Paul Johnson just on with Wes and Packer on ACC Radio...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The growl is something I find insufferable ... Was hoping I could get used to it...

On a positive note, Wiley is just so entertaining and well prepared. He seem to relate with the players very well having just graduated. I think younger announcers like Wiley or Andy are the way to go. Most of alum are younger since the school has gotten larger in the last 20 years.

And the old ones generally give up from the disappointment. Some of us aren't that smart though :whistle: Just give us a few months off and we're ready for more.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he’s uncomfortable at all. I think he’s been answering the same dumb *** questions, asked by people who think they know what they’re talking about, for 30 something years. When someone who knows what they’re talking about asks him good questions, he’s almost always engaging, funny, etc. I’d like to see how funny and engaging posters on here would be after enduring people who don’t actually understand your job questioning your every move for that length of time. Add to that the fact that our local media is generally trying to take jabs at our program no matter the coach in order to entertain the larger fan base of uga. In CPJs case the narrative has always been that he’s a jerk with no sense of humor, which anyone who has actually been paying attention knows is not the case. This conversation comes up every time we lose a few games. Saban is a much bigger a******, but has won a lot more.

I agree that CPJ is not normally a jerk and that he does have a sense of humor. I also agree that Saban and Belichik, for example, are far bigger jackholes (but they win at an outrageous rate and people will put up with crap from winners far more readily). You are correct that it can be a drain to have to respond to questions from some who have an agenda (been there myself where people in the room are peppering me with questions designed to make me and the product I am demonstrating look bad). But you know what almost never works? It's almost never a good idea to let people see that they are getting to you or that circumstances are putting you on edge. I said "almost", not never. Sometimes it's good to push back and I think most of the time that CPJ is doing that it's justified.

I can understand if he doesn't like answering questions about his offense from people who don't understand it as well as he does. The fact is that he's one of the few that does understand it as deeply and as such he's going to get questions about it. If you do something different than the norm then be prepared to answer questions about it when it doesn't work (and by not working I mean that the team isn't winning, not that the offense isn't working, I'm actually a big fan of the TO offense). I listen to many of the audio clips and I don't find the questions to be stupid most of the time. And I actually don't have a problem with how CPJ responds most of the time. I think that the vast majority of the time he's answering questions honestly in a "no-BS" way and that can be very refreshing and sometimes the press guys don't really know how to roll with that (they are not used to actual truth). After the Pitt game I thought he was honest and fair in his assessment and answers to questions. After the USF game, on the other hand, he sounded more frustrated than he normally is after a loss. That led to absolutely blaming others including the players and the officials outright. He was unpleasant to reporters who were just doing their jobs. About half way through that press conference he calmed down and was back to his normal self but for the first few minutes he was a jerk.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that CPJ is not normally a jerk and that he does have a sense of humor. I also agree that Saban and Belichik, for example, are far bigger jackholes (but they win at an outrageous rate and people will put up with crap from winners far more readily). You are correct that it can be a drain to have to respond to questions from some who have an agenda (been there myself where people in the room are peppering me with questions designed to make me and the product I am demonstrating look bad). But you know what almost never works? It's almost never a good idea to let people see that they are getting to you or that circumstances are putting you on edge. I said "almost", not never. Sometimes it's good to push back and I think most of the time that CPJ is doing that it's justified.

I can understand if he doesn't like answering questions about his offense from people who don't understand it as well as he does. The fact is that he's one of the few that does understand it as deeply and as such he's going to get questions about it. If you do something different than the norm then be prepared to answer questions about it when it doesn't work (and by not working I mean that the team isn't winning, not that the offense isn't working, I'm actually a big fan of the TO offense). I listen to many of the audio clips and I don't find the questions to be stupid most of the time. And I actually don't have a problem with how CPJ responds most of the time. I think that the vast majority of the time he's answering questions honestly in a "no-BS" way and that can be very refreshing and sometimes the press guys don't really know how to roll with that (they are not used to actual truth). After the Pitt game I thought he was honest and fair in his assessment and answers to questions. After the USF game, on the other hand, he sounded more frustrated than he normally is after a loss. That led to absolutely blaming others including the players and the officials outright. He was unpleasant to reporters who were just doing their jobs. About half way through that press conference he calmed down and was back to his normal self but for the first few minutes he was a jerk.
I appreciate an agree with almost all of this. I feel like CPJ started showing higher levels of frustration last season than I had ever noticed before. I think 2015 he could attribute to injuries, but last year I think he was at a loss as to what the problem was, and it showed. He was clearly frustrated in the USF postgame, but what you saw as being a jerk just looked to me like him very truthfully pointing out some things that turned the game. The refs did eject 2 of our best defenders, and that fumble was a killer. That being said, he probably should have kept those comments to himself. CPJ during his first several seasons probably wouldn’t have brought up the fumble, and would have said “one play never defines a whole game.” I think the 2017 season on the heals of the 2015 season has really affected him.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
PJ just isn't comfortable with the press. Just watch how he rubs his arm, adjusts his hat, glances around, etc during the questions. It just isn't his thing. I think sometimes he is brutally honest with his assessments to the point it sounds like he is making excuses.

Go back and read the transcripts with the Annapolis writer when PJ was coach at Navy. They're pretty funny. You can tell the guy got PJ's sense of humor. PJ is very sarcastic and will sometimes see just how much you can handle his sense of humor. I have a friend who covered PJ at another stop and it took him a while to get used to PJ's humor and now he thinks the world of PJ.
But one thing PJ didn't have to do - even though he was available every day from Monday through Thursday after practice, I know because I saw it - was answer the "so how was practice today" question every single day. He also didn't have to deal with much if any sports talk boobs before coming to Tech.
PJ forged really good relationships with the media in Statesboro and Savannah. Of course, there he could and would go off the record a lot. It's hard to do that in Atlanta when there's a microphone every time you turn around.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Now aren't you the cheerful advocate.

Use to love listening to the radio broadcast of the game, even while at the game.

Can no longer get GT football on the radio, but gsu radio broadcasts come in loud and clear.

No school is trying harder to become 3rd class like we are.