Paul Johnson: #9 Most Powerful Coach in CFB

Status
Not open for further replies.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No one pined for Chan in any way, but you cannot fire Chan for one level of performance and then say "we love CPJ" for putting out that same level of performance.

Those kinds of inconsistent standards will lead to a losing culture and a poorly run organization (see GTAA).

If we fire Chan for his last 4 yr. run of 30-21, then we HAVE TO fire CPJ for his last 4 years of 28-24, no matter what it costs, once you set a standard, you don't lower your standards, not even for a huge buyout.

Allowing "money" to give a poorly performing HC any sense of job security, sends the wrong message to your fanbase.

Do you guys want to talk CFB on a mature level dealing with results and real facts or do you want to pacify each other and throw around accusations?

If Chan had ended his last yr. of that 30-21 four yr. run by losing a 20-0 lead at home vs. UGA's back up QB, vs. a very flawed UGA team, there would be a 100% consensus to fire Chan, and they would be right.

I don't pine for Chan, I do pine for a better FB program and a better HC.

I don't get attached to HCs, I am attached to GT FB.

Too many of you guys have an emotional attachment to CPJ and it is clouding your judgment about GT's FB Program.
That's where you're wrong, or more precisely, probably wrong. That fact is we don't know exactly why Chan was fired. Yes, his bottom line performance had something to do with it. But I suspect it had more to do with the fact that it did not appear that he was building anything. Yes, he just landed an outstanding recruiting class, but that was too little too late in the opinion of those who mattered. It also appeared that he squandered talent he had in previous years.

CPJ, on the other hand, has shown he can compete on a very high level with a small handful of blue chip players. Where he's faltered is in replenishing those key players and in his abyssmal DC hires. Other factors beyond his control have hurt, too, like coaches leaving for better jobs and a rash of injuries to key areas. However, he has done some things the previous coach didn't. He's continuously made changes to staff and strategy. As I've stated many times, the learning curve at GT is much steeper than almost any other place. It appears he's gotten some things figured out based on our current class which looks like the best one of his tenure.

I'd really love to know if you were on any other boards and what your handle was. You sound very familiar to me and many others.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If we fire Chan for his last 4 yr. run of 30-21, then we HAVE TO fire CPJ for his last 4 years of 28-24, no matter what it costs, once you set a standard, you don't lower your standards, not even for a huge buyout.

But they are not going to fire him this year or next year unless the freaking wheels fall off so chill out, your not going to get what you want anytime soon. all people like you are doing is creating diversion within our fanbase and hurting recruiting with your constant negativity.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
No one pined for Chan in any way, but you cannot fire Chan for one level of performance and then say "we love CPJ" for putting out that same level of performance.

Those kinds of inconsistent standards will lead to a losing culture and a poorly run organization (see GTAA).

Allowing "money" to give a poorly performing HC any sense of job security, sends the wrong message to your fanbase.

Do you guys want to talk CFB on a mature level dealing with results and real facts or do you want to pacify each other and throw around accusations?

If Chan had ended his last yr. of that 30-21 four yr. run by losing a 20-0 lead at home vs. UGA's back up QB, vs. a very flawed UGA team, there would be a 100% consensus to fire Chan, and they would be right.

I don't pine for Chan, I do pine for a better FB program and a better HC.

I don't get attached to HCs, I am attached to GT FB.

Too many of you guys have an emotional attachment to CPJ and it is clouding your judgment about GT's FB Program.
You're the only one getting emotional. Answer my earlier question or admit that you're just trolling.

That's where you're wrong, or more precisely, probably wrong. That fact is we don't know exactly why Chan was fired. Yes, his bottom line performance had something to do with it. (1) But I suspect it had more to do with the fact that it did not appear that he was building anything. Yes, he just landed an outstanding recruiting class, but that was too little too late in the opinion of those who mattered. It also appeared that he squandered talent he had in previous years.

CPJ, on the other hand, has shown he can compete on a very high level with a small handful of blue chip players. (2)Where he's faltered is in replenishing those key players and in his (3) abyssmal DC hires. Other factors beyond his control have hurt, too, like coaches leaving for better jobs and a rash of injuries to key areas. However, he has done some things the previous coach didn't. He's continuously made changes to staff and strategy. As I've stated many times, the learning curve at GT is much steeper than almost any other place. It appears he's gotten some things figured out based on (4) our current class which looks like the best one of his tenure.

