Path to the ACCCG

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Just for fun, wanted to see what needed to be done. Here’s what I’d say is the most likely if it were to happen.

GT: Win out
Miami: beat Duke and Pitt
Pitt: lose to GT and Miami, or BC
UVA: lose to GT and either Louisville, or VT
Duke: lose WF, and Miami
VT: lose to GT and WF
UNC: lose to Duke and Pitt

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
At this point it could be simpler. I think if GT wins out, Duke loses two more conference games, and UNC loses two more conference games, GT would win any tie-breakers with the other teams regardless of how they do. GT would be 5-3 and would have a 1.00 record against any other 5-3 Coastal teams and so win the first tie-breaker.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
At this point it could be simpler. I think if GT wins out, Duke loses two more conference games, and UNC loses two more conference games, GT would win any tie-breakers with the other teams regardless of how they do. GT would be 5-3 and would have a 1.00 record against any other 5-3 Coastal teams and so win the first tie-breaker.
Duke, and UNC both need to lose two so there is no tie breaker with them. Pitt and UVA both need to lose two as well so we can have a tie breaker against them.

Deleted member 2897

Its not like this has a reasonable chance of happening...but it once again shows me if we can move the needle of the program just a little bit, going 6-2 is not that hard when you look at how even everybody is. I look forward to maybe in 2021 and beyond regularly being in the drivers seat!

On another kool aid topic, every week we need to focus. We can still win a lot of games. And I mean, each game we keep finding a way to win keeps us in the running for bowl eligibility. :D

We beat Miami which is great. We made a lot of plays, which is great. To me I saw a lot of improvement, which is great. But our offense still only scored 7 points in regulation. Our offense is averaging 16 points in regulation this year against P5 teams. It is really hard to win a game like that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just for fun, wanted to see what needed to be done. Here’s what I’d say is the most likely if it were to happen.

GT: Win out
Miami: beat Duke and Pitt
Pitt: lose to GT and Miami, or BC
UVA: lose to GT and either Louisville, or VT
Duke: lose WF, and Miami
VT: lose to GT and WF
UNC: lose to Duke and Pitt

The nice thing is that when the above happens, if we play Clemson again, our offense looks completely different than it did in game 1 while they are still doing what they did then. Should work to our advantage! Of course, even if we beat Uga and Clemson back to back, we won't be in the playoffs this year.;)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ah, but you forget about the wondrous three-way ties that the Coastal is famous for....

I didn't forget those. However as @tech_wreck47 pointed out to me, Pitt and Virginia need to lose two games (against GT and one more) to even get to a three way tie. If UNC and Duke lose four, they are out of a three way tie. If GT beats all of the other teams, the first tie-breaker is record against all the tied teams. If GT is 100% against them, GT wins.

At this point I would say that there is a decent chance that Duke and UNC will lose two more. There is a decent chance that Pitt and UVA could both lose a game other than GT. I think the toughest part of this scenario is GT winning out. If GT does win out, it is probably a 50/50 chance of making the ACCCG.