Pat Hill to GT?

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Pat Hill was an outstanding recruiter on the west coast for Fresno. If you have ever been there you would be amazed his teams were that good. He actually opens up a great area in CA for us. If you are old does not mean you cannot recruit well. He is only 62. CAM is over 50 and regardless of what some say is by far out best recruiter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm with Eric on this one. This is an opportunity to bring new blood into the staff and an injection into our recruiting prowess. Recruiting has become a young mans game in this era. The HC is more of a "closer" now, but the assistants are the ones that do the major lifting on a day to day basis...they're the ones out there building relationships with the kids. This is the era of social media and soundbites...coaches have to be able to relate to kids.

Not to sound like I have anything against older coaches, but I think Hill is in the twilight of his coaching years. I don't think he has the fire GT needs right now to scour larger areas to mine for kids that fit GT's profile. I don't doubt his coaching credentials, but we need more than just a position coach. We need a coach and a recruiter. Obviously there are older coaches that can still recruit like Coach McCollum.

If I'm CPJ, I poll guys from recruiting service analysts and high school coaches on OL coaches on the mid major level who are recruiting "above their weight" and developing great OLs from diamond in the rough type recruits. Give them a high major name like GT to amplify their recruiting. That's the type of coaches I would be after right now.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Pat Hill was an outstanding recruiter on the west coast for Fresno. If you have ever been there you would be amazed his teams were that good. He actually opens up a great area in CA for us. If you are old does not mean you cannot recruit well. He is only 62. CAM is over 50 and regardless of what some say is by far out best recruiter.

Hill hasnt been a recruiter in awhile and his ties on the west coast aren't going to help us that much...West coast kids are very unlikely to come here.

No ole age doesn't mean he can't recruit..I just want a younger guy with a lot of energy who has SE ties.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Much ageist sentiment in this thread. Y'all seem to want a toy boy coach.

Once again, I have nothing against age. We just want a young firey guy on the staff who can recruit his *** off ala Gift Smith a few years back. Doesn't make him a "toy boy"...I just think young energy would do this staff good.

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
Once again, I have nothing against age. We just want a young firey guy on the staff who can recruit his *** off ala Gift Smith a few years back. Doesn't make him a "toy boy"...I just think young energy would do this staff good.

Lethargy with age is a valid concern, but you can also be energetic at 63. Has Pat Hill been energetic lately? I think that should be the question if energeticness is desired. Maybe you are more up on Hill than me and know he is not that energetic.

Hill has a pretty outstanding resume for a position coach. He was probably a victim of his own success at Fresno State. He is surely a serious candidate if interested.

TechPhi97

Jolly Good Fellow

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, can go to Fresno State for football. No restrictions at all on the academic side. Can a guy convert that into success at selling Tech to recruits? Part of me thinks that 'crootin is 'crootin, but part of me says it's a different pitch to get a kid here.

I'm all for bringing in the best coach, though. Good coaches can take good kids and make them great, and no matter what it's hard for us to pull the 5-stars.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
While I agree we need a strong recruiter, in my opinion we more importantly need a strong coach. With the currently opening being for special teams it is very important imo that we hire a coach that is capable of coaching both the oline and special teams. With the issues we've had on the oline recently and with how we can not afford for special teams to drop off the again, the first priority for me is, can this guy coach.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'll always have a soft spot for Joe Hamilton because of his great career as a player at Tech. I have no idea about his coaching ability, but I would be willing to bet that he could really light up recruiting for us in the southeast.

From what I understand he did a good job as running back coach for GA State.

Pat Hill brought as much or more nfl talent to a no name school than gt did over the same period including a 1 draft pick. He used to be a great recruiter. With his age now I am not sure if he would still be like that or not?

I can say this. The man can coach. He works for Smith who is good friends with Paul and pat is in Atlanta. There may be a lot to this rumor. Personally if he shows the same energy he did 10 years ago this is good for gt. Just my opinion
Fresno is basically a very big DeKalb College. Recruiting to Fresno is so far removed from recruiting to Georgia Tech as to be on a different planet.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am in a quandary over this one. I think the world of Pat Hill as an on-field coach. It seems they always played above their pay grade, in terms of talent etc, especially in the trenches. Pat Hill breeds toughness. That is the way I see it. I have no idea about him as a recruiter though, and Eric may be right. How many west coast kids are we likely to get here? Probably not that many. Lil Joe, on the other hand, is probably the smartest football player we have ever put on the field, personal issues not withstanding. He saw things develop and read defenses extremely well and always seemed to go the right place with the ball. Getting him on staff would be great too. Relating well with the players and recruits would be a natural fit. I would think he could do well at STs coach, but I am unsure of his ability to help with the line. Perhaps, with Joe, a shuffling of the deck will occur with his hiring.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Boomergump post: 46972 said:
I am in a quandary over this one. I think the world of Pat Hill as an on-field coach. It seems they always played above their pay grade, in terms of talent etc, especially in the trenches. Pat Hill breeds toughness. That is the way I see it. I have no idea about him as a recruiter though, and Eric may be right. How many west coast kids are we likely to get here? Probably not that many. Lil Joe, on the other hand, is probably the smartest football player we have ever put on the field, personal issues not withstanding. He saw things develop and read defenses extremely well and always seemed to go the right place with the ball. Getting him on staff would be great too. Relating well with the players and recruits would be a natural fit. I would think he could do well at STs coach, but I am unsure of his ability to help with the line. Perhaps, with Joe, a shuffling of the deck will occur with his hiring.

Correct. Joe wouldn't be on the line...but the job is still wide open and it wouldn't surprise me to see a name not mentioned get the job. Only time will tell!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Fresno is basically a very big DeKalb College. Recruiting to Fresno is so far removed from recruiting to Georgia Tech as to be on a different planet.

Very true. Anything he did at Fresno in terms of recruiting has less than no bearing on what he could do here.

Any chance of bringing back Todd Spencer? I can't remember if his violation was severe enough to disqualify him from coming back. I'm also shocked no one has thrown Giff Smith out again (for the millionth time).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Very true. Anything he did at Fresno in terms of recruiting has less than no bearing on what he could do here.

Any chance of bringing back Todd Spencer? I can't remember if his violation was severe enough to disqualify him from coming back. I'm also shocked no one has thrown Giff Smith out again (for the millionth time).

Giff just signed a contract to coach the Titans DL, iiuc.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Didn't the falcons fire him for the atrocious o line play last season? Wouldn't that be more of the same for us? Can't we find a good o line coach?

If Jesus Christ was an OL coach he couldn't have helped the Falcons O-line last year. That was just plain awful. The O-line coach took the bullets meant for Dimitroff.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If Jesus Christ was an OL coach he couldn't have helped the Falcons O-line last year. That was just plain awful. The O-line coach took the bullets meant for Dimitroff.

3000157.jpg

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Lethargy with age is a valid concern, but you can also be energetic at 63. Has Pat Hill been energetic lately? I think that should be the question if energeticness is desired. Maybe you are more up on Hill than me and know he is not that energetic.

Al Groh was an energetic 60+year old.

Just sayin'.