I'd really love to know if you were on any other boards and what your handle was. You sound very familiar to me and many others.

1) After CPJ's last 4 years it doesn't appear he is building anything either, so we punish (fire ) one HC for not building anything, but when the next guy does the same thing we give him 2 more years.

2) CPJ hasn't recruited well at all, yet we fired CCG after getting a top-20 class and he was en route to another top-20 class in 2008 when fired, in your opinion CPJ's up coming class is a reason to keep him, yet Chan's upcoming 2008 class didn't factor in the decision to fire him, lots of inconsistency there.

3) Every CEO is judged on how well he fills key positions, and IMO CPJ has struck out 3 times with all his DCs including CTR, CTR didn't improve the Defense, but instead all the stars lined up when we got UVA, Cuse, and Pitt all coming in with T-Fr. or RS-FR OTs and OLs, for example vs. UGA in OT our so-called 9th ranked rushing defense gave up 4 carries for 50 yds. and 2 TDs, and avg. of 12.5 yds. per carry with the GAME on the line, our D-stats have been complied vs. woeful offenses and woeful OLs.

4) this current recruiting class is ranked #44 so far ,and it is not likely to get into the top-20 after NSD, 44th ranked recruiting classes won't help us beat UGA and get 10-win seasons, no way can this be considered a reason to keep an under performing HC.

Chan should have been fired, I have no problem with that, but this idea that GT is so different that HCs need 8-10 years to see if they are the right guy is ludicrous, CPJ's last 4 years have shown us that he is the wrong guy for GT FB, horrible staffing decisions, poor recruiting, and horrible in-game decisions.

How can you defend a HC on the BCS level that after 6 full seasons, still cannot teach his team to run an efficient 2-min. offense?

I've lurked but never posted, and when I read something interesting, I'll do my research and if it is correct, then I will reuse that info as I see fit.

Do you ever reuse info from other posters when you try to make a point, does that mean you were once someone else?

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Klaus: I may be wrong, but I think a lot of the big contributors for Tech are deceased. I understand there are a few left, but probably not enough to cough up big money to pay off the JP debt. I blame the AD who just went to Clemson for extending his salary another 6 years and then leaving. I know there is a stigma about conspiracies, but it sure looks funny to me. There was a certain group of individuals of one belief who were upset when O'Leary was nor rehired, and these same individuals did not like it when Chan Gailey was hired (different beliefs). These same individuals tried to get Chan Gailey and Dave Braine fired before Gailey ever coached his first game. When the aforementioned AD was hired, I noted his belief's and said to myself, "Uh Oh, this is not good". Maybe the Trojan Horse had just entered Troy.

gtdrew

Banned
I disagree that Ted Roof didn't improve the defense, as would anyone who watched the games. If you can't honestly, and without bias, look at what our defense did this year as opposed to the last two and NOT see an improvement, then you have clearly indicated to me how seriously your opinion should be taken regarding matters of football in the future.

Regarding CPJ's record in recruiting, I will readily admit that there have been some "misses" in areas that were important moving forward. However, if you give him the blame for that, you also have to give him credit for turning kids like Robbie Godhigh and Jemea Thomas into outstanding football players. Both of these kids were overlooked completely out of high school, and both turned into monsters for this program. That credit goes to CPJ.

This recruiting class appears to be completely different. I've not seen a class during CPJ's time here where I watch their highlight packages and think that they ALL could be starters or key contributors. The class rankings don't mean much to be, because of the subjective nature of recruiting sites and due to the fact that CPJ looks for different traits in his athletes than many schools do in theirs. Given that fact, AND the academic restrictions placed on this program that many other program's DON'T have to deal with (Calc. 1, lab science, etc.), I think this recruiting class coming in is as good as anyone can reasonably expect, and one of the better ones we've had since the mid-90's.

Chan Gailey created, in my opinion, a culture of apathy and stagnation during his time at GT. Say what you will about CPJ, but everyone has an opinion of his program. Positive or negative, people talk about the program more than they did under Gailey. Ticket sales have remained steady or even increased slightly during CPJ's time here, and that's a good thing too.

Klaus, it really seems to me like you want to give CPJ all of the blame and none of the credit. And that's fine. You're entitled to do that. But don't expect anyone to take your side or even take your opinion seriously as long as you refuse to acknowledge the good that Coach Johnson has done for this program.

gtdrew

Banned
I don't have an agenda, other than rational discussion.

