Paul Johnson effect on Quick Lane Bowl Ratings

Will 2018 Quick Lane Bowl have the most Attendance & TV viewers in its short history

• Yes

Votes: 57 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 50.9%

• Total voters

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t say he mistreated the media. Just was stating that he was never proactive in engaging the media, locally or nationally. He was a playcaller, not a salesman. Not something he cared about, or spent time
Investing in. As a result, PJ isn’t a brand name at all, despite an impressive resume, and I doubt it being his last game is really on anyone’s radar enough to impact attendance or ratings.
I wouldn't argue with much of your argument, but he was hired as a playcaller with "sales" tucked in their among "relations". But no problem. As for attendance or ratings, I do not recall ever even being curious about a coach's last game. How much talking up and down the sidelines can one endure? I doubt even John Wooden's last game did much for either. Next man up.

slugboy

Staff member
Lots of Vegas heavy action was on Tech minus the points, there were eyes on the game for that reason only. I thought ESPN did a horrible job paying tribute to Paul.

Based on the first series, I think they had a lot of content queued up on the 3O. We laid such an egg, they may not have been able to use it or figure out what to do next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of Vegas heavy action was on Tech minus the points, there were eyes on the game for that reason only. I thought ESPN did a horrible job paying tribute to Paul.

Did he really deserve a big tribute? He's pretty much told everyone he isn't really retiring, he essentially just stepped down for a modified buyout

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Based on the first series, I think they had a lot of content queued up on the 3O. We laid such an egg, they may not have been able to use it or figure out what to do next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ESPN did a horrible job. Period.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
ESPN did a horrible job. Period.

A terrible football game, especially by GT, between two bad football teams. What do you really expect ESPN to do about it? Even the refs mailed it in on this game. That out of bounds call on the long Gophers touchdown pass was a complete botch job.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A terrible football game, especially by GT, between two bad football teams. What do you really expect ESPN to do about it? Even the refs mailed it in on this game. That out of bounds call on the long Gophers touchdown pass was a complete botch job.
I don't expect any announcer to hype chopped liver. I expect every announcer to keep track of the play, keep track of the players and the substitutions, and to know enough background on key players to keep it filled in. In short, do their job. It is up to the teams to hype the play. That was a 4th string crew covering a 4th string bowl which featured two marginal teams, one of which came to actually play the game.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think CPJ is sadly mistaken if he thinks he'll ever coach another P5 school.

I think he could return to a service academy or perhaps a place like Southern. Given the success of Ken. N. and Monken the past few years that hasn't resulted in a P5 gig for either and given the way things ended here, I agree with you though.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I think he could return to a service academy or perhaps a place like Southern. Given the success of Ken. N. and Monken the past few years that hasn't resulted in a P5 gig for either and given the way things ended here, I agree with you though.
Monken would be my choice over Ken or CPJ if I wanted to go that route.

Maybe an Oregon State, Baylor, Iowa State, Indiana, Illinois, Rutgers would be willing to go that way.