Pastner vs Crean

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, and Stegeman sells out even though that redneck fan base doesn’t give 2 s***s about basketball.

But posters on here will tell you that losing to them (again) didn’t matter because that game isn’t important.

As soon as they hired Crean, I new it was going to be bad for GT. They are more serious than us and they don’t even care about basketball.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone knows about Edwards, but Sahvir Wheeler is a hell of a freshman point guard. Wish he was a helluva engineer.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Pastner vs. Crean is essentially no contest. But to play devil’s advocate, UGAg has multiple times the amount of funds to spend on basketball that Tech does. Their money maker is football, and it’s in an extremely stable place right now. Losing 5 games in a row to Georgia is definitely hurting Tech, regardless of what some posters on here will try to lead you to believe. I don’t give a s*** if it’s not a conference game, or doesn’t matter in terms of selection Sunday. It matters to people in the state. It matters in terms of perception of the program. The perception of Tech in-state is that it’s a miserable program in all sports, and that Georgia “runs this state.” When Georgia football is about as high as it can go nationally, and Georgia basketball is on the way up and dominating Tech, there is nothing positive a Tech fan can say, or a Tech coach can say to recruit against Georgia. It’s not about “little brother syndrome.” You can not recruit big time in state recruits when you are one of the worst programs in the state. Georgia State and Georgia, maybe even Mercer, have surpassed Tech as better programs in the state.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Pastner vs. Crean is essentially no contest. But to play devil’s advocate, UGAg has multiple times the amount of funds to spend on basketball that Tech does. Their money maker is football, and it’s in an extremely stable place right now. Losing 5 games in a row to Georgia is definitely hurting Tech, regardless of what some posters on here will try to lead you to believe. I don’t give a s*** if it’s not a conference game, or doesn’t matter in terms of selection Sunday. It matters to people in the state. It matters in terms of perception of the program. The perception of Tech in-state is that it’s a miserable program in all sports, and that Georgia “runs this state.” When Georgia football is about as high as it can go nationally, and Georgia basketball is on the way up and dominating Tech, there is nothing positive a Tech fan can say, or a Tech coach can say to recruit against Georgia. It’s not about “little brother syndrome.” You can not recruit big time in state recruits when you are one of the worst programs in the state. Georgia State and Georgia, maybe even Mercer, have surpassed Tech as better programs in the state.
Damn you really went off. I feel you though, it's extremely frustrating. I keep telling myself to just forget this was ever a rivalry at all because let's face it, UGA damn nears pounds us every year in nearly every sport lol

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Year 2 of Crean and Georgia signs the #3 player in America and knocks off Memphis on the road which will help them come Selection Sunday. Meanwhile we’re in year 4, haven’t sniffed the tournament and are under major NCAA sanctions. Crean hasn’t needed a 5 Year Rebuild. It’s really an infuriating situation.
Yeah & our recruiting isn’t very impressive & it seems uga is in the mix for some big time players . They’ll lose hammonds & Edwards though

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The most frustrating part is the fact we have so many advantages:

Better conference
Better facilities (McCamish is a fantastic arena)
Better basketball history
Better success with players in NBA
Better city/location

Yet the dwags have overtaken us.

UGA is willing to do things we are not. I'll just leave it at that.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Can't believe we have a coach that went 11-21 and 2-16 in conference last year.
Lol, is this a serious comment? Yeah you’re right, Tech doesn’t have a coach that went 11-21 last year, they just have one that went 14-18 and 6-12 in conference. Oh and by the way, lost to that 11-21 guy. This is like Vandy football fans talking about Tennessee and saying, “at least we don’t have a coach that went 4-8 and 0-8 in conference last year.”

The 2 programs are on opposite trajectories currently. Tech continuing its downward spiral, Georgia on the way up. Like I said, I don’t think it has to be this way even with Pastner holding the job. But to make up ground again it has to start with recruiting. It seems recruiting is on the uptick compared to recent seasons. But Georgia is still winning in that department too.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Lol, is this a serious comment? Yeah you’re right, Tech doesn’t have a coach that went 11-21 last year, they just have one that went 14-18 and 6-12 in conference. Oh and by the way, lost to that 11-21 guy. This is like Vandy football fans talking about Tennessee and saying, “at least we don’t have a coach that went 4-8 and 0-8 in conference last year.”

The 2 programs are on opposite trajectories currently. Tech continuing its downward spiral, Georgia on the way up. Like I said, I don’t think it has to be this way even with Pastner holding the job. But to make up ground again it has to start with recruiting. It seems recruiting is on the uptick compared to recent seasons. But Georgia is still winning in that department too.

