Passing in 2014

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just read in the dean Buchan article that we were dead last in passing completion percentage. Nowhere to go but up....

Really????

Oh ****, really. http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category02/sort03.html

Passing efficiency and pass completion rates are different. In pass completion we were the worst, in pass efficiency we were 86th (passing rating) or 20th (yards per attempt).

I'd like to see more shorter passes attempted and completed. I know CPJ has said that's a waste when the running game will pick up the same yards as a short pass, but at least we keep the D more honest.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
JT - will do well IMO because he has very quick feet and a quick release. Hope coach can call some plays where the reads are simple and JT can gain confidence.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Really????

Oh ****, really. http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category02/sort03.html

Passing efficiency and pass completion rates are different. In pass completion we were the worst, in pass efficiency we were 86th (passing rating) or 20th (yards per attempt).

I'd like to see more shorter passes attempted and completed. I know CPJ has said that's a waste when the running game will pick up the same yards as a short pass, but at least we keep the D more honest.

Different coaches have different philosophies about that. Mike Leach/Kevin Sumlin/Art Briles all use the short pass or screen game as a de facto running game because they have athletes they want to use in space to get those 5 yard pops....and sometimes break them for big gains. We used it with Demaryius Thomas in smoke routes as Peyton Manning does in Denver as well.

No one philosophy is correct. Just different ways to skin a defense.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You want proof, YOU WANT PROOF, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PROOF! : )

Proof that 7 passes received in the spring game, 3 others hit the hands of the receivers, 2 good coverages and zero interceptions in a wet rainy the spring game with a water logged ball. 1 or 2 sacks on passing plays.

Byerly threw the "Smelter on handed reception"

I have practice/scrimmage video in passing and, from what I have seen there, I have always been excited about these two as passers.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You want proof, YOU WANT PROOF, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PROOF! : )

Proof that 7 passes received in the spring game, 3 others hit the hands of the receivers, 2 good coverages and zero interceptions in a wet rainy the spring game with a water logged ball. 1 or 2 sacks on passing plays.

Byerly threw the "Smelter on handed reception"

I have practice/scrimmage video in passing and, from what I have seen there, I have always been excited about these two as passers.

Haha! I want to see proof from our team against another team not wearing GT. Lest you forget, Vad looked all-world the previous spring. He was getting HUGE chunk yardage on the ground, and took a few to the house just dusting guys in the open field. Then the 2013 season happened.

Like I keep saying, I hope to the gods of football I'm seriously wrong, but from what I've seen we'll more than likely pass about as well as last season at best (which wasn't all that bad BTW). It's going to be hard to be a lot better given all the factors I pointed out previously.

The fun of all this is we'll see in 6 weeks!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'll be pleasantly surprised is JT is an effective passer. The best thing he can do though is to run the option clean. Passing isn't that hard when the receivers are running free behind safeties playing the run.
I agree with this. Personally, I'm not a fan of JT's passing. I don't like his release but if he's running the offense efficiently then he'll have open receivers. What JT brings to the table is he's fast as crap and will command a lot of respect in the run game. All he has to do in the passing game is not throw stupid interceptions and be accurate enough on the deep ball to keep the defense honest and he can hit the hitch routes.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I never expected a lot with his passing touch and checking down. I did expect a lot on his arm strength, athletic running ability, and progression ability to run option offense.

I can understand needing game stats and proof. I just see more in the preparation, you play like your practice, in JT and Byerly. I would also say the passing stats from the spring game were better in 2014 than 2013 for the 1st team O.

The Miami interception was calling the same play too many times in a row using the same hand signals along with a major blind side hit.

thwgjacket

I never expected a lot with his passing touch and checking down. I did expect a lot on his arm strength, athletic running ability, and progression ability to run option offense.

I can understand needing game stats and proof. I just see more in the preparation, you play like your practice, in JT and Byerly. I would also say the passing stats from the spring game were better in 2014 than 2013 for the 1st team O.

The Miami interception was calling the same play too many times in a row using the same hand signals along with a major blind side hit.
JT's INT at Miami was because he didn't set his feet to throw. I was a baseball player, don't know much about playing QB but I know throwing mechanics and if he'll get his feet set and his shoulders turned he'll be fine. Otherwise the ball floats, aka Vad Lee.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is the play right after the monster hit… not much time to set. Smelter went after the ball.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want to see us against other teams too.

