Pastner Has Maximized Tech's Talent

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@Supersizethatorder-mutt - replying to your post of the Bradley article over here, to leave the Coaching Search thread for more general discussion.

I agree with the article. I'm probably higher on Pastner than most at this point in time. I'm a HUGE fan of our D. Our O is difficult to watch but could be quickly remedied with a go-to scorer as we have a plethora of solid 2nd options. Kind of thinking it has to be Banks or Usher to get us going next year, unless something shakes loose in the late-signing/coaching carousel timeframe.

But, we have to find that go-to scorer to make this work and build momentum.

@Supersizethatorder-mutt - replying to your post of the Bradley article over here, to leave the Coaching Search thread for more general discussion.

I agree with the article. I'm probably higher on Pastner than most at this point in time. I'm a HUGE fan of our D. Our O is difficult to watch but could be quickly remedied with a go-to scorer as we have a plethora of solid 2nd options. Kind of thinking it has to be Banks or Usher to get us going next year, unless something shakes loose in the late-signing/coaching carousel timeframe.

Wasn't sure where to make my post; "coaching carousel" seemed best, but whatever works.
I know CJP is working is tail off to sign good players, but you can't force someone to sign with us. I just don't understand why ANY 5-star player would sign with the mutts. If we were ever actually in the running for that guy, then how did we blow it?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I would think the best chance for a go to scorer next year is still Devoe. Banks is not strong enough or skilled enough to be able to get his shot whenever he wants it. Usher is still a mystery to me. Devoe was on a nice path until he ran into FSU’s athleticism.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I would think the best chance for a go to scorer next year is still Devoe. Banks is not strong enough or skilled enough to be able to get his shot whenever he wants it. Usher is still a mystery to me. Devoe was on a nice path until he ran into FSU’s athleticism.
I love Devoe's game and upside. He does well getting to the bucket when he receives a kick out or when defenses are rotating. But I've hardly seen him break a guy down dead stop or from the top of the key. Maybe we're just not asking him to do it. Same was true for him last year in high school... not "the guy". I'm not saying he cannot become the guy, I just think he'll need more grooming including on the mental "me-first" side.

I'm taking a flyer on Usher. Also a mystery to me as to how he'll come right in. My guesses right now for him and Banks start with athleticism and age/tenure. Banks still needs to make a jump to be "the guy". Better jumper, better court awareness at times, etc. But he's got the raw tools i.e., huge, has some touch, and fairly nimble for his size. Neither Banks nor Usher are there yet and frankly I'm keeping my expectations low that they'll get to where I'm suggesting we need them... I just think they're closest to ready.

Back to Devoe, my rule of thumb for a guard being a 1st option generally means 1) you have top flight athleticism and 2) can be a threat at all 3 levels when the shot clock is at 8 seconds. Devoe is missing all-conference burst and strength right now. And I haven't seen enough of a pull-up yet. He could still end up being our top scorer while not being the alpha.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Neither is screaming All ACC first team. :confused:

Devoe is crafty (nice way of saying he doesn’t have an incredible burst/first step). But he can shoot when right and I do expect him to be stronger next year. Normal progression

Banks on the other hand gets the same treatment I do at the 3 point line - only he gets it at the foul line. Give it to him he can’t shoot. I don’t see that miraculously changing for his SR year. Same with strength and footwork. Even though it is only our second year with him, this will be his SR year and that is a ton of progressing to ask of a rising SR

That and you really don’t see centers as your go to scorer much in college anymore. o_O

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Cuse - excellent post and I think this sums up my position as well. I don’t think we’re that far away. Definitely hate all of the losses, but Usher will be a HUGE shot in the arm next year.

Also, I’m not basing this off of any intel or rumor, but I’d be willing to bet we find a grad transfer with a reputation as a scorer this Spring. I mean, we pretty much have too. Adding Usher will help, but we still need another guy that can go get their own bucket.

