Paul Davis Penalty

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Thank you. I think at some point the mods need to address his attitude.

Thank you. I think at some point the mods need to address his attitude.

Generally, if people just ignore posters' attitudes that they find objectionable then there is no need for a "big brother" to take take of "the problem".

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I love the ignore feature. I see that on the first page here I have seven ignored comments. I get a kick sometimes out of paging through a thread and seeing the tally on ignored comments I get. :p

A thread reads so much better and faster when you put the donkeys on ignore.
Have you donked me?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I certainly did not expect my remark to generate such a response. I also like the ignore feature & have used it. My only concern is that, as Eric said in another thread, we have prospects that read this blog. I would hate for some of the CONSTANT negativity spewed from some of the posters to give these guys (and their families) pause.
As always, Go Jackets. Together We Swarm!

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
You're misunderstanding. It's not the act of taking a swing that makes the team weak psychologically. It's the collapse that occurs AFTER the penalty is enforced.
It's not the first time that a personal foul at a crucial time has caused the entire team to collapse and a meltdown to ensue. Remember Attaochu's foul on Logan Thomas?
Not sure if you noticed... unlike the VT game you keep referring to, we actually won yesterday. Surprised no one has yet to point that out. The only meltdown I saw yesterday were from specific fans that gave up on the team in the 4th quarter.

Also, I wouldn't call what happened yesterday after the penalty a meltdown. From my point of view, the team came out of the locker room at halftime thinking they already won the game and the players thought that they wouldn't need to play as hard and that they could cruise.

And lastly, has anyone actually found the clip of the penalty?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"Also, I wouldn't call what happened yesterday after the penalty a meltdown. From my point of view, the team came out of the locker room at halftime thinking they already won the game and the players thought that they wouldn't need to play as hard and that they could cruise."

John has it nailed folks. This happens hundreds of times a year at all levels of the game and has happened since the 2nd football game was played. There is an old proverb - if one can find an antodote for this "disease", put it in a bottle and become an instant billionaire.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I will admit that I was one of those that thought the game was over at halftime. Maybe that's why I tend to believe that complacency was the primary reason for Southern's comeback. It's not an excuse for the team to lay down as much as they did, but I can see how that attitude might have prevailed.

I'm waiting for @Boomergump's analysis of the game as well as others who know the X's and O's better than me. Maybe there were a few questionable play calls on offense by CPJ, albeit after a 35-pt half, but I haven't seen an explanation of halftime adjustments that were significant enough to lead to what we saw in the 2nd half.

One penalty also isn't an excuse for 28 unanswered in the span of 20 minutes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but I don't buy the 'ol "one play changed the game" bs. I coach my son's peewee football team and I tell the kids constantly, if you flub a play, the great thing is you always have the next play to redeem yourself. Every snap is a new life, a new day. PJ's teammates can't look at that play and blame the dozens of mistakes that happened afterward on him.

When an opponent punches you in the mouth, you either stay down or you get up and punch 'em back. We didn't start punching back till it was almost too late. Thank goodness we did when we did.

I'm sorry but I don't buy the 'ol "one play changed the game" bs. I coach my son's peewee football team and I tell the kids constantly, if you flub a play, the great thing is you always have the next play to redeem yourself. Every snap is a new life, a new day. PJ's teammates can't look at that play and blame the dozens of mistakes that happened afterward on him.

When an opponent punches you in the mouth, you either stay down or you get up and punch 'em back. We didn't start punching back till it was almost too late. Thank goodness we did when we did.
First of all, let me say that I am NOT a CPJ hater. I like him as a man and as our coach. But for me what changed the game yesterday was not the bizarre penalty against Davis, it was Tech's first offensive series in the second half. Why did we come out passing after cramming it down GSU's throat on the ground in the first half with just enough passes thrown in to confuse the Eagles? Coming out passing for no apparent reason with a 25 point lead reminds me way too much of the Utah Sun Bowl, the 2012 Miami game, and, most recently, the 2013 Georgia game. It APPEARS to me that Johnson doesn't know how to handle a big lead. Instead of continuing with what works, he starts playing games, and invariably that has backfired on him. We were fortunate to win yesterday, and I am happy with that win, but I really feel like if we had come out in attack mode at the top of the second half, none of what in fact followed would have. Johnson often blames these things on a failure to execute, but there's no way of saying that about the first offensive series of the second half, when what he did was call plays that he hadn't been calling in the first half and IMO didn't need to be calling when he did. He needs to get a killer instinct and just keep pounding and pounding with what obviously works. When it stops working, then and only then is there a need to try something different. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
First of all, let me say that I am NOT a CPJ hater. I like him as a man and as our coach. But for me what changed the game yesterday was not the bizarre penalty against Davis, it was Tech's first offensive series in the second half. Why did we come out passing after cramming it down GSU's throat on the ground in the first half with just enough passes thrown in to confuse the Eagles? Coming out passing for no apparent reason with a 25 point lead reminds me way too much of the Utah Sun Bowl, the 2012 Miami game, and, most recently, the 2013 Georgia game. It APPEARS to me that Johnson doesn't know how to handle a big lead. Instead of continuing with what works, he starts playing games, and invariably that has backfired on him. We were fortunate to win yesterday, and I am happy with that win, but I really feel like if we had come out in attack mode at the top of the second half, none of what in fact followed would have. Johnson often blames these things on a failure to execute, but there's no way of saying that about the first offensive series of the second half, when what he did was call plays that he hadn't been calling in the first half and IMO didn't need to be calling when he did. He needs to get a killer instinct and just keep pounding and pounding with what obviously works. When it stops working, then and only then is there a need to try something different. That's just my 2 cents worth.

