Paul Johnson Radio Show - Tonight

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I am a little upset about how coach answered that "controversial" questions. Listening from the radio, the caller didnt seem antagonizing at all.

I have to disagree; as someone in the live audience, the sense that I got from that call was really "gosh Coach, I expect a lot from this team—why are you satisfied with a seven win-season followed by a bowl loss?" There was nothing constructive in that call; it was purely a gripe about the team not winning enough. How is that not antagonizing, to a guy like CPJ? Anyone with 3/17ths of a brain knows that he is competitive by nature, and wants to win every game if possible. To throw out a question that implies Coach doesn't care about winning (or doesn't know how to make wins happen) is a slap in the face; doing so while managing to sound "reasonable" or "polite" doesn't change the fact that it is nothing more than poorly disguised criticism.

Granted, Coach didn't answer the question as diplomatically as he might have—but why should he have to? We all know he doesn't suffer fools, and that particular question rated pretty high on the a**-hat-o-meter. I commented a few posts back about the look on Coach's face during this question. It was something I read as, "Really? This again? Thanks for being the one Tech fan who cares about wins; the rest of us are sitting around stunned with the brilliance of your insight that 'winning=good'; it sure never occurred me."

What's more, it seemed evident from Brandon's reaction that the caller's question was not what he was expecting; when a caller says one thing to the screener and then asks something else, it's a pretty sure bet that that person was grinding a personal axe, nothing more. Why should fans wanting to support the team have to endure that?

Swarm3

Georgia Tech Fan
Brigham has a concussion and is out of the first game. He received it at the end of camp and is being monitored by the doctors and training staff. Prior to the concussion, Brigham was solidly in the 2 deep as RT guard. It will depend when he is cleared as to where he will play when he returns.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree; as someone in the live audience, the sense that I got from that call was really "gosh Coach, I expect a lot from this team—why are you satisfied with a seven win-season followed by a bowl loss?" There was nothing constructive in that call; it was purely a gripe about the team not winning enough. How is that not antagonizing, to a guy like CPJ? Anyone with 3/17ths of a brain knows that he is competitive by nature, and wants to win every game if possible. To throw out a question that implies Coach doesn't care about winning (or doesn't know how to make wins happen) is a slap in the face; doing so while managing to sound "reasonable" or "polite" doesn't change the fact that it is nothing more than poorly disguised criticism.

Granted, Coach didn't answer the question as diplomatically as he might have—but why should he have to? We all know he doesn't suffer fools, and that particular question rated pretty high on the a**-hat-o-meter. I commented a few posts back about the look on Coach's face during this question. It was something I read as, "Really? This again? Thanks for being the one Tech fan who cares about wins; the rest of us are sitting around stunned with the brilliance of your insight that 'winning=good'; it sure never occurred me."

What's more, it seemed evident from Brandon's reaction that the caller's question was not what he was expecting; when a caller says one thing to the screener and then asks something else, it's a pretty sure bet that that person was grinding a personal axe, nothing more. Why should fans wanting to support the team have to endure that?

Understand what you are saying, but I am visualizing how many other successful coaches would have handled the question. These situations are not Paul's strongest area and still do not serve him, or GT, well.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
** cough ** Mark Richt ** cough, cough **

Sorry, need to get on that 'quil.

Like Erest Angley, say ("FAKE") baby
0.jpg

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Guy was a douche, despite not being angry. Gaudin didn't have to step in. I thought Coach gave a fair answer for that kind of question

For any of you with an Android or iPhone, spend the few bucks and get pocket casts, then add GT Athletics. They post all the shows soon after air. I listened to it after and fast forwarded through the commercials(sorry IMG)

GTFLETCH

Banned

Yea that caller had nothing to say but complaining, I think the caller was asking are you making BIG changes to win more then 7 games! CPJ answered it fine, and for the caller who has not followed the offseason yes we are going back to the option (we got away from it with VAd) and we are year two in CTR defense which was improved last year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Understand what you are saying, but I am visualizing how many other successful coaches would have handled the question. These situations are not Paul's strongest area and still do not serve him, or GT, well.
It is what it is. The caller baited coach and got exactly what he wanted, a smart *** answer. But that's what a smart *** question deserves in my book. A coach's call in show is not the place to bait and switch blatently obvious criticism with no real question behind it. "You sucked last year and seem fine with it, coach, are you doing anything different this year?" is what I got out of that caller's question. I don't expect any coach to suffer that kind of bs on the eve of a new season.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Eric and others have summarized about all I can remember. I'll try to add a few things. Coach wants to play the first and second offensive lines as units Saturday rather than subbing here and there...8-9 true freshmen will play this year....Q: Isn't JT short? A: Well, he's always been short, so he knows some techniques to help with that. If he does a straight backup to pass, then his height can be a problem. So we'll play action and roll him out a lot...Paul Davis and Quayshawn will start at linebacker. Tyler has been injured lately...CJ Leggett has had a hamstring problem for a while now and won't play Saturday.

I didn't catch the snarkiness in the caller. Maybe I had wandered away from the radio when he called. I will say, though, that PJ has an extremely thin skin. Not a big deal to me. Just part of his makeup.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, the caller shouldn't be allowed to ask rude questions even when they try to sound polite.

I agree. As much as we like to think of the team as "our's", Paul Johnson doesn't report to us. He's not directly responsible to us for his performance as a coach.

Does that mean we have to be happy with whatever team he runs out there? No, of course not. But calling him up and confronting him is over the line.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Caller: CPJ your teams performance has not met my expectations and what are you doing to do to meet my expectations?

CPJ: I just don't know how to answer that... (I don't answer dumb questions because there is such a thing as a dumb question)

Real answer : Well, I fired Al Groh, hired a special teams coach, I stopped listening to fans and am going back to what I know, new QBs that are bought in, recruiting is improving.

Better Question: What areas are you improving or changing to help increase the teams odds of winning.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Caller: CPJ your teams performance has not met my expectations and what are you doing to do to meet my expectations?

CPJ: I just don't know how to answer that... (I don't answer dumb questions because there is such a thing as a dumb question)

Real answer : Well, I fired Al Groh, hired a special teams coach, I stopped listening to fans and am going back to what I know, new QBs that are bought in, recruiting is improving.

Better Question: What areas are you improving or changing to help increase the teams odds of winning.
I'd also add increasing the recruiting staff and budget while adding Roof and Pelton are a few other big changes that appear to be paying off.