Clemson was REALLY, REALLY good on offense this year. Particularly when we played them. I also find it curious that all three games you mentioned were on the road. Miami still had Duke Johnson and BYU was just a bad matchup. These things happen to every program & coach. Not just ours. I thought the defense played MUCH better at home, even against u(sic)ga, until I thought we got tired and our lack of depth showed. I'd be much more likely to lend credibility to anything you're saying if you'd just say, "hey we got tired at times" or "building depth has to be priority #1 moving forward." I don't have issue with that. At all. But for you to look at BYU, Miami, and Clemson and see only "OMG OUR D DIDNT IMPROVE FIRE JOHNSON FIRE ROOF FIRE IN THE HOLE" shows me a glaring lack of football knowledge. Those were all road games against talented, senior-laden, deep teams with Big O-Lines and explosive skill players. If you can't understand that those factors will effect most, if not all, college football programs, then I don't know what else to tell you, other than you're just wrong. You are. The defense improved this year. Markedly. It bears out in numbers and in the eyeball test. Your refusal to admit that bears out an agenda that runs perpendicular to what is best for this program. I expect more improvement moving forward. Dave Wommack and Al Groh each got at least two seasons to install their defense. I expect Ted Roof's results will far surpass those two when given an equal amount of time.

With a first year starting QB, an injury-laden offensive line, and a defense that had players on it who were playing for (I believe) their 3rd coordinator, I am not furious over a 7-6 season. If this occurs next year, with a returning starter @ qb, improved depth @ WR and RB, as well as an additional year to install a defense, I may change my tune. Patience is a virtue. Depth was an issue when CPJ took over, and that's not an issue that's easily fixed. Particularly with the attrition he faced his first couple years in the program. Perspective is key.

Yellow Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't have an agenda, other than rational discussion.

Clemson was REALLY, REALLY good on offense this year. Particularly when we played them. I also find it curious that all three games you mentioned were on the road. Miami still had Duke Johnson and BYU was just a bad matchup. These things happen to every program & coach. Not just ours. I thought the defense played MUCH better at home, even against u(sic)ga, until I thought we got tired and our lack of depth showed. I'd be much more likely to lend credibility to anything you're saying if you'd just say, "hey we got tired at times" or "building depth has to be priority #1 moving forward." I don't have issue with that. At all. But for you to look at BYU, Miami, and Clemson and see only "OMG OUR D DIDNT IMPROVE FIRE JOHNSON FIRE ROOF FIRE IN THE HOLE" shows me a glaring lack of football knowledge. Those were all road games against talented, senior-laden, deep teams with Big O-Lines and explosive skill players. If you can't understand that those factors will effect most, if not all, college football programs, then I don't know what else to tell you, other than you're just wrong. You are. The defense improved this year. Markedly. It bears out in numbers and in the eyeball test. Your refusal to admit that bears out an agenda that runs perpendicular to what is best for this program. I expect more improvement moving forward. Dave Wommack and Al Groh each got at least two seasons to install their defense. I expect Ted Roof's results will far surpass those two when given an equal amount of time.

With a first year starting QB, an injury-laden offensive line, and a defense that had players on it who were playing for (I believe) their 3rd coordinator, I am not furious over a 7-6 season. If this occurs next year, with a returning starter @ qb, improved depth @ WR and RB, as well as an additional year to install a defense, I may change my tune. Patience is a virtue. Depth was an issue when CPJ took over, and that's not an issue that's easily fixed. Particularly with the attrition he faced his first couple years in the program. Perspective is key.

What do you mean when say "BYU was just a bad match up"?--must be nice to be able to just right off a game with this type of logic
"Miami had Duke Johnson"--does this mean that if a team has 1 really good player then we can't beat them?

gtdrew

Banned
BYU was @ BYU, with a giant offensive line, and they executed perfectly. It was a bad matchup for Georgia Tech. Bad matchups happen all across sports. Sort of like how the Indiana Pacers are a bad matchup for the Miami Heat. Or how Stanford is a bad matchup for Oregon. I can write offa game with that logic, because its a truth that rings true all across sports.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Based on where this thread was and where this thread ended up, everyone had their say and no one is going to have any new information that will make this a better discussion so I'm locking this thread. Sorry for those that were in the midst of posting something in this thread.

(and I'm still cleaning up this thread...)

Status
Not open for further replies.