Paul Johnson to retire

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Whoever is the replacement, I want someone young and who will sell Atlanta to kids. I am ****ing sick and tired if hearing about our limitations and not about our strengths.

Watch it be some 55 year old white dude who hasn't been in ATL in a decade plus. Because there's nothing at Tech we love more than OWGs.

I don't appreciate the racist and ageist comments. Let's keep this to real qualifications, shall we?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't appreciate the racist and ageist comments. Let's keep this to real qualifications, shall we?

I'll try to re-state what I think he was trying to say. I think it's important for us to sell the city more than it appears we have.

I also think it's important to have a coach who's relatable. Doesn't necessarily mean it can't be an old dude but it'd be tricky to find a fit.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
It's crazy to see how Tech fans outside of this board are compared to GT swarm members. Totally different and really refreshing to see how people outside this board still think highly of our program and are now excited for our future

TechPreacher

Banned
I'll try to re-state what I think he was trying to say. I think it's important for us to sell the city more than it appears we have.

I also think it's important to have a coach who's relatable. Doesn't necessarily mean it can't be an old dude but it'd be tricky to find a fit.

He said what he meant.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
as I said on TOS, I was a big PJ fan before he came to Tech and a Tech fan before PJ was hired. I always thought PJ would be a great fit at Tech because he likes student-athletes, not mercenaries and reprobates. He wants to run a class program with class people who are interested in academics, and he wants to compete and win at the highest level. All that spells Georgia Tech.
And I think he's been a good fit here. Not every year was great. Not every was good. But his good years, and there were some very good years, were damn fun and damn good. Even the bad years were interesting if nothing else.
If he decides to get back into coaching at a later date, I can see him going D3, where athletes are students first. Someone asked me if I thought he would come to Wake or Duke or NC State in a couple of years and I said no, because he'd be right back in the situation that he is leaving.
Oh, and all you Georgia fans out there - do you know how close you came to having the 3O in 1989 with PJ as OC?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
It's crazy to see how Tech fans outside of this board are compared to GT swarm members. Totally different and really refreshing to see how people outside this board still think highly of our program and are now excited for our future

I’ve noticed this as well. The people most down on the GT program are the GT fans . It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. Also from a future of the program perspective a larger problem than anything else at this moment.[/QUOTE]

stech81

Helluva Engineer
First I want to apologize if in the last few hours I have said if I pissed someone off by being smart a**. I know I said I would be fine if CPJ went out on his terms guess it hit me harder then I thought it would . I know some on here wanted him gone and you have that right. I just didn't think we could find someone that we wouldn't have to go back before we see an Improvement. Is our AD going to be able to find one, I hope so. After 37 years I'm still a Tech fan and will die one I guess. I will fully support the next head coach. And again if I said something earlier please forgive me.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’ve noticed this as well. The people most down on the GT program are the GT fans . It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. Also from a future of the program perspective a larger problem than anything else at this moment

We have fans who ran down the program to defend the coach. Crazy is the right description for it.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I can't leave a coherent thought here yet, and will thus be more unleashed than I usually allow myself to be, hence bullet points.

• CPJ's consistent principles, and overall integrity, are truly inspiring, and were a perfect fit for what Tech as an institution likes to think of itself. A very rare fit indeed.
  • He is a HOF coach, fact. You do not get to have many of those for any of the sports teams you follow.
  • The UCF game this year had me beat down and momentarily indifferent to if he stayed or went. I summed it up as "he always tells me that a team improves the most between games 1 & 2 . . . but his seem to fail that test 40% of the years. I have no clue how to fairly judge a college football head coach, but he tells me that is his standard every year, so . . .".
  • The way the team rebounded and ended the season once again renewed my confidence in CPJ's stewardship. I became reasonable again, and could recall all of the institutional limitations, the disgusting nature of the sport at top 25 program level, the new defensive scheme, and injuries, etc., that objectively lowered this teams' ceiling.
Despite my momentary indifference to his continued tenure early this year I never made that public in a way that could ever get back to the program. I go punch a wall or discuss with family after a crappy loss, period.

Last edited by a moderator:

LibertyTurns

Banned
how will that be any different from the last 2 years though? I mean, we had close to 700 yards or something vs USF and lost. Or the opposite, where we slammed our heads into the wall vs Duke and lost 4 of the last 5?

How nice will it be to see an actual, real 2-minute offense, rather than one that involves QB Keepers?

I agree that CPJ was a class guy who graduated players, etc and I salute him for that. And even though I was wrong by 2 years, it was still time for a change. Stagnation and apathy had set in.
I’ll spot you that if you need to score in 2 mins because you’re down by 6 & 80 yds from the endzone, you need a 2 min offense, but what are you going to recommend when we are up by 1 & starting at the wrong 1yd line with 8 mins left, the opposing team has 3 timeouts & you need basically 5 or first downs to win the game? You going to line up with 4 wideouts and chuck the pigskin down the field? There’s a time & place where some offenses are better than others.

You & your ilk almost making me want Stansbury to hire Monken for no other purpose than watching the nuclear explosion on the board. Maybe you can just hope we make a good HC hire & root for the team? After all, you probably & I definitely have ZERO input into the process. A the end of the day, I’m going to be watching GT football next year and every year I’m still breathing regardless of the HC.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Frankly given the circumstances I am really wondering if his was a retirement or a firing. The more I think of it the more I think Johnson is not the kind of guy who runs from a challenge. I know there was a buzz through ACC coaches in the spring that Johnson was one of the coaches on the hot seat -- Fedora was another -- and that he had to win nine games to keep his job. I kind of shrugged it off, but now, given the timing, I think it likely the AD fired him. Otherwise wait until the signing periods, retire, and replace him with an acolyte running the same system. Nah, this just doesn't pass the smell test. The key will be finding out the payoff: $1 million retirement, $4 million firing.