Paul Davis Penalty

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Attaochu is NOT fragile psychologically, weak-willed, moody or neurotic and neither is Paul Davis. I am beginning to wonder about you. Attaochu and Paul Davis are both fine young men. Good grief have you never made a mistake in the heat of battle. It's absurd to make an argument that CPJ turns his players into flakes. Usually Atomic I bow to your 'superior intellect' but I can't let this go unchallenged. :mad:
Agreed. We need to challenge comments like Atomic's. I'm not sure too many on this board have played organized sports before.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Attaochu is NOT fragile psychologically, weak-willed, moody or neurotic and neither is Paul Davis. I am beginning to wonder about you. Attaochu and Paul Davis are both fine young men. Good grief have you never made a mistake in the heat of battle. It's absurd to make an argument that CPJ turns his players into flakes. Usually Atomic I bow to your 'superior intellect' but I can't let this go unchallenged. :mad:
took you long enough.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thank you. I think at some point the mods need to address his attitude.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not the first time that a personal foul at a crucial time has caused the entire team to collapse and a meltdown to ensue. Remember Attaochu's foul on Logan Thomas? We had that game won, but the foul caused Tech to just give up and allow VT to come back and win. There is something that has always been extremely fragile psychologically about Johnson's teams. They have always been flaky, weak-willed, moody and neurotic. O'Leary's teams by comparison were unflappable, cold-blooded, businesslike, and mentally as sound as the gut-rock of Stone Mountain. That's coaching, my friends. That's what coaches get paid for.

I have to say...when the ship was sinking in the 3rd, and neither the O or D could get out of gear I said to my buddy next to me that if we lose the game, it is because of coaching. Just like the Miami collapse...at some point the team loses focus and can't seem to regain it. That's the coaches job, to get the young men back on track. I am not sure our coaching staff knows how to do that.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I love the ignore feature. I see that on the first page here I have seven ignored comments. I get a kick sometimes out of paging through a thread and seeing the tally on ignored comments I get. :p

A thread reads so much better and faster when you put the donkeys on ignore.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not the first time that a personal foul at a crucial time has caused the entire team to collapse and a meltdown to ensue. Remember Attaochu's foul on Logan Thomas? We had that game won, but the foul caused Tech to just give up and allow VT to come back and win. There is something that has always been extremely fragile psychologically about Johnson's teams. They have always been flaky, weak-willed, moody and neurotic. O'Leary's teams by comparison were unflappable, cold-blooded, businesslike, and mentally as sound as the gut-rock of Stone Mountain. That's coaching, my friends. That's what coaches get paid for.
AJ, your statement is why I try not to post after a frustrating afternoon. I will try to give it 24 hours before telling all my friends that O'Leary went undefeated while he was here and that PJ has not won a game because his teams are fragile. Take a deep breath , move away from the ledge and drink some aged whiskey. Just like O'Leary, it gets better with time. I will now start my investigation of the flaky, weak-willed, moody and neurotic all acc team!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

The mods have decided not to police trolling of his kind. They want everyone to be able to express opinions without having to defend their opinion if pressed. Those who challenge the trolls can then be labelled antagonistic rather than antagonized.

Just use Ignore.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Listen GT Fam. There are clearly some growing pains that were going to experience next year but what's really sad is sometimes we as fans lose track of reality because we are in the stands. I have read a few comments about lack of discipline but no one was able to point out what happened. If you pay close attention to the game, GS was actually attempting to bully our guys. Did anyone see when the player hit Chris Milton in the face, did anyone see on two - three different occasions PJ was pushed or was confronted by our opponent and the ref did not throw a flag. The guy actually confronted PJ first and PJ attempted to push the guy away from him. If there is something different that occurred show me the clip and I will eat my words. FAM, yeah sometimes players make bone headed plays but it does not mean they are bad players. We as fans darn near tear down the stadium if the ref makes a call or we will yell obscenities and boo's at our team if they do not perform to our standards. Come on Fam, I am all for stating the facts but let's do just that.

Here some things that I think we missed. DJ White was pushed The ref told him that he grab the receivers jersey. Then stated to the media it was a push. The preview clearly shows that DJ was pushed and the Ref was right there. We came down on PJ Davis. He is a warrior but his weakness is his ability to cover a pass play.

