Paul Davis Penalty

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Here's what another writer had to say about the penalty.

"An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Georgia Tech's Paul Davis, on a play he wasn't even involved in, got Georgia Southern out of a deep hole on its opening possession and sparked the comeback. Ellison scored on a 32-yard run to cut the deficit to 35-17."

I watched the game, never say any type of replay and still don't know/understand what happened!

Atomic Jacket

Banned
It's not the first time that a personal foul at a crucial time has caused the entire team to collapse and a meltdown to ensue. Remember Attaochu's foul on Logan Thomas? We had that game won, but the foul caused Tech to just give up and allow VT to come back and win. There is something that has always been extremely fragile psychologically about Johnson's teams. They have always been flaky, weak-willed, moody and neurotic. O'Leary's teams by comparison were unflappable, cold-blooded, businesslike, and mentally as sound as the gut-rock of Stone Mountain. That's coaching, my friends. That's what coaches get paid for.

Ugasux

Georgia Tech Fan
I would like to know what the call was for too if anyone knows. I agree about the fragile sike of the team the last few years, but the 08 and 09 teams were rock solid.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The mental toughness required is built into the foundation from day one.

Our foundation was built on "I am an O genius and that is all that is needed."

Deliver.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Never saw it during the game. No replay was shown of it either. I'm sure it will come out in the film study. Hopefully, we will hear about it in detail after that.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not the first time that a personal foul at a crucial time has caused the entire team to collapse and a meltdown to ensue. Remember Attaochu's foul on Logan Thomas? We had that game won, but the foul caused Tech to just give up and allow VT to come back and win. There is something that has always been extremely fragile psychologically about Johnson's teams. They have always been flaky, weak-willed, moody and neurotic. O'Leary's teams by comparison were unflappable, cold-blooded, businesslike, and mentally as sound as the gut-rock of Stone Mountain. That's coaching, my friends. That's what coaches get paid for.

That isn't the only problem with Johnson's teams. He's been here going on 7 years and hasn't fielded a defense yet. The best we've seen is with Chan's guys, 4 NFL defensive lineman, and even then Johnson was less than spectacular.

3 different coordinators, all of his own recruits, and we still have to put up 40 points to beat lesser teams.

HE is the problem with our defense.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game, never saw the play, never heard what it was at the time, and still haven't as of yet. I got a great look at the fumble recovery at the end of the game and all I can say is that if they didn't reverse the incomplete pass and call it a fumble, it should have been called offensive pass interference because that was the only reason it wasn't intercepted.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
That isn't the only problem with Johnson's teams. He's been here going on 7 years and hasn't fielded a defense yet. The best we've seen is with Chan's guys, 4 NFL defensive lineman, and even then Johnson was less than spectacular.

3 different coordinators, all of his own recruits, and we still have to put up 40 points to beat lesser teams.

He is a problem in a lot of areas, including defense.

A lot of fans seem to judge him as an offensive coordinator, and not as head coach. His approach works at lower levels, but it is pretty clear that it won't work at this level.

Recruiting is the main problem, and he showed early on that he didn't appreciate the difficulty and importance of recruiting against SEC teams. He brought his assistants from Navy, rather than hiring coaches who were familiar with recruiting Georgia and the SE. His two best recruiters originally were Giff and BJ, who were holdovers from Gailey. Giff would have gone to the NFL no matter what, but he could have kept BJ from going to Louisville, but he didn't seem to care.

So we have Sewak, Speed and Owens who are not good recruiters, and Peterson, who is fair, and all came from Navy. The best recruiters are McCollum, hired by Johnson, Roof, who I am not convinced was hired by Johnson and Pelton, hired by Roof.

His emphasis in hiring assistants is not recruiting ability. Compare this with Jimbo Fisher at FSU, who states that recruiting ability is at the top of the list for assistants.

Johnson seems to be singularly focused on his unique offense. Recruiting, defense, special teams all seem to be an afterthought.

Not an approach that leads to success in an improving ACC.

Declinometer

Banned

Historically CPJ teams are disciplined but now I see to many looking for the fanfare.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow

Johnson seems to be singularly focused on his unique offense. Recruiting, defense, special teams all seem to be an afterthought.

I don't understand statements like that.

He won an ACC Championship, and then sacked his DC because he wasn't happy with the defense. When he decided that the Groh-fence wasn't going to work, he sacked Groh midseason rather than wait. He hired a dedicated special teams coach after initially resisting the idea. Then when that coach left, he hired another special teams coach. He initially said he would recruit heavily in the state of Georgia. When he found that didn't work like he thought it would, he shifted focus to out-of-state. He's hired additional staff to help with recruiting and supposedly would have done it sooner, but didn't have the permission of the AD to do so. It's early still, but Rivals has GT as having the 18th best recruiting class. Presumably that doesn't happen with a coach for whom recruiting is an afterthought. I don't know to what extent he is involved in facilities improvements, but since he's been here the locker rooms have been re-done, the weight room re-done at least twice, and an indoor practice facility constructed.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Attaochu is NOT fragile psychologically, weak-willed, moody or neurotic and neither is Paul Davis. I am beginning to wonder about you. Attaochu and Paul Davis are both fine young men. Good grief have you never made a mistake in the heat of battle. It's absurd to make an argument that CPJ turns his players into flakes. Usually Atomic I bow to your 'superior intellect' but I can't let this go unchallenged. :mad:

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
If PD did take a swing - sure that they'll see it on film even if the TV coverage doesn't see it - then I hope runs enough to not only puke, but to remember to keep his head in the future.
ESPN3 just put the replay online so I may try to see if I can catch it.