I am mostly with you. I have no problem at all with a tough running offense. Period. Therefore, I love how the passing game is built on the back of running the ball. So I hate possessions that don't seem to my eyes to do that very thing. As for the first possession of the 2nd half, however, I am less harsh than you because of two considerations: 1) CPJ at halftime would have kind of planned the first possession based on what he expected GSU to try and do to compensate for the fact Tech's running game had been so effective and also based on tendencies he thought he could exploit. 2) He must have seen GSU's alignments and reactions as most likely to allow for an "explosion play" or 1-2-3 play TD scoring drive in the passing game. That is, I think he really wanted to have a deflating and fast scoring drive right away and so went to higher risk higher reward plays. He also knew that Smelter and Waller had such an advantage size and strength wise on the coverage.

Now, one specific pass play did frustrate me at the game. I still haven't re-watched so check my recall), by the way. The pass was after the wheel route to Laskey to convert for a first down maybe on the 2nd or 3rd to last Tech possession. At that point GSU is right there ready to take the lead. Laskey makes a great play on a well thrown ball to move the chains and we immediately go back to the pass on first down. It is incomplete and the rest of the downs failed and the drive stalled and it was another punt. GSU takes the lead after that. I think watching CPJ's running offense has worked on me to such an extent that I recoil at some of the pass play calls now. That was one of them on first down when we have just moved the chains and are gaining momentum. I wanted to run it up the gut then and get those tough 3-5 yards. Someone else complained somewhere on this site about pass plays on first down and I tend to agree. I wouldn't even mind seeing a pass play on 3rd and 1 or 2 when everyone in the world knows we will just run up the middle with the QB or BBack because the first down is so assured that way. I say throw the ball on 3rd and 1 sometimes when we are in 4 down territory.

But I do not put all that much stock or love into my opinions here, its just armchair coaching. At the game my brother pointed out when I complained about the above pass on first down that it wasn't like we had been running the ball nearly as effectively in the second half either. He probably has a good point.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
PD like the big A did after VT will learn a big lesson and be a better player. PD has limits on ability that are made up fore by playing on the front edge of the play unfolding - wish we could bottle it and inject other players.

The passing on first series like the PD penalty are head scratchers, but not the problem (IMO).

When the defense is playing NOT BAD , our play caller in chief a.k.a. Head coach can devote all time to what he loves. We are set up such that the head coach is busy, when the Defense that is playing TERRIBLE is on the bench. (side point = It assumes that the head coaches input I'd NOT needed when the offense is on the field. No availability for questions by DC or exchange of up coming strategy. The idea he can give overall input to DC when the terrible playing defense is now back on field is not practical . Our set up assumes communication is not that important and can be until next game. We are on third DC and I think we have a good one now - help is on the way with the 2015 recruiting class that he has had a major impact in attracting. ). IMO in this game coach goofed up on first series and then the continuing terrible defense was a distraction in the play calling that resulted in short drives to send the defense back out. Must feel like in a whirlwind .
But d made a stop, coached grabbed the opportunity, players played and GT won!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
PD like the big A did after VT will learn a big lesson and be a better player. PD has limits on ability that are made up fore by playing on the front edge of the play unfolding - wish we could bottle it and inject other players.

The passing on first series like the PD penalty are head scratchers, but not the problem (IMO).

