Paul Johnson Radio Show

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here are a few things I jotted down:

Andy said we are tied with Oklahoma and Louisville for the most big plays. So much for our boring offense.

Justin didn't play well, especially in the first half. Not sure why. Maybe something to do with Senior Day.

Senior Day is emotional for the players, but just as much so for the coaches. You know these guys. You know many of their personal issues and school issues and all sorts of things the general public doesn't know. You have seen them work hard over a zillion practices. Hard to think of the last time they'll suit up for you at Bobby Dodd.

Yes, we got pressure pretty well but we also did some good things in coverage. There were times in both of the last two games when the QB had time to throw, but the coverage held the throw up long enough for someone to get there.

Kenny Cooper and Jahaziel Lee were both defensive players in high school. [hmmm. As much as we need defensive help...]

Andy: Defense played much better in the second half. Why was that? A: We tweaked some things at half time. Coverage things. Give the defensive staff credit.

Q from caller: How much do you get involved with the defense? A: I study the other teams offense on Sunday and make notes. I meet with the defensive staff and give them my impressions. Once more later in the week I get together with them and hear what they plan to do. But it's mostly on them. I let them coach.

Andy: Did the VT win give your team confidence they could win on the road? A: Well, I guess. Any time you win it helps. But the players never doubted we could win on the road.

Andy said how big a contributor P J Davis has been. Coach said that he loved PJ when they had him at a camp. From camp and film he said the guy just made tackles all over the field. But he is not going to tell the DC that he must take a player he doesn't like, and the DC at the time thought P J was too small for a linebacker. When the DC was let go, Paul slipped in and offered P J.

Coach said more than once that emotion would not win the game Saturday. It might even work against us. Execution will win the game. Need to play with poise.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Here are a few things I jotted down:

Kenny Cooper and Jahaziel Lee were both defensive players in high school. [hmmm. As much as we need defensive help...]

Yaller, you rock for summarizing that for us!

I do have one small comment regarding the quoted material above.

I thought based on their high school film IMO Kenny Cooper and Jahaziel Lee did not project well as defensive linemen at all. They move well in the forward fashion of an offensive lineman and both have that top heavy OL kind of build. They do not look physically like Cerge-Henderson, Gotsis, Glanton, Gamble, or Kallon (all have lower center of gravity). And their HS film didn't have the explosive lateral/square-to-the-LOS movement you want to see out of a defender. Instead they turn their hips perpendicular to the LOS and chase. Same deal with Laskey playing safety. Just not his natural position.

Because a kid like Shaq, Cooper, or Lee plays a lot on the offensive line as a true people think automatically that they could be doing just as well on the defensive line because they played some HS DL. That doesn't make any sense. Of the three only Shaq's DL film intrigued, and that was more from his bull rushes and forward penetration rather than square pursuit down the line.

The very fact that Cooper and Lee are excelling enough to contribute valuable minutes as a tr-fr on OL should be a confirmation that they are both playing the appropriate position AND that they are needed at that position right now (else they wouldn't be seeing the field). JMHO, Our DL struggles are due to problems recruiting DL, and not due to putting good DL recruits on the OL.

Thanks again for the summary! Just wanted to offer an opinion on the fine point above...

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Andy said how big a contributor P J Davis has been. Coach said that he loved PJ when they had him at a camp. From camp and film he said the guy just made tackles all over the field. But he is not going to tell the DC that he must take a player he doesn't like, and the DC at the time thought P J was too small for a linebacker. When the DC was let go, Paul slipped in and offered P J.

I wish I could have seen CPJ's face while he shared this recollection. I heard the broadcast and could imagine he was very proud of his decision with PJ. FWIW, CPJ also mentioned he took at look at PJ playing safety however the former DC still was not interested.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I thought based on their high school film IMO Kenny Cooper and Jahaziel Lee did not project well as defensive linemen at all. They move well in the forward fashion of an offensive lineman and both have that top heavy OL kind of build. They do not look physically like Cerge-Henderson, Gotsis, Glanton, Gamble, or Kallon (all have lower center of gravity). And their HS film didn't have the explosive lateral/square-to-the-LOS movement you want to see out of a defender. Instead they turn their hips perpendicular to the LOS and chase. Same deal with Laskey playing safety. Just not his natural position.

Because a kid like Shaq, Cooper, or Lee plays a lot on the offensive line as a true people think automatically that they could be doing just as well on the defensive line because they played some HS DL. That doesn't make any sense. Of the three only Shaq's DL film intrigued, and that was more from his bull rushes and forward penetration rather than square pursuit down the line.

The very fact that Cooper and Lee are excelling enough to contribute valuable minutes as a tr-fr on OL should be a confirmation that they are both playing the appropriate position AND that they are needed at that position right now (else they wouldn't be seeing the field). JMHO, Our DL struggles are due to problems recruiting DL, and not due to putting good DL recruits on the OL.

Thanks again for the summary! Just wanted to offer an opinion on the fine point above...

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

You are most welcome on the thanks.

This is good to know (about the skill set of the defensive players turned offensive. ) At first glance it appeared to be a case of Paul robbing the most athletic lineman for his side of the ball.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for your write up as well.

Adding speed to ol has been a great addition. Cooper is very agile in tight space-did he wrestle in high school?

I AM NOT SAYING TO TRY BRAUN ON DL.
Using your observations can u project how well Parker would do on DL and what position

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Most good HS linemen play both ways unless they are at a school that has enough skilled linemen to platoon. Will played DE for 3 years in HS and was a TE before becoming a LT. GT recruits athletic linemen.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I was worried how PJ would handle the call about Justin not always carrying out his fakes. Given the answer, it sounds like it is something PJ and Cook have been on JT about for a while.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was worried how PJ would handle the call about Justin not always carrying out his fakes. Given the answer, it sounds like it is something PJ and Cook have been on JT about for a while.
I noticed this in replay of a game last year. Someone (maybe longest during unc) pointed out that when it was a called dive jt did not look at defender. He looked at bb the whole time.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JT gives/gave away the dive from day 1 with where he is looking. He looks backwards on a dive. Tim is the only one I seen carry out fakes. JT did carry out fakes for a short while last year.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The play happens so fast on a called dive it doesn't really need to be carried out. However, on a TO give it is good to carry it out. One thing to remember is that if you carry out the fake you can be hit. If you are banged up, I can see telling JT not to carry them out.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The play happens so fast on a called dive it doesn't really need to be carried out. However, on a TO give it is good to carry it out. One thing to remember is that if you carry out the fake you can be hit. If you are banged up, I can see telling JT not to carry them out.
I would mention to you that lb and safeties could be - coached to read his head position and get a fraction of a second brake to stop a long gain once past the dl. Agree it's to quick for d line.

It sure seems like teams are looking for any edge they can get

Sean311

Helluva Engineer

He also doesn't turn his head to the pitch man when he's trying to fake pitch..which really gets under my skin.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I would mention to you that lb and safeties could be - coached to read his head position and get a fraction of a second brake to stop a long gain once past the dl. Agree it's to quick for d line.

It sure seems like teams are looking for any edge they can get

I disagree. LBs have a call pre-snap, and are playing their responsibility when JT hands the ball off. If they pause and wait to read JTs head, Freddie Burden will put them on their ***.