The reason our passing game was so bad was that we won D1 with the highest intercept to attempt ratio last year. Specifically we were intercepted 6.4% of the time. The next two teams (out of 125) were Utah and Southern Miss at 5.4%. That is a massive difference.

The best was Louisville at .9%.

A lot of it has to do with our long passing game where the ball is up for grabs a lot more ...... and also when it's third and long we pass and get a deep interception which still isn't good.

So next time people brag about our high yard per attempt, just remember it also comes with the highest turnover rate. There is no free lunch ......

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is the play right after the monster hit… not much time to set. Smelter went after the ball.

That play was a huge fail on many fronts, not just a rookie qb trying to make a play while down big late. Three other guys failed to protect their young qb:
1. Chamberlain got beat on the outside move. It was like his feet were stuck in quicksand. (If he's not any better this year, we're in deep doo doo!)
2. Laskey's matador impersonation would be comical if not for being very, very sad.
3. Even though Smelter made an attempt at the ball, he's got to do a better job of using his body position to seal off the defender and block his path to the ball. It's the job of the wr to play db on badly thrown balls. At the very least he should be able to tackle him at the spot of the interception.

texasjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We need that big bodied WR who will win that jump ball to get back to balancing out the offense. Those deep passes work great when you have that type of WR and he makes up for a lot of poor QB play. I don't think we have that WR yet, but I am hopeful QB play improves.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We need that big bodied WR who will win that jump ball to get back to balancing out the offense. Those deep passes work great when you have that type of WR and he makes up for a lot of poor QB play. I don't think we have that WR yet, but I am hopeful QB play improves.

Anyone else notice how the pass pro held up nicely on that play? Vad had all day to set his feet and step into the throw. Kudos to Deon Hill blocking a DL and not cutting.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
That play was a huge fail on many fronts, not just a rookie qb trying to make a play while down big late. Three other guys failed to protect their young qb:
1. Chamberlain got beat on the outside move. It was like his feet were stuck in quicksand. (If he's not any better this year, we're in deep doo doo!)
2. Laskey's matador impersonation would be comical if not for being very, very sad.
3. Even though Smelter made an attempt at the ball, he's got to do a better job of using his body position to seal off the defender and block his path to the ball. It's the job of the wr to play db on badly thrown balls. At the very least he should be able to tackle him at the spot of the interception.

There are *seven* blockers on that play and Miami gets an immediate rush from both defensive ends. No pocket to step up into. No room to escape. Really, all Justin could have done was hug the ball and take the sack.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are *seven* blockers on that play and Miami gets an immediate rush from both defensive ends. No pocket to step up into. No room to escape. Really, all Justin could have done was hug the ball and take the sack.
Yes on the first part, no on the second. He had time to get a throw off, he should have put it in the second row.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow

We have the big body receiver, Waller, Smelter and Autry, we just need to use them more. Hopefully we come out in more sets that include more receivers in the formation, Using Smelter in the AB position would be a great formation whether he goes out for a pass or is part of the option. Look at the UGA film when GT came out with a bunch formation set to the left side. The dogs had to call time out because they were far from ready to defend. They still didn't when GT moved the formation to the right side and we got a first down. More formations or using our athletes in different formations force opposing teams to not spend so much time getting ready for our option game.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
JT - will do well IMO because he has very quick feet and a quick release. Hope coach can call some plays where the reads are simple and JT can gain confidence.

He needs to be in the shotgun more often in my opinion. Someone with his skill set needs to work in space along with a lot of our players. Nesbitt was good in our offense because he was a bruiser..I think it's a waste to see JT under center 90% of the time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He needs to be in the shotgun more often in my opinion. Someone with his skill set needs to work in space along with a lot of our players. Nesbitt was good in our offense because he was a bruiser..I think it's a waste to see JT under center 90% of the time.
disagree. His speed and quickness are just as valuable in our under-center formation and has the advantage of hitting the LOS much quicker. On top of that, the rest of the O doesn't have to change what they do.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

If the BB makes a good block the QB can step up into the pocket (with an extra second and a better look to throw) and Chamberlain's guy is too deep to hurt us right away. This play breakdown IMO is more on the poor BB block than on the OT.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Not really. We don't throw the ball up for grabs inside the 20 much if at all, so our WRs don't have to be 6'5. We need guys that can stretch the field. I like that we are going with 6'0 - 6''2 WRs with a little more speed. We don't need more Waller's and Jeff Greene's who are projects.