Pastner Closer to Hiring Assistants

slugboy

Staff member
You gotta say that. No one wants to put "no closer to hiring assistants" or "even further from hiring assistants" in the press.
This should be done by now--if not by Pastner then by Stansbury.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Got to recruit first, then get the right person. Don’t hire somebody just because he played at tech

Me thinks this recruiting season is a tryout. Be seen as doing well and here is your offer. Bit different than most situations but if you have that leverage why not?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My expectation is that the hires will be made between the 2 AAU periods - most likely late May imo.
Pastner has been told by Stansbury and Marvin Lewis to take his time and get the right people. Beyond Pastner both Stansbury and Lewis are interviewing the candidates.

I'll be very surprised if Swartz isn't one of the hires.

Also alot of chatter that a 'consultant' is being considered as an additional hire beyond the 2 open spots.

If Swartz is promoted full time then he has to hire one more asst as well as a replacement for Swartz's previous position.

I have a dream scenario for this, but i'll keep it to myself for now.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
My expectation is that the hires will be made between the 2 AAU periods - most likely late May imo.
Pastner has been told by Stansbury and Marvin Lewis to take his time and get the right people. Beyond Pastner both Stansbury and Lewis are interviewing the candidates.

Also alot of chatter that a 'consultant' is being considered as an additional hire beyond the 2 open spots.

If Swartz is promoted full time then he has to hire one more asst as well as a replacement for Swartz's previous position.

Consultant? Could his name rhyme with Bark Nice?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
If you are looking for Tech to add a former player who can shoot and relate to kids as a consultant, Mark Pric......
anthony-morrow-nba-los-angeles-clippers-oklahoma-city-thunder-850x560.jpg

He has been unemployed by the NBA for the last year....just sayin :whistle:

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we totally miss the mark when we rush CJP to hire Assistants on our schedule —-I.e. the schedule of enthusiastic Jacket fans. Our hearts and spirit are, no doubt, in the right place, but CJP (1) has to work with these assistants, not us; (2) the bald-headed truth is the program cannot weather another off-season / regular season of off-court issues like in ‘17-‘18. Stansbury and Lewis are correct: “ take your time, CJP. Do it your way. Hire the RIGHT person. Ultimately, the buck stops with you.”

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think we totally miss the mark when we rush CJP to hire Assistants on our schedule —-I.e. the schedule of enthusiastic Jacket fans. Our hearts and spirit are, no doubt, in the right place, but CJP (1) has to work with these assistants, not us; (2) the bald-headed truth is the program cannot weather another off-season / regular season of off-court issues like in ‘17-‘18. Stansbury and Lewis are correct: “ take your time, CJP. Do it your way. Hire the RIGHT person. Ultimately, the buck stops with you.”

I mean, I agree, in spirit. The question is......why does it take..........so..........****ing.........long to identify good candidates and offer them before they get sucked up by others

Hit a grand slam with the first round (Reveno, Labarrie, Hardy, Rio, Swartz)

I want to hope for the best the 2nd time around and I have faith in both CJP and TS but it would be nice for once to be ahead of the curve. It has been pretty obvious DLab was going to be a sacrificial lamb since December. To not have a plan ready to execute when the off-season was upon seems like a failure to me.

Maybe we struck out on our top 4 guys.....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I translate this

“strongly considering keeping Julian in the full-time role, but I have not made that decision.”

as, Swartz is going to be one of the assts but it won't be announced until all of the spots are filled.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I translate this

“strongly considering keeping Julian in the full-time role, but I have not made that decision.”

as, Swartz is going to be one of the assts but it won't be announced until all of the spots are filled.

I’ll double down.

Swartz getting that spot is an obvious choice, given the way he has dumped himself into that role it only makes sense to give him a shot, plus he is loyal to CJP. I love the move. I want it announced. Tonight. Along with your dream scenario.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I do wish they would get these spots hired and announced, but fortunately I am a very patient person (good thing as it seems like you need that in abundance as a GT fan).
Based on the article we can at least confirm that they talked to Hayes and Shinn. I bet they were at least waiting on Hayes to make a decision.

I can also see who Swartz works with changes based on who they hire. If they had hired Hayes I think he would have worked with the guards with Hayes working with wings. If they had hired Shinn they he works with wings (probably his more natural fit given his background) and Shinn would have had guards.

This reminds me a GT recruiting which never goes fast either. I started following GT basketball in 1982 and recruiting around 1985 (the era of the Poop Sheet and Blue Ribbon Handbook). Going back 35 years and 4 coaches recruits never seemed to come fast to GT like you see at some schools. They always seemed to come in the fall of their SR yrs usually after an official visit.

CharlotteJacket

Georgia Tech Fan

Thanks for the insight. How does a 'consultant' work? He can work with the players throughout practices and the season, but not on the bench and can't recruit?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You basically have the consultant spot nailed. They can help in practice, cannot recruit.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I agree with this. I think one of the things CJP acknowledged when he was hired here was that his biggest mistake at Memphis was in the choosing of the wrong assistant coaches when he had coaches leave. I think he hired too many young guys, guys who were friends, and guys with relationships with Memphis instead of just getting the best guys for the job. He also tended to get young guys when he himself was so young. I assume he wants to make sure he is getting it right at Tech. As others have said, it took a while to lineup the first guys, and they all seemed like home runs. Hoping for the same here!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mike Budenholzer still available. Just sayin...

Of course. he's at the top of the list for the NY Knicks and Milwaukee, but those jobs would be a step down from GT assistant coach....:whistle:

LibertyTurns

Banned
I want to hope for the best the 2nd time around and I have faith in both CJP and TS but it would be nice for once to be ahead of the curve. It has been pretty obvious DLab was going to be a sacrificial lamb since December. To not have a plan ready to execute when the off-season was upon seems like a failure to me.
You’re not wrong. It’s really frustrating why we seemingly cannot effectively manage our programs.