Is this a serious topic? This topic is hyping up them knocking off memphis on the road the same day we had a start to finish dominating performance against UNC on the road. UNC was without Anthony and Memphis was without Weisman. Memphis was ranked in the top 10 in large part because they started ranked 14th on the back of a big recruiting class, the centerpiece of which is no longer enrolled. Had they played 3 top 10 teams like UNC did they wouldn't be ranked in the top 10 either. Crean is STILL under .500 at UGA, and STILL 2-16 in conference at UGA. You'd think GT "fans" would at least wait until he's accomplished something there before sucking a UGA coach off.

But he signed the #3 player in the country? Hewitt signed the #1 player in the country and we were back to being irrelevant and missing the tournament the very next year. Wonder what happens next year when they lose Edwards, especially if Hammonds also goes pro? They also will lose their #3 scorer in Crump and #5 scorer in Gresham. They will almost certainly lose 3 of their top 5 players and there is a real possibility they will lose 4 of the top 5. And their 2020 class is nearly identical to our own with the only real difference being they have an extra 3 star (average rating is 4 ten thousandth's of a difference). Meanwhile we lose Banks, who might be our 3rd best player this year and probably closer to 5th than 4th. Yet UGA is on the way up and we're in a downward spiral? Come on man.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Is this a serious topic? This topic is hyping up them knocking off memphis on the road the same day we had a start to finish dominating performance against UNC on the road. UNC was without Anthony and Memphis was without Weisman. Memphis was ranked in the top 10 in large part because they started ranked 14th on the back of a big recruiting class, the centerpiece of which is no longer enrolled. Had they played 3 top 10 teams like UNC did they wouldn't be ranked in the top 10 either. Crean is STILL under .500 at UGA, and STILL 2-16 in conference at UGA. You'd think GT "fans" would at least wait until he's accomplished something there before sucking a UGA coach off.

But he signed the #3 player in the country? Hewitt signed the #1 player in the country and we were back to being irrelevant and missing the tournament the very next year. Wonder what happens next year when they lose Edwards, especially if Hammonds also goes pro? They also will lose their #3 scorer in Crump and #5 scorer in Gresham. They will almost certainly lose 3 of their top 5 players and there is a real possibility they will lose 4 of the top 5. And their 2020 class is nearly identical to our own with the only real difference being they have an extra 3 star (average rating is 4 ten thousandth's of a difference). Meanwhile we lose Banks, who might be our 3rd best player this year and probably closer to 5th than 4th. Yet UGA is on the way up and we're in a downward spiral? Come on man.
Let’s see... Crean has signed (6) 4 starts and (1) five star in 2 recruiting classes at Georgia. Pastner has signed (2) 4 stars in 5 recruiting classes. Crean is 2-0 against Pastner, and 1-0 in Atlanta. Crean is 10-3 and Pastner is 7-7. Like I’ve said, the win at UNC is about as big of a win as JP can get, regardless of circumstances. But if you can look at the state of the 2 programs and not think Georgia is rocketing past Tech, then your gold colored classes are much darker than mine are.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Let’s see... Crean has signed (6) 4 starts and (1) five star in 2 recruiting classes at Georgia. Pastner has signed (2) 4 stars in 5 recruiting classes. Crean is 2-0 against Pastner, and 1-0 in Atlanta. Crean is 10-3 and Pastner is 7-7. Like I’ve said, the win at UNC is about as big of a win as JP can get, regardless of circumstances. But if you can look at the state of the 2 programs and not think Georgia is rocketing past Tech, then your gold colored classes are much darker than mine are.

Oh, back to the recruiting argument where they have signed 4*s Jaykwon Walton (35 total minutes over 6 games this year), Christian Brown (10 mpg and under 5 ppg), and Toumani Camara (under 6 ppg). Huge gains there. I also find it funny that you use Rivals to give UGA a 6th 4* (KD Johnson) but somehow forget that Rivals rated Jose a 4* giving us 3 instead of 2. Wonder why that was lol. Probably for the same reason you conveniently leave off bringing in Banks and Usher. But regardless. The entire argument is basically boils down to one big class. Not actually doing anything on the court.

How are they rocketing past us? Despite beating us last year we had the better year. Edwards won't help their program beyond this year, and they are losing a lot more than us, while signing an almost identical class. So even if this year is better for them, which them doing better in conference play isn't a given, their future is far from guaranteed as being better. This year they haven't even started conference play and one good win doesn't prove anything. Maybe they will have a great conference play and justify the sentiment with something actually done on the court but wait for it to actually happen before anointing Crean the chosen one.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck

The last time they’ve beaten us this many times in a row was before WW2 ended .