When the defense is playing NOT BAD , our play caller in chief a.k.a. Head coach can devote all time to what he loves. We are set up such that the head coach is busy, when the Defense that is playing TERRIBLE is on the bench. (side point = It assumes that the head coaches input I'd NOT needed when the offense is on the field. No availability for questions by DC or exchange of up coming strategy. The idea he can give overall input to DC when the terrible playing defense is now back on field is not practical . Our set up assumes communication is not that important and can be until next game. We are on third DC and I think we have a good one now - help is on the way with the 2015 recruiting class that he has had a major impact in attracting. ). IMO in this game coach goofed up on first series and then the continuing terrible defense was a distraction in the play calling that resulted in short drives to send the defense back out. Must feel like in a whirlwind .
But d made a stop, coached grabbed the opportunity, players played and GT won!
Even if the play calling wasn't great, that doesn't excuse the players from not executing the plays that were called. As Boomer says, we were not focused. We were just missing on just about everything by just a little bit - blocking angles especially.

I am mostly with you. I have no problem at all with a tough running offense. Period. Therefore, I love how the passing game is built on the back of running the ball. So I hate possessions that don't seem to my eyes to do that very thing. As for the first possession of the 2nd half, however, I am less harsh than you because of two considerations: 1) CPJ at halftime would have kind of planned the first possession based on what he expected GSU to try and do to compensate for the fact Tech's running game had been so effective and also based on tendencies he thought he could exploit. 2) He must have seen GSU's alignments and reactions as most likely to allow for an "explosion play" or 1-2-3 play TD scoring drive in the passing game. That is, I think he really wanted to have a deflating and fast scoring drive right away and so went to higher risk higher reward plays. He also knew that Smelter and Waller had such an advantage size and strength wise on the coverage.

Now, one specific pass play did frustrate me at the game. I still haven't re-watched so check my recall), by the way. The pass was after the wheel route to Laskey to convert for a first down maybe on the 2nd or 3rd to last Tech possession. At that point GSU is right there ready to take the lead. Laskey makes a great play on a well thrown ball to move the chains and we immediately go back to the pass on first down. It is incomplete and the rest of the downs failed and the drive stalled and it was another punt. GSU takes the lead after that. I think watching CPJ's running offense has worked on me to such an extent that I recoil at some of the pass play calls now. That was one of them on first down when we have just moved the chains and are gaining momentum. I wanted to run it up the gut then and get those tough 3-5 yards. Someone else complained somewhere on this site about pass plays on first down and I tend to agree. I wouldn't even mind seeing a pass play on 3rd and 1 or 2 when everyone in the world knows we will just run up the middle with the QB or BBack because the first down is so assured that way. I say throw the ball on 3rd and 1 sometimes when we are in 4 down territory.

But I do not put all that much stock or love into my opinions here, its just armchair coaching. At the game my brother pointed out when I complained about the above pass on first down that it wasn't like we had been running the ball nearly as effectively in the second half either. He probably has a good point.

We are probably more in agreement across the board than not. I don't remember now what the actual first pass play in that first series was, but I don't think it was what we would consider a high-percentage one. Throw that flair pass to the A-back that was the first play from scrimmage in the Wofford game. Unlike Tevin who seemed never to be able to complete that one, JT can, and it would have probably made yards.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The passing on the first series after halftime did not bother me one bit. Not at all. I think it was pretty apparent that GSU came out in the 2nd half determined to stop the run (did we rush for much yardage in the 2nd half? Nope) and that CPJ took one look and knew the passes would be open. Justin made a poor throw to a wide open Smelter on 1st down, and according to CPJ on the 3rd down play (after a run went nowhere) we had the FB WIDE open, and JT threw it to the wrong guy.

It is all about execution, and I for one prefer that we continue working on the passing game so we can be seen as a team that can do both. Do you really think VPI&SU will have trouble shutting down our run game if they feel we cannot pass it effectively?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
How do people say if we lost the game it is bad coaching - but then ignore we won the stinking thing.

Was it pretty? No.
Was it how we all hoped in the best outcome? No.

That's said we track wins and we track loses boys. We are 3-0.

Get your minds right. We saw adversity in three different ways and at different times in games and required different units to step up. When the call came it was answered in all three games.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I am going to have to defend Johnson here. I have no problem with the play calling decision to come out with something different, especially when you have a big lead. The time to change things up is not when you're down, because that's when the enemy is at his most confident and at his strongest. You are setting yourself up for failure. The time to change things up is when you are ahead. If it doesn't work out, you have some room to recover. But if it does, and in most cases it should, then you can really drive the dagger home.

I am going to have to defend Johnson here. I have no problem with the play calling decision to come out with something different, especially when you have a big lead. The time to change things up is not when you're down, because that's when the enemy is at his most confident and at his strongest. You are setting yourself up for failure. The time to change things up is when you are ahead. If it doesn't work out, you have some room to recover. But if it does, and in most cases it should, then you can really drive the dagger home.
But look at the number of times he has done just that and lost (Utah, Miami, Georgia), or had to struggle to recover and win (yesterday). I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.