watch cash make his personal high light reel against the guy that adjusts and is techs goat. Go watch his swan song playing against a team that wasn't as good as his? That was fun to watch.
What are you talking about?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He must be talking about Jeremy Cash at Duke. We had problems with him all day. Actually Cutcliffe probably did better at beating us with equivalent talent. He ran a ball control passing game that limited our possessions and defended us as well or better than most.

nyto

Georgia Tech Fan
Makes a ton of sense for the Ravens. Run dominate offense. Would love to see a reverse pitch or b-back follow on the goal line or 4th down in the NFL.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at that game - it was one of my first as a student so I remember it well. The refs definitely made some really questionable calls that day

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
ESPN is composed of left wing, blame America first jerks.

And a guy I played h.s. ball with has 2 Super Bowl rings he earned while playing D for the Steelers.

I trust his knowledge of the situation more than espn.
Good lord you are argumentive. I just used ESPN because it sounded like the "Architect of the Steel Curtain" was a phrase you had never heard before. I could have used any number of sources. It certainly was said at the time of Carson's death.

All I know is that Carson invented the cover 2 defense at Tech and was asked by Nolan to bring it to Pittsburgh when he took over as coach of the secondary. When he took over as the DC the Steel Curtain was developed. I know players often did not like him. He was known to make star players sit out games if he thought they were halfing it in practice.
I'm sure your friend has a valid point of view but I also think Nolan had a valid point of view in giving credit to Carson.

This is from memory but I don't think I am wrong that Carson also had success as assistant with the Eagles. I believe it was 1991 that their defense was number one against the run, number one against the pass, and the number one overall defense.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The chiefs did last year. Could probably do some with Lamar Jackson
If you have Mahomes, you just show option and fling the ball from all over the lot. He is one of a small handful of NFL QBs worth the price of admission and the only one who might seriously be considered athletic enough to be a major league middle fielder.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Seems as if the quote you referenced is actually quite opposite of your assertion.

I do think many just did not like sewak’s style / method / philosophy or job guarantee for life.

I was writing in support of his comment. There were multiple people confused about cut vs chop so it was easier to go this route.

ScGold

Banned
Right because only the defense will have the same speed and talent right? Both sides of the ball have the same elite NFL talent. That had always been the dumbest reason why the TO wouldn't work in the NFL. Further, look at the year North Carolina (Butch Davis era) had double digits players on defense alone at the NFL combine, Tech won that game (put like 30 points on them if I remember correctly). That being our college talent vs their future NFL talent. If that yahoo mbob wasnt hired, Paul could have enjoyed more support he had the last couple of years, instead of having to watch every body else surpass us in program funding. Hope CGC can continue to get this level of support during his tenure and I hope he decides to bring the TO back.
That last sentence should be retracted. If u want to watch triple option football start supporting kennesaw st. I'm tired of going into the season knowing we've already lost two games.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
If, as you say, it's considered to be dirty, why is it still allowed? I am asking this, because it seems counterintuitive that a tactic that is seen as universally dirty hasn't been outlawed. I know there are some who consider it to be dirty football. I'm just not so sure it is as widely considered to be so as you imply.

I would also point out that I can't think of a single instance where anyone was injured by one of our cut blocks. Maybe there was one or two, but I can't recall it.

Let's be clear and fair here. I'm not implying anything - the idea that cut blocking is dirty isn't an opinion I'm inventing but one held by many, including plenty of people with no animosity towards GT or PJ. Also, in terms of "still allowed", the Horse Collar Tackle was still allowed up until just a few years ago but is now widely considered dirty football as well and is a 15 yarder. Obviously, as of now, cut blocking is still a legal way to block in football but I'm still of the opinion that it's dirty.
There have been a number of players injured by cut blocking in both college and the NFL. The technique certainly isn't limited to PJ-coached teams!

https://www.chron.com/sports/solomon/article/Cut-blocking-is-legal-but-is-it-ethical-2254311.php

OL Coach Joe Bugel said:
The blocking technique is so controversial that some offensive line coaches refuse to teach it.

Legendary Washington Redskins coach Joe Bugel, whose Hogs were among the most renowned offensive lines in league history, still gets riled up when the topic of cut-blocking comes up.

"We weren't going to jeopardize a man's career by cut-blocking," Bugel said in a phone interview. "The guys I coached, guys like (Hall of Fame guard) Russ Grimm, wouldn't do that. And I wouldn't ask them to."

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Apocryphal story is that CPJ offered a $1000 to any coach who could produce a player who had been knocked out of a game by a cut block.

I doubt the $1000 part but I don't doubt at all that no opposing coach could produce such a player. If they could have they would have.

Saban would've collected an easy $1000.
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2017/10/the_2_views_on_cut_blocks_afte.html

Or that idiot Mike Tomlin:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...s-the-hard-way-that-cut-blocks-are-dangerous/

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you mean over paid QB'S. The reason the Patriots have been so good for so long is because of the discount they are getting from Tom Brady. That's how they can afford to pay for stars and depth at the same time. Look what's happening at Green Bay. AR got the big pay day, but they can't pay a good target or complementing running game. The TO negates all these issues. You're just too caught up in the status quo to see progress. Everything happens in cycles. The option is coming back!

Plenty of QBs are definitely overpaid. But your post doesn't refute the fact that the NFL is a pass-first league and all indicators are that it will continue to be so moving forward. From rules that over-protect the QB to rules that make pass coverage more difficult for NFL CBs...it's obvious that throwing is the way the league is going, not running the Option. NFL RBs are getting paid less and less for good reason - they're a dime a dozen. The Pitt Steelers found this out when they let overpaid crybaby Leveon Bell sit out 2018 and lost almost nothing with paid-much-less James Connor getting snaps.
NFL players won't be running the option anytime soon. You're too caught up in PJ Fandom to see that it just ain't happenin!

Status
Not open for further replies.