Passing Game Question

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Let me say I am glad my question is generating the kind of responses I'm seeing. I have never thought or wished that CPJ would turn the offense into a pass first or pass happy attack. In my mind I like the idea of forcing a defense to respect and fear the pass out of this offense. Running against a 7 man front just opens up so many more holes for the run game and with a truly viable passing game teams cannot have 8 in the box and cheat the 9th toward containing the run. The offense is always going to force the D to play a man scheme so with a viable passing attack the D has to play more honest. We've seen team play 8 within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and have their corners 3 yards off the wideouts. In essence the D has 10 players no more than 5 yards off the line of scrimmage and this makes running the ball more difficult. When the D is having to play honest both corners are 7-10 yards off and the safeties are 10-15 yards off thus allowing the backs an easier path to the 2nd and 3rd levels. Let's keep the discussion going, I'm enjoying this!

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Let me say I am glad my question is generating the kind of responses I'm seeing. I have never thought or wished that CPJ would turn the offense into a pass first or pass happy attack. In my mind I like the idea of forcing a defense to respect and fear the pass out of this offense. Running against a 7 man front just opens up so many more holes for the run game and with a truly viable passing game teams cannot have 8 in the box and cheat the 9th toward containing the run. The offense is always going to force the D to play a man scheme so with a viable passing attack the D has to play more honest. We've seen team play 8 within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and have their corners 3 yards off the wideouts. In essence the D has 10 players no more than 5 yards off the line of scrimmage and this makes running the ball more difficult. When the D is having to play honest both corners are 7-10 yards off and the safeties are 10-15 yards off thus allowing the backs an easier path to the 2nd and 3rd levels. Let's keep the discussion going, I'm enjoying this!

Yes, good discussion.

We have definitely seen CPJ change his playcalling based on what the defense gives us. Great example was the start of the Clemson game last year. We were stuffed in the first series, didn't even get a first down. Second series started with a bomb to Autry and a couple more passes later, we scored.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Like I said we don't need to pass more we just need to be more efficient...throwing 10 more times in a game isn't going to make us that more efficient. Plus with the guy we had under center did we really want to pass more? I think we should be able to throw around 15 times a game like Xenoabe said and be efficient at that...that will make teams respect the pass.

And from the recruiting side I can tell you that passing a little more won't affect anything...the perception isn't going to change. The same kids that are going to come here if we're throwing 20 times a game are the same ones that will come in we throw 10.

More efficiency will not get better stats but open up the game for MORE passing attempts. If we can't complete more that 50% of the attempts don't expect to see a lot more attempts.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes, good discussion.

We have definitely seen CPJ change his play calling based on what the defense gives us. Great example was the start of the Clemson game last year. We were stuffed in the first series, didn't even get a first down. Second series started with a bomb to Autry and a couple more passes later, we scored.

This...

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
More efficiency will not get better stats but open up the game for MORE passing attempts. If we can't complete more that 50% of the attempts don't expect to see a lot more attempts.

That's a Catch-22. I've never seen a team get better at passing without actually throwing passes in a game. If we continue to propagate the argument that we "will throw more when we can complete more", I fear we shall never pass more.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That's a Catch-22. I've never seen a team get better at passing without actually throwing passes in a game. If we continue to propagate the argument that we "will throw more when we can complete more", I fear we shall never pass more.

Echo those sentiments.. Pass the damn ball

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I would agree if they are stopping the run. If they can't stop the run, why take a risk by throwing?

As a general rule, I agree with you. However, I contend that not only is a passing game an acquired skill by all 11 players, but passing the ball (even if you don't complete it but your WR gets behind the secondary) will just further open up the running game.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow

True, but we also needed a competent passer. I truly don't believe we've had that since CPJ arrived and I hope this year changes that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The real struggle is finding enough time in practice to hone your bread and butter plays, ones that require repetition in practice to be effective in games, and practice a passing game that is equally as repetition needy.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The passing game this year depends on one guy: Darren Waller. He will be the biggest guy out there, single covered by guys who are at least 6 inches shorter and weigh 30-40lbs less than he does. He should be able to grab any reasonably thrown ball out of the air. I hate to put everything on one guy, but this offense is awesome with a star receiver and he's basically all we have (experience and size.) If Waller has 700 yards receiving we'll be doing great, 900+ and we'll have a special season. It also doesn't hurt our recruiting having a stat king at receiver.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The passing game this year depends on one guy: Darren Waller. He will be the biggest guy out there, single covered by guys who are at least 6 inches shorter and weigh 30-40lbs less than he does. He should be able to grab any reasonably thrown ball out of the air. I hate to put everything on one guy, but this offense is awesome with a star receiver and he's basically all we have (experience and size.) If Waller has 700 yards receiving we'll be doing great, 900+ and we'll have a special season. It also doesn't hurt our recruiting having a stat king at receiver.

I think he's a key guy, but I also think we intend to spread the ball around a lot this year. Abacks will get a ton of throws this year, and that will disrupt defenses stacking the box, too.