Pastner Staff Thread

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wow - Slow sports day. I can't believe Ken doesn't have anything else to write about...

Wait, with one of the biggest recruiting periods starting today for one of the best in-state classes in years, you're shocked KSug couldn't find something better to write about?

I dropped golf in 1965, so I might qualify. But, then, one of my big "flaws", so I have been told, is that I am also a control freak, so Pastner and I could never work together.

Yeah, I can see that.

Just messin with you :D

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So this golf thing is apparently getting a lot of folks' attention. CBS did a follow-up with him ...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...tner-refuses-to-hire-assistants-who-play-golf

"I'm going to be really meticulous, really take my time," Pastner said of the hiring process. "None of my assistants can be golfers. If any of my assistants are golfers, won't fly with me. It's not as much is that it's golf, it's that, if you're going to be here, you're going to have to work like crazy. We're rebuilding. It's going to be a seven-day-a-week job."

"I'm excited about that challenge to build something from the bottom," Pastner said of the Georgia Tech gig. "The guys who I hire have to be aligned with me to understand what kind of work ethic it's going to take to get this thing of built. ... And I love golf. I loved watching when Tiger Woods was in his prime. I have a great appreciation for golf. Those athletes are some of the best in the world. It's not about my staff not golfing, it's just, it's more of the time commitment. It's about the theory, you're not even going to have time. You can't even be on your cellphone when you're on the course. It's not the ethical way to play golf, you can't be on your cellphone the whole time."

Man, just say STTE: "We have a lot of work to do to get things going, we probably won't have time for things like golfing right now." and leave it at that.

Most telling part of the article stated that CPast was headed to NY last night (I guess?) for day 1 of recruiting. EYBL? Paging @dtm1997 ....

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, just say STTE: "We have a lot of work to do to get things going, we probably won't have time for things like golfing right now." and leave it at that.
This sums it up and seems to get to the heart of what he's trying to say (maybe he needs you, @kg01 for your succinctness). Of course it'll get beaten to death along the way, but I'm glad he's looking for guys that are 100% committed.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Pastner is a dumbass. Way to rule out a bunch of good assistants while making yourself look like a psychotic control freak in the process. This is off to a great start. I'm sure it will end well.

Dumbass? Sounds like he knows the mess he inherited and what it will take to fix it. I don't want our assistants wasting 5-6 hours a week either getting drunk out on the golf course either.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here's the take away, imo
You spend 15 min on the web trying to find out about Pastner, you're going to find out he's the nicest guy in the world, and you're going to find the Shaq interview:
And you can check the facts on that. We done had four new (assistant) coaches (in his four years at Memphis). Fifteen transfers. And everything else. And two strength coaches being fired. So you can add all that in there, too.

Q: But it seems like something is missing between player and coach. I don't know if love is the right word? Or trust?

A: I think it starts with your head coach. Because if your head coach sets the tone, everybody follows. If he were to just — like you said, with that love — be that overly loving, unconditional love coach, that would spread throughout the program. And then the assistants would say, 'That's how he handled it, so that's how I'm gonna handle it.' And the players would look at it like, 'So that's how we're gonna handle it.'

But since sometimes there's some love, sometimes there's this, then sometimes it's just, 'Go to the bench' — it's just so much, you're just like, 'I don't know what to do.'

Q: So you never really know where you stand?

A: You don't know where you stand. I could be buried one day and I could be the man the next day."

Now, you read that he's going to expect you to work 7 days a week? If he get's good guys to buy in, well, I guess it's good there were no surprises. But, man, I wonder who it is that's going to want to sign up for this.

We'll see.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Now, you read that he's going to expect you to work 7 days a week? If he get's good guys to buy in, well, I guess it's good there were no surprises. But, man, I wonder who it is that's going to want to sign up for this.

From everything I have read it sounds like he's asking no more of his assistants than he demands of himself in terms of time commitment. I don't see the problem. We're a program with no momentum in any way, shape, or form. This isn't the job to take if you want to waste half the weekend doing nothing productive. Also people are putting way too much stock in that interview with Shaq.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
From everything I have read it sounds like he's asking no more of his assistants than he demands of himself in terms of time commitment. I don't see the problem. We're a program with no momentum in any way, shape, or form. This isn't the job to take if you want to waste half the weekend doing nothing productive. Also people are putting way too much stock in that interview with Shaq.