Coaching. I am not big on putting down any coach but I do try to point out facts. The last two games is the most I have seen PJ in someone's grill. Even his DB coach Speed. I like speed as a person but I think his knowledge of the game can be best used as a LB. There are plays where these guys are out of plays and the technique they are being taught is going to get them burnt. Not my words this comes from 3. I repeat 3 NFL corners which 2 are still in the league and 1 is in Arena. What I like about DJ is the fact that he listens to the coach he is not afraid to adjust on the fly. He uses the technique that has been taught to him by professional coaches. The difference showed towards the latter end of the season. DJ totally changed his technique. Here is an example of a bad coaching call. I verified this because after the game I greeted Lynn ' s dad and then a couple former players. I shook DJ's hand and made my way to Griffin. I asked him dude what happened. He said I will fix it. I can tell he was a little frustrated so I pulled him aside. One thing about him us that he will not put down coaches or teammates. I asked him how did he get out of position and why did he not cover the post. He said they ran two receivers in which one usually runs a out and the other runs a post. I was instructed not to worry about the post but to cover the out. He did just that but out of his peripheral he stated he saw the post and tried to adjust to cover the post. There was no safety help because they were in a cover 3. I then just encouraged him. Another question. Why have you corners baling out when you have 3rd and 5. It does not makes since. You're giving up the short pass. Our corners are good enough to man up.

With the LB I think Bo needs to rotate with PJ. Have you guys noticed how he has developed and how aggressive he has gotten on special teams. Bo is a strong LB but he needs reps.

Guys I don't think it totally on the kids. I think the entire team needs a closed door meeting. Not a meeting where they are told how horrible they are and not one where the players are in control but one where they all can get on the same page. There was a special on TV about Miami. The game the featured was against us. After the game they interviewed Miami's defensive coordinator and he stated that in the first half they could not adjust to what we were doing and eventually the players were arguing among themselves. He stated that in the second half, he was shocked because we started running the offense that they had practiced for therefore making it easy for them to make plays.

It is kind of frustrating to hear how poor of recruiting we've done and how we do not get the top kids. Fam sometimes it's about development of what you do have. We have alot of talent on this team. I just think the development is not where it needs to be and it's not all on the players. If they can get a win over VT this team may turn the corner to be a very good team.

Thanks for reading fam!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I agree with Atomic on a lot of stuff except most of his pathological dislike for CPJ. I think this team has shown tremendous resilience to adversity; unlike the 2010 and 2011 CPJs teams. We're undefeated and should get better as our D matures. And with that maturation will only come more resilience.

I guess Beamer and Bud Foster coach weak and fragile teams after their loss to ECU!

I hope Atomic and people like him don't get banned because it's part of the discussion. I have heard the same anti-CPJ sentiment from fans in the stands. If we get rid of opposing views about the coach, all we need is The Hive and don't need this site. I agree that the ignore feature is useful if you don't like someone and find them irritating regardless of what they say; I used in on WnE on another site and a few others.

Atomic Jacket

Banned

You're misunderstanding. It's not the act of taking a swing that makes the team weak psychologically. It's the collapse that occurs AFTER the penalty is enforced.

Just because Attaochu takes a swing at Thomas doesn't mean the entire team has to give up and let Virginia Tech score and then win the game.

Just because Davis takes a swing at some player and gets an unsportsmanlike penalty doesn't mean that the rest of the team then has to throw up its collective hands in doom and then allow Southern to score 4 unanswered touchdowns.

Don't try to twist my words into an attack on Attaochu or Davis. This is a criticism of the lack of preparedness of the REST of the team in how to deal with a setback. It's more about the others on the team, not the person who actually committed the penalty.

Please, please, please. If you choose to respond to my messages, all I ask is that you read carefully, so that you understand what I'm saying and respond to what I'm saying, not to a distortion of what I'm saying. Thanks.

Declinometer

Banned
I have to say...when the ship was sinking in the 3rd, and neither the O or D could get out of gear I said to my buddy next to me that if we lose the game, it is because of coaching. Just like the Miami collapse...at some point the team loses focus and can't seem to regain it. That's the coaches job, to get the young men back on track. I am not sure our coaching staff knows how to do that.
I thought we had that preacher that so many of you think so highly of? I still believe he's more of a distraction.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Listen GT Fam. There are clearly some growing pains that were going to experience next year but what's really sad is sometimes we as fans lose track of reality because we are in the stands. I have read a few comments about lack of discipline but no one was able to point out what happened. If you pay close attention to the game, GS was actually attempting to bully our guys. Did anyone see when the player hit Chris Milton in the face, did anyone see on two - three different occasions PJ was pushed or was confronted by our opponent and the ref did not throw a flag. The guy actually confronted PJ first and PJ attempted to push the guy away from him. If there is something different that occurred show me the clip and I will eat my words. FAM, yeah sometimes players make bone headed plays but it does not mean they are bad players. We as fans darn near tear down the stadium if the ref makes a call or we will yell obscenities and boo's at our team if they do not perform to our standards. Come on Fam, I am all for stating the facts but let's do just that.

