Paul Johnson: #9 Most Powerful Coach in CFB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 1 .500 and no losing conference record in 6 yrs, for a starter.

No acc team, let alone coach has done better, on this metric,

Awfully low standards my friend.

Has it ever occurred to you that the ACC has been pretty weak up until this year, and even this year the ACC wasn't too strong.

5 straight losses to UGA, one to a Joe Cox led team, and another to a noob at QB leading a team with massive injuries to front line players and a bunch of noobs on defense.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
There are many jobs that are more dangerous than a football, basketball, or baseball player. The Police, Firefighters, and Military are much more dangerous.

I am a little biased because I am a police officer. But I like and agree with this^. Imo, I feel that Professional Athletes do deserve to get a chunk of all the money taken in. For me its more the fact that everyone involved (owners, players, coaches) are overpaid and the ticket holders, customers at concessions, etc... are over charged.

I don't watch pro sports often because it is somewhat boring to me. I find the college game to be much more interesting. JMO

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Awfully low standards my friend.

Has it ever occurred to you that the ACC has been pretty weak up until this year, and even this year the ACC wasn't too strong.

5 straight losses to UGA, one to a Joe Cox led team, and another to a noob at QB leading a team with massive injuries to front line players and a bunch of noobs on defense.

What does the phrase, "as a starter," as I used it mean to you?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd say with the inherent risks of bodily harm, brain damage, etc.., that the players are underpaid and that the coaches'/owners' share is too large.
Pretty much any US Marine says hello.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am a little biased because I am a police officer. But I like and agree with this^. Imo, I feel that Professional Athletes do deserve to get a chunk of all the money taken in. For me its more the fact that everyone involved (owners, players, coaches) are overpaid and the ticket holders, customers at concessions, etc... are over charged.

I don't watch pro sports often because it is somewhat boring to me. I find the college game to be much more interesting. JMO
I don't watch much NFL either, for a host of reasons, but I will never criticize any person for getting paid whatever the market will bear for their services. I have no hard feeling towards them at all. They (pro sports franchises) have priced themselves out of my participation in terms of ticket buying, but heck, some are willing to pay. The stadiums are usually packed.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we cannot afford that level of HC then we should have called his bluff when Auburn did NOT call him.

in 6 years vs. D1-A competition, CPJ is 39-31, (.557)CPJ has played 9 lower level cupcakes in 6 years.

in 6 years vs. D1-A competition, CCG was 41-32, (.562)Chan played 3 lower level cupcakes in 6 years.

seems like both of these guys qualifies as half-decent, so why did we fire one, but when the current guy performs at a half-decent level, there's no hot seat and he seems to have plenty of job security.

Chan's last 4 years that got him fired 30-21

CPJ's last 4 years that have him very secure at GT 28-24

My point for posting all those stats is, do we even know what constitutes half-decent anymore?

It seems as is the GTAA has lower standards for our FB coach current-day than we had for our FB coach just 6 short years ago, are our standards going down for what we expect from GT FB?
:yawn:

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
You threw out a term half-decent and didn't define what that meant, so to be fair, I simply asked what half-decent is and showed that numerically, our current half-decent HC is the same as the guy we fired that wasn't thought of as half-decent.

Are you one of those GT fans that loved to talk W-L records after our HC's first two years, but when it is mentioned now, you act as if someone is personally attacking you?

No one has an agenda, if you are going to throw around terms like half-decent, then define what it is.

Really? Your criticising someone for calling CPJ half decent. That's kinda funny.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree that CPJ deserves some criticism for the past 3-4 years, but to pine for Chan "Gomer" Gailey is unfreaking believable to me, that doofus couldn't have beat ugag and won an ACC championship if he had spent the rest of his life trying here with his players or anyone else's players

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Gailey's HC history before & after us indicates a shelf life of 3 years at best. (Cowboys,Bills). He was fortunate to get more than that with us, but he had the NFL on his resume.
As to whether or not CPJ is an improvement, that's a whole other country. He's won with high level talent, but he hasn't been able to recruit that talent himself. Overall, I'd rather have Johnson than Gailey. Paul seems to have more of a fire in the belly.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
If we cannot afford that level of HC then we should have called his bluff when Auburn did NOT call him.

in 6 years vs. D1-A competition, CPJ is 39-31, (.557)CPJ has played 9 lower level cupcakes in 6 years.

in 6 years vs. D1-A competition, CCG was 41-32, (.562)Chan played 3 lower level cupcakes in 6 years.

seems like both of these guys qualifies as half-decent, so why did we fire one, but when the current guy performs at a half-decent level, there's no hot seat and he seems to have plenty of job security.

Chan's last 4 years that got him fired 30-21

CPJ's last 4 years that have him very secure at GT 28-24

My point for posting all those stats is, do we even know what constitutes half-decent anymore?

It seems as is the GTAA has lower standards for our FB coach current-day than we had for our FB coach just 6 short years ago, are our standards going down for what we expect from GT FB?

I'm throwing the WnE flag at this poster. This drivel was posted on the AJC comments section. This site will be ruined if is person is allowed to continue to participate. Mods please ban.

I'm throwing the WnE flag at this poster. This drivel was posted on the AJC comments section. This site will be ruined if is person is allowed to continue to participate. Mods please ban.

Mods please BAN!

Anyone from an Analytical background that GT creates in its grads that wants someone banned for posting accurate W-L info on any current or past GT coach should be banned because they aren't "man enough" to talk CFB (see Pat Dye).

I agree that CPJ deserves some criticism for the past 3-4 years, but to pine for Chan "Gomer" Gailey is unfreaking believable to me, that doofus couldn't have beat ugag and won an ACC championship if he had spent the rest of his life trying here with his players or anyone else's players

No one pined for Chan in any way, but you cannot fire Chan for one level of performance and then say "we love CPJ" for putting out that same level of performance.

Those kinds of inconsistent standards will lead to a losing culture and a poorly run organization (see GTAA).

If we fire Chan for his last 4 yr. run of 30-21, then we HAVE TO fire CPJ for his last 4 years of 28-24, no matter what it costs, once you set a standard, you don't lower your standards, not even for a huge buyout.

Allowing "money" to give a poorly performing HC any sense of job security, sends the wrong message to your fanbase.

Do you guys want to talk CFB on a mature level dealing with results and real facts or do you want to pacify each other and throw around accusations?

If Chan had ended his last yr. of that 30-21 four yr. run by losing a 20-0 lead at home vs. UGA's back up QB, vs. a very flawed UGA team, there would be a 100% consensus to fire Chan, and they would be right.

I don't pine for Chan, I do pine for a better FB program and a better HC.

I don't get attached to HCs, I am attached to GT FB.

Too many of you guys have an emotional attachment to CPJ and it is clouding your judgment about GT's FB Program.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Mods please BAN!

Anyone from an Analytical background that GT creates in its grads that wants someone banned for posting accurate W-L info on any current or past GT coach should be banned because they aren't "man enough" to talk CFB (see Pat Dye).
The problem with using the W/L record is that it's nothing new and it's used to answer every single argument. Everybody already knows our record, it's not some amazing revelation. It's extremely tiresome when it's thrown into our faces in every single thread. The contrarions use it as some kind of magical trump card that supposed to win all arguments. Bring something else to the table if you want folks to take you seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.