RushingReceivingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
2020Georgia TechACCFRRB7894605.242430312.631137636.87
2021Georgia TechACCFRRB121437465.243546513.3217812116.86
*2022AlabamaSECSRRB121519266.174444410.1319513707.010
CareerOverall38321325.615103121211.8848633446.923
Georgia Tech23212065.285976813.0529119746.813
Alabama1519266.174444410.1319513707.010

Okay...assuming this chart is accurate, Gibbs got eight more carries and 180 more running yards at Bama than he got the year before at Tech. Total yds about the same.

Does anyone seriously think he couldn't have gotten those same yards at Tech in 2023? Or more...once TFG was gone?

So, he stays at Tech, achieves the comparable stats and probably gets drafted about the same. That's uncertain, but no, he doesn't have a ring after his year at Bama, does he?

BUT he would have been elevated to near mythic status in the annals of Tech lore (in the ring of honor just below Calvin Johnson). He coulda been a god, but now he's *just* another sub-1,000 yard back at Bama.
I believe he is much better prepared for the NFL after a year at Alabama than he would have been had he stayed at GT. Football is Gibbs career. Alabama is better at training for that career than GT. He made a smart and logical choice even though it sucked for GT.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
That wasn’t the purpose of the post. It was to show how much great talent is sitting between 15-35 miles of Midtown Atlanta. You totally missed the point. Most of us recognize Gibbs.
Tbh, I think he understood the point and made a tangentially-related point that you missed

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I believe he is much better prepared for the NFL after a year at Alabama than he would have been had he stayed at GT. Football is Gibbs career. Alabama is better at training for that career than GT. He made a smart and logical choice even though it sucked for GT.
Bull....sh!t

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
So, he stays at Tech, achieves the comparable stats and probably gets drafted about the same. That's uncertain, but no, he doesn't have a ring after his year at Bama, does he?

BUT he would have been elevated to near mythic status in the annals of Tech lore (in the ring of honor just below Calvin Johnson). He coulda been a god, but now he's *just* another sub-1,000 yard back at Bama.
I just don't think anyone would be a legend from these GT teams. They weren't competitive enough in enough big games.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

So here is my prediction:
Faulkner completely transforms Tech's offense next year setting records all over the place. He continues this success into the next year, which gets him hired out to be a HC at another school.

Tech is able to bring Choice in as the new OC. He is able to immediately recruit multiple 5* players to come to Tech on both offense and defense. After a few years of continued success Choice gets named as the coach in waiting to follow after Key retires. Key and Choice end up going down in history as the top 2 HC in college football history.

I may have gone overboard with the last line but the rest is at least in the narrow realm of possibility

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
LoL. GT really has been great at getting guys ready for the NFL. Funniest response in months.
I think you overestimate what schools do for these guys. As Paul said, if you can play, they will find you. I don’t think we made Derrick Morgan or Daryl Smith into what they were, they would have been decade NFL starters if they went to another school too.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
So here is my prediction:
Faulkner completely transforms Tech's offense next year setting records all over the place. He continues this success into the next year, which gets him hired out to be a HC at another school.

Tech is able to bring Choice in as the new OC. He is able to immediately recruit multiple 5* players to come to Tech on both offense and defense. After a few years of continued success Choice gets named as the coach in waiting to follow after Key retires. Key and Choice end up going down in history as the top 2 HC in college football history.

I may have gone overboard with the last line but the rest is at least in the narrow realm of possibility
Slow down playa

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
For anyone in the “why do we care about Gibbs” department: A Georgia Tech helmet sat right above his right shoulder while he was being drafted. Gibbs never stopped repping GT, never has spoken poorly of us, and will always be supportive of our program. Georgia Tech doomed him to near-irrelevancy. Bama elevated him to a draft pick worth well over 5m annually. Frankly that’s a Georgia Tech-intelligence level business decision.
This
gibbs.jpg