Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
What does UGA have to do with this? Simply comparing Tech coach’s ability to win vs FBS teams.

GOL and CCG did a better job of that than CPJ.
I would like to give the same argument that has been given many times about the adversities coaching at GT when O'Leary did vs CPJ now, but I feel like it has been posted countless times. They are both really good coaches, but comparing them is a mixed bag. Would love to have seen what Paul Johnson could have done right after O'Leary had left though. I think he would have had great success.

O'Leary was an awesome coach though. He would trot out every offense in the book (option, shotgun, I formation, etc.). It was really cool to watch.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like to give the same argument that has been given many times about the adversities coaching at GT when O'Leary did vs CPJ now, but I feel like it has been posted countless times. They are both really good coaches, but comparing them is a mixed bag. Would love to have seen what Paul Johnson could have done right after O'Leary had left though. I think he would have had great success.

Fridge was an awesome coach though. He would trot out every offense in the book (option, shotgun, I formation, etc.). It was really cool to watch.
FTFY. GOL used to be the DC, Fridge was an offensive master and the OC - GOL left him alone (as he should have).

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Forgot Gotsis who is doing quite well. I would put smelter on the list. Wasn’t for injury he still woulda be playing. And what about Cone? Or S Hill? Or .... maybe the list is closer than you think

If I start going down the list of players that has a cup of coffee in the league then Gailey would really blow doors off CPJ.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What does UGA have to do with this? Simply comparing Tech coach’s ability to win vs FBS teams.

GOL and CCG did a better job of that than CPJ.

how do you figure? on an average basis? because I don't ever recall ccg hitting 11 wins, winning acc, winning orange bowl. Blah blah blah. All schools pad schedules. They were padded then too. GOL could NOT beat FSU and the rest of the ACC SUCKED then Duke, Wake, were 2 win programs that were gimmes then; and we still managed to lose to Wake LOL. NC State was not any good a .500 program. It FSU and the 8 dwarfs. We had a 9 team conf where 1/3 of it was gimme wins its not comparable at all im0. GOL tenure here was great because we are all fond of 3iar, plus he helped turn the program around. But to act like the wins under him were any better than under paul is silly. The ACC is a ton tougher now. UGA is ALOT better than under GOL. For me its not even worth it to compare eras. NCAA football in the past 8 years is almost a new era. Like basketball post shot clock.

CCG is not close to CPJ. You can argue some ridiculous arbitrary timeframe of which I can pick another. but paul is and has been way more successful here than CCG.

my point with the schedules is people knocking paul for winning his schedule. AS if to say, 1) he controls that LOL 2) everyone does the same, so its a wash for me. Even in GOL and CCG years we had alot of cupcakes, and a way worse ACC.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If I start going down the list of players that has a cup of coffee in the league then Gailey would really blow doors off CPJ.

yes. Thats not close. the problem is chan sucked. couldn't win and choked talent away that they did a good job bringing along.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You are right. There is parity in the ACC. It is trash across the board (save Clemson). The coastal is the worst division in the P5.

u can't just grab a single year and say this year is proof. Also, as if the SEC East is so great. Its been dog crap until UGA recently. Look at the Big Ten west. Sucks. or that mighty pac 12 south. Every conf has this. The ACC is stronger now than ever.

Yet the ACC has been one of the top 2 conf in football the last 4-5 years, and IIRC the best 2 years ago. Sure its top heaving with Clemson and FSU in the past, jsut like any other conf.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
yes. Thats not close. the problem is chan sucked. couldn't win and choked talent away that they did a good job bringing along.

Your absolutely correct.
I wonder what would the team look like with Tenuta has HC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There is unquestionably an argument to be made that O'Leary was a better coach at GT than CPJ (at least based on just the on-field results). That said, once he had success, he bolted for a better job, so we will never know if he could have kept it up for 11 years.

As for Gailey, I think folks get that the win percentages between Gailey and CPJ are pretty close. The overall win percentage is not the reason most "CPJ fans" want to keep him. The reason most CPJ fans want to keep him is that, despite some bad years, he has had some years with great success. And they are willing to put up with some bad/mediocre years if they also come with that success. For most CPJ fans, these are the comparison stats that matter:

Seasons with more than 7 wins: CCG 1/6 -- CPJ 5/10
Seasons with winning ACC record: CCG 2/6 -- CPJ 7/11
ACC Championship games: CCG 1/6 -- CPJ 3/11
BCS Bowls: CCG 0/6 -- CPJ 2/11
Wins over UGA: CCG 0/6 -- 3/10

First off half of Gailey's years there wasn't an ACC CG so it's 1/3 and so that point is moot, especially since we backed into one of those 3 with Johnson as two coastal members were ineligible. Second, half of his years we only played 11 regular season games and if we added a lower end OOC game, because we still played UConn, Auburn, and ND those three, years and that number for Gailey goes up to 4/6 to 6/11 for Johnson. Not guaranteed but likely. For the ACC record, is 5-3 really that much more noteworthy than 4-4? Had gailey lost to auburn or nd and won an extra game in conference those two years made you look at him any different? Probably not. But Johnson had better years because he went 5-3 while losing to BYU, MTSU, or USF?