As Bradley’s article pointed out, our offense (or lack thereof) has clearly cost us games this year. Pastner knows he cannot go through another year with a poor offense.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Devoe is crafty (nice way of saying he doesn’t have an incredible burst/first step). But he can shoot when right and I do expect him to be stronger next year. Normal progression

Banks on the other hand gets the same treatment I do at the 3 point line - only he gets it at the foul line. Give it to him he can’t shoot. I don’t see that miraculously changing for his SR year. Same with strength and footwork. Even though it is only our second year with him, this will be his SR year and that is a ton of progressing to ask of a rising SR

That and you really don’t see centers as your go to scorer much in college anymore. o_O

It may be a stretch to consider him as our go-to scorer, but I do think that he has potential to increase his numbers considerably.

As Pastner has mentioned (at every opportunity), he doesn’t have a lot of game/playing experience. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe he could jump in the scoring column, especially if we can get some perimeter help. He’s a lot better in the paint when opposing teams can’t sag on him.

Also, he will add 4-5 pts per game by just making bunnies more consistently..lol

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

No need to be confused. I believe we are largely on the same page.

I agree. No one is screaming All ACC first team, nor all conference which is what I meant. Your guess is as good as mine as to who is most capable of getting there next year. Hope that clarifies the context with which I was making my points.

Banks also does not have to shoot jumpers if he’s left wide open. Step in and learn a floater or hook, which is more in his wheelhouse. I think he’s shown elite athleticism that perhaps a full year with Reveno can harness.

We are grasping at straws right now as to how we get it done next year. Main point I’m making is, give us one go-to scorer and the pressure is off our plethora of complementary pieces. We would need someone to make a big jump or land someone not on our radar yet.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I am hoping that an entire off season with Reveno will see him make a significant leap in play around the basket.

slugboy

Staff member
I am hoping that an entire off season with Reveno will see him make a significant leap in play around the basket.
I know that Reveno coached Lammers, and I think he's been coaching AD and Banks. Maybe it's a bad thinking on my part, but I'd like to see Cole, Moore, and maybe (???) Wright do some of what Lammers did around the basket, but I'm not sure if Reveno coaches them too.
Also, I've seen Banks or AD smothered by three players, and in that situation I'd love to see him kick the ball out even a couple of feet to a forward for a 6-8 foot shot (that we ought to be able to make) instead of trying to make a layup through all those other players.
Sjolund just looks like an outside shooter, and I'm not sure if I'd ever want to use him the same way that I'd want to use the "thicker" forwards.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
" This is Josh Pastner’s best coaching job at Georgia Tech, better even than the 21-win rookie season that saw him named ACC coach of the year for taking the Yellow Jackets to the NIT final. Over 95 games, we’ve seen enough to know that Tech is working under an astute tactician, which should augur only seashells and balloons. The loaded key word is: “should.” "

Deleted member 2897

I have noticed when Alvarado is not in, we play a lot of time with 5 guys who are in their first year playing at Tech. That's why its called a rebuild. Alvarado and Devoe both had the flu last week, almost at the same time the other 3 guys did. We can't catch a break. I hope we get 1 more good guy this spring - I think we have a good base for next year with almost everybody of consequence returning and we'll have 4 guys in the top 125 as recruits on the team.

I like to remind people that Josh Pastner has gotten ACC Coach of the Year half of his time here. :D

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I agree that our defense is pretty darn good. That takes desire and fortitude.

Just wish we could break 60 points a game with the offense each game with some 70 and 80 pointers in the mix.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Good article by Bradley CJP has said we are one top flight recruit away from being very good and he's right. The trick is getting that top flight recruit.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
I know that Reveno coached Lammers, and I think he's been coaching AD and Banks. Maybe it's a bad thinking on my part, but I'd like to see Cole, Moore, and maybe (???) Wright do some of what Lammers did around the basket, but I'm not sure if Reveno coaches them too.
Also, I've seen Banks or AD smothered by three players, and in that situation I'd love to see him kick the ball out even a couple of feet to a forward for a 6-8 foot shot (that we ought to be able to make) instead of trying to make a layup through all those other players.
Sjolund just looks like an outside shooter, and I'm not sure if I'd ever want to use him the same way that I'd want to use the "thicker" forwards.
Before games when Reveno is working with the big men Cole and Wright are a part of that.