Well, I'm not that down on it. I just don't think it's the greatest thing to have out there.

I imagine most coaches have similar stances to the work ethic they want from their assistants. However, telling guys who are good enough to have options that they have to be 7-day a week workaholic freaks isn't the best tact IMO.

What if a guy just wants to have some family time? That's technically non-productive. Does that make him a slacker?

It's just not a good look.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I was with you right up until the last part. The Shaq interview paired with the exodus of numerous people in numerous positions around the program is very telling and it does concern me. I really hope we are able to pull some strong assistants to hopefully keep those situations from re-occurring

Tech First

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I'm not that down on it. I just don't think it's the greatest thing to have out there.

Actually If that is what he is going to expect for his assistants. I THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO GET IT OUT THERE BECAUSE IT WILL KEEP HIM FROM HAVING TO DEAL WITH A LOT OF CANIDATES THAT WILL NOT MEET HIS REQUIREMENTS.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I imagine most coaches have similar stances to the work ethic they want from their assistants. However, telling guys who are good enough to have options that they have to be 7-day a week workaholic freaks isn't the best tact IMO.

What if a guy just wants to have some family time? That's technically non-productive. Does that make him a slacker?

It's just not a good look.

Are you comparing golfing with family time? Come on. Beyond the obvious differences, the important one, that was spelled out, was the complete disconnect from the rest of the world while playing golf. Even while spending time with the family people will still usually have their phones on. And it's also obvious that he was talking about someone who golfed every week, not just someone who two or three times a year went golfing. And I don't care if someone is good enough to have options. If they want a job that they can slack off during, then they can go somewhere else. Programs that are already in good condition don't need assistants that do as much. Building required more work than maintaining and we need someone who is willing to put in that work.

Like I said, this isn't a problem as long as he isn't asking his staff to do anything different than what he is willing to do. And by all accounts he isn't.

I was with you right up until the last part. The Shaq interview paired with the exodus of numerous people in numerous positions around the program is very telling and it does concern me. I really hope we are able to pull some strong assistants to hopefully keep those situations from re-occurring

The exodus of players/coaches is it's own issue. The interview with Goodwin is a jumbled mess. He seemed overwhelmed with the concept of a coach sometimes showing love and other times being terse. He questioned why he was benched when he was playing poorly. In general he seems like he is just fumbling through the entire thing with no real handle on what he is trying to say. Sorry if I don't read anything into it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Are you comparing golfing with family time? Come on. Beyond the obvious differences, the important one, that was spelled out, was the complete disconnect from the rest of the world while playing golf. Even while spending time with the family people will still usually have their phones on. And it's also obvious that he was talking about someone who golfed every week, not just someone who two or three times a year went golfing. And I don't care if someone is good enough to have options. If they want a job that they can slack off during, then they can go somewhere else. Programs that are already in good condition don't need assistants that do as much. Building required more work than maintaining and we need someone who is willing to put in that work.

Like I said, this isn't a problem as long as he isn't asking his staff to do anything different than what he is willing to do. And by all accounts he isn't.

The exodus of players/coaches is it's own issue. The interview with Goodwin is a jumbled mess. He seemed overwhelmed with the concept of a coach sometimes showing love and other times being terse. He questioned why he was benched when he was playing poorly. In general he seems like he is just fumbling through the entire thing with no real handle on what he is trying to say. Sorry if I don't read anything into it.

Don't have to apologize for it. It's your opinion. You're welcome to it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Yeah, but he could also be alienating guys who could really help us. We don't know. The fact that no one has been hired is approaching the point of being a little weird.

@lv20gt many have said that the exodus stemmed from his personality. This golf thing could (emphasis on 'could') be that same thing rearing it's ugly head. No, I wasn't comparing golfing to family time, but let me back up to my original point. This isn't the best look for us. Raises too many questions especially considering the rumors and such coming out of MEM regarding his demeanor.