At it so often does it seems the main thing is just 2014 and beating UGA. Now I still think a large part of our fanbase is just too obsessed with UGA. Beating them 30% of the time shouldn't be some huge deal imo. That should be expected. Gailey was terrible in that regard, and Johnson isn't terrible. But I don't view being not terrible as a particularly strong argument. And as good as 2014 was it was a recruiting cycle ago, and Johnson really hasn't don't much to make me think that 2014 was anything but an outlier that isn't likely to happen again. When people talk about taking the lower lows to get the higher highs, I don't think that argument holds if the higher highs is just going to be winning 8 or 9 but not even winning the division, if the lower lows means missing bowls.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
First off half of Gailey's years there wasn't an ACC CG so it's 1/3 and so that point is moot, especially since we backed into one of those 3 with Johnson as two coastal members were ineligible. Second, half of his years we only played 11 regular season games and if we added a lower end OOC game, because we still played UConn, Auburn, and ND those three, years and that number for Gailey goes up to 4/6 to 6/11 for Johnson. Not guaranteed but likely. For the ACC record, is 5-3 really that much more noteworthy than 4-4? Had gailey lost to auburn or nd and won an extra game in conference those two years made you look at him any different? Probably not. But Johnson had better years because he went 5-3 while losing to BYU, MTSU, or USF?

At it so often does it seems the main thing is just 2014 and beating UGA. Now I still think a large part of our fanbase is just too obsessed with UGA. Beating them 30% of the time shouldn't be some huge deal imo. That should be expected. Gailey was terrible in that regard, and Johnson isn't terrible. But I don't view being not terrible as a particularly strong argument. And as good as 2014 was it was a recruiting cycle ago, and Johnson really hasn't don't much to make me think that 2014 was anything but an outlier that isn't likely to happen again. When people talk about taking the lower lows to get the higher highs, I don't think that argument holds if the higher highs is just going to be winning 8 or 9 but not even winning the division, if the lower lows means missing bowls.
I agree with this for the most part. The point for me which continues to stick out though, is do I think GT with CPJ and More Money / Focus on recruiting and player development put us in a better position than without him. I think the answer is yes, and until I see results otherwise will continue to support coach and his time at our program.

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
Goose. Key.
Brent Key may very well have what it takes to lead Ga Tech to the promised land. On the other hand, he was the Asst. head coach for O'Leary at UCF in 2015, was he not? Are we willing to risk a chance of the same results? It sure is good that we have a proven winner for now...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Your absolutely correct.
I wonder what would the team look like with Tenuta has HC.

Probably not good. I think he's a pretty good DC, but there's been multiple opportunities for him to be promoted over the years. No program has ever seemed to think he's a good fit for a HC position. And that's after several programs have had him as the AHC/DC.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
u can't just grab a single year and say this year is proof. Also, as if the SEC East is so great. Its been dog crap until UGA recently. Look at the Big Ten west. Sucks. or that mighty pac 12 south. Every conf has this. The ACC is stronger now than ever.

Yet the ACC has been one of the top 2 conf in football the last 4-5 years, and IIRC the best 2 years ago. Sure its top heaving with Clemson and FSU in the past, jsut like any other conf.

The Coastal has been crap since it’s inception. No team has ever even sniffed the playoff.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Lol even if there had been an ACC CG during all of Gailey's years, GT would have still only qualified in 2006.

Gailey lost to Fresno State twice and also lost to BYU.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Goose. Key.

Love Goose. He has shown nothing to indicate he is a head coaching candidate for anyone. Key? Who knows?

Youre talking about replacing a proven winner with guys that haven't exactly ascended the coaching ladder. Both went from coordinators back to position coaches.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol even if there had been an ACC CG during all of Gailey's years, GT would have still only qualified in 2006.

Gailey lost to Fresno State twice and also lost to BYU.

Kansas is probably the worst team Georgia Tech has ever lost to and that includes 80s Furman.

Status
Not open for further replies.