Here some things that I think we missed. DJ White was pushed The ref told him that he grab the receivers jersey. Then stated to the media it was a push. The preview clearly shows that DJ was pushed and the Ref was right there. We came down on PJ Davis. He is a warrior but his weakness is his ability to cover a pass play.

Coaching. I am not big on putting down any coach but I do try to point out facts. The last two games is the most I have seen PJ in someone's grill. Even his DB coach Speed. I like speed as a person but I think his knowledge of the game can be best used as a LB. There are plays where these guys are out of plays and the technique they are being taught is going to get them burnt. Not my words this comes from 3. I repeat 3 NFL corners which 2 are still in the league and 1 is in Arena. What I like about DJ is the fact that he listens to the coach he is not afraid to adjust on the fly. He uses the technique that has been taught to him by professional coaches. The difference showed towards the latter end of the season. DJ totally changed his technique. Here is an example of a bad coaching call. I verified this because after the game I greeted Lynn ' s dad and then a couple former players. I shook DJ's hand and made my way to Griffin. I asked him dude what happened. He said I will fix it. I can tell he was a little frustrated so I pulled him aside. One thing about him us that he will not put down coaches or teammates. I asked him how did he get out of position and why did he not cover the post. He said they ran two receivers in which one usually runs a out and the other runs a post. I was instructed not to worry about the post but to cover the out. He did just that but out of his peripheral he stated he saw the post and tried to adjust to cover the post. There was no safety help because they were in a cover 3. I then just encouraged him. Another question. Why have you corners baling out when you have 3rd and 5. It does not makes since. You're giving up the short pass. Our corners are good enough to man up.

With the LB I think Bo needs to rotate with PJ. Have you guys noticed how he has developed and how aggressive he has gotten on special teams. Bo is a strong LB but he needs reps.

Guys I don't think it totally on the kids. I think the entire team needs a closed door meeting. Not a meeting where they are told how horrible they are and not one where the players are in control but one where they all can get on the same page. There was a special on TV about Miami. The game the featured was against us. After the game they interviewed Miami's defensive coordinator and he stated that in the first half they could not adjust to what we were doing and eventually the players were arguing among themselves. He stated that in the second half, he was shocked because we started running the offense that they had practiced for therefore making it easy for them to make plays.

It is kind of frustrating to hear how poor of recruiting we've done and how we do not get the top kids. Fam sometimes it's about development of what you do have. We have alot of talent on this team. I just think the development is not where it needs to be and it's not all on the players. If they can get a win over VT this team may turn the corner to be a very good team.

Thanks for reading fam!

Thanks LL. I don't know enough to know if you're right or wrong about the DB technique coaching. I appreciate how central it is for you since you make it in almost all your posts.

I do know that a team or a unit which begins to think it knows better than its coach is rarely successful.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
If you believe in the one play does this and that then the penalty was certainly bad but if the guy who was wide open had caught the pass in the fourth quarter and the pitch would have been ruled a incomplete pass........well nobody would remember the penalty.Shoot this is big time football and folks will get out of hand at times.See it all the time in HS it is a passion filled game with folks who want to hit somebody.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yep somebody has to be the leader and somebody needs to follow........I still wonder though why the eight to ten yd cushioin we play on defense.Yesterday saw no safety help on the sideline routes and it burned us..

Animal02

Banned
I agree with Atomic on a lot of stuff except most of his pathological dislike for CPJ. I think this team has shown tremendous resilience to adversity; unlike the 2010 and 2011 CPJs teams. We're undefeated and should get better as our D matures. And with that maturation will only come more resilience.

I guess Beamer and Bud Foster coach weak and fragile teams after their loss to ECU!

I hope Atomic and people like him don't get banned because it's part of the discussion. I have heard the same anti-CPJ sentiment from fans in the stands. If we get rid of opposing views about the coach, all we need is The Hive and don't need this site. I agree that the ignore feature is useful if you don't like someone and find them irritating regardless of what they say; I used in on WnE on another site and a few others.

I agree....I even got a FB question to join a "Fire CPJ" site yesterday......WTF.....we are 3-0, they have not been pretty, but we are still 3-0