Paul Johnson article

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone explain where the Author sourced his rankings within the ACC? For instance; He said in 2008 we were sixth in the conference. We were 5-3 and tied for 1st in the Coastal Division. Is he saying there were 5 Atlantic Division teams with conference records better than 5-3?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
One thing that upsets me about Paul Johnson is his attitude toward Georgia Tech. He is always making statements about how we are about as good as we have always been and words to the effect that we should not expect to be any better than a 6 out of 10 program. To me that is not good leadership. A leader comes in, finds out why we are stuck at 60%, develops a plan to get better than that, implements that plan and holds everyone to a higher standard so the plan can be realized. With Johnson, to me, it feels like he thinks maintaining the status quo is his mission and we should be thankful he has been able to maintain that.

I think he has had enough time to show us what he can do. After this season, if we are still a 60% program, I think it is time to find new leadership with higher expectations. I like Paul and think he is a good coach but I think there are a lot of guys out there that could get us to a higher level and I am about ready to try one of them.

Go Jackets!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
One thing that upsets me about Paul Johnson is his attitude toward Georgia Tech. He is always making statements about how we are about as good as we have always been and words to the effect that we should not expect to be any better than a 6 out of 10 program. To me that is not good leadership. A leader comes in, finds out why we are stuck at 60%, develops a plan to get better than that, implements that plan and holds everyone to a higher standard so the plan can be realized. With Johnson, to me, it feels like he thinks maintaining the status quo is his mission and we should be thankful he has been able to maintain that.

I think he has had enough time to show us what he can do. After this season, if we are still a 60% program, I think it is time to find new leadership with higher expectations. I like Paul and think he is a good coach but I think there are a lot of guys out there that could get us to a higher level and I am about ready to try one of them.

Go Jackets!

This bothers me as well.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!

I gotta say I like CPJ a lot too. However to me the fork is in the road at this point. I am hoping he succeeds because he is a solid coach in my book.

I am a believer in the flexbone. It works just like any offense does if executed properly.

Yellow Jacket nation wants more and deserves more than just mediocrity.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the impression CPJ is happy to maintain the status quo. I don't get that at all. I think he wants to win them all, especially against the factories, to prove his system can overcome the odds. This is why I like him.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the impression CPJ is happy to maintain the status quo. I don't get that at all. I think he wants to win them all, especially against the factories, to prove his system can overcome the odds. This is why I like him.

I think this is probably right. I think he brings up the historical record, not to say that we are doing fine, but only in rebuttal to those who assert that we are doing aweful.

Like others though, this is clearly an important year for his tenure. I still hope he can turn things around, but am not sure how much longer he has.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
He is an "interesting" coach with a unique offense but the fact is his Defenses and/or STs have sucked so badly .his overall product is just about average for Tech--and unfortunately trending down over last 4 yrs.
He had his chance last yr to hit a peak with multiple Srs but blew it.It will be very surprising if this yr will be any better as his recruiting just does not input the talent level to recharge quickly.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am just not going to make CPJ's fate a large part of my consciousness. If he gets let go, I will worry about it then. I would rather focus on the kids and the upcoming season's opponents. It almost seems to me that many of us are at least as much focused on the coaching drama as we are the games. I don't find coaching musical chairs enjoyable enough to follow. I like football. I like discussing his coaching system and tendencies etc, but obsessing over his fate holds very little entertainment value for me. I must be weird in that sense. I understand we are all different, but that is just me.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed.. Seems like people don't like the fact that in the last 20+ years we have not been dominant. Period, end of story.

I always felt like he mentions that as a reminder to keep expectations ground in reality. We are a top 10 public school in academics. That makes it VERY hard to go out and get the type of athlete who powerhouse teams are built around. My priority is keeping the academic integrity and rigor of the school. That's why I went to GT.

Now, having said that I want to win as much as the next guy - and believe CPJ gives us the best opportunity in the academic environment we are in. No trouble makers, very little scandal, and a high graduation rate are barometers of success as well, and I believe they often get overlooked by Media and sidewalk fans.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

I agree DCS. However, it "seems" that when he is questioned about the success of the program he reverts to the "we are about as good as we have always been" comments and that to me is not a good response. Maybe I am wrong in my perception of how he is responding to the question.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Agreed.. Seems like people don't like the fact that in the last 20+ years we have not been dominant. Period, end of story.

I always felt like he mentions that as a reminder to keep expectations ground in reality. We are a top 10 public school in academics. That makes it VERY hard to go out and get the type of athlete who powerhouse teams are built around. My priority is keeping the academic integrity and rigor of the school. That's why I went to GT.

Now, having said that I want to win as much as the next guy - and believe CPJ gives us the best opportunity in the academic environment we are in. No trouble makers, very little scandal, and a high graduation rate are barometers of success as well, and I believe they often get overlooked by Media and sidewalk fans.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't find coach firing talk interesting as well.

I would rather talk players and scheme.

That article seems upbeat in general.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
This guy (CPJ) is driven. He just cant handle the constant questions surrounding his offense. I am still all in with our coach and often just skip over the cmments concerning his future. It will take care of itself .

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This guy (CPJ) is driven. He just cant handle the constant questions surrounding his offense. I am still all in with our coach and often just skip over the cmments concerning his future. It will take care of itself .
So you're saying he finds the constant harping on his offense, offensive?