Pass Interference Question

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
On the pass to Deon, the DB is in position and the ball is underthrown causing them to collide. This very often gets called pass interference which I don’t agree with. DJ is clearly riding his guy holding on to him which is slowing him down. I agree with the calls.

On the pass to Deon, the DB is in position and the ball is underthrown causing them to collide. This very often gets called pass interference which I don’t agree with. DJ is clearly riding his guy holding on to him which is slowing him down. I agree with the calls.
Defensive holding. DB are taught to take every advantage.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I would add a slight correction to this IMHO. This often gets called pass interference where the DB is playing the player instead of the ball. That is what was happening here. In situations where the DB is playing the ball, has eyes on the ball, and makes contact going up for an underthrown ball, I agree that is not interference. However, where the DB has no idea where the ball is and prevents the receiver from coming back towards an underthrown ball by making contact, that is pass interference IMHO.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I would add a slight correction to this IMHO. This often gets called pass interference where the DB is playing the player instead of the ball. That is what was happening here. In situations where the DB is playing the ball, has eyes on the ball, and makes contact going up for an underthrown ball, I agree that is not interference. However, where the DB has no idea where the ball is and prevents the receiver from coming back towards an underthrown ball by making contact, that is pass interference IMHO.
To my eyes, the DB is playing the ball and Deon tries to jump over top of him to make the catch. It is debatable though so I can see the other viewpoint.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Neither was PI IMO. DJ was stride for stride with his man and the guy got in his way so he used his arm to balance himself. I don't think it was illegal, nor was the pass catchable, so it was a poor call.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I've seen the first one called all the time. The explanation is the defender never turned to play the ball and didn't allow the receiver to play it. In this case, not only did the defender shield the receiver from the ball, he collided with the receiver and all the while, never turned to play the ball. This is interference.

The second one is just ticky tac. The defender did nothing to affect the play, should have been a no call.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
You can have a hand on the receiver as long as you neither impede or change his momentum. But, the hand on the shoulder instead of the hip is asking for a PI call.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I've seen the first one called all the time. The explanation is the defender never turned to play the ball and didn't allow the receiver to play it. In this case, not only did the defender shield the receiver from the ball, he collided with the receiver and all the while, never turned to play the ball. This is interference.

The second one is just ticky tac. The defender did nothing to affect the play, should have been a no call.
I believe in the NFL the first would be an interference for sure. Was not playing the ball. In college it seems this play should be interference because he was shielding receiver from seeing the ball and blocking attempt of receiver to get to the ball.

But it is like holding. Who knows what the standard is.. Seems like they call it as they feel like it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The first one is not Pass Interference (my opinion). There is incidental contact between DH and the DB until the ball arrives. They both had their hands on each other. As the ball arrives, DH tries to come back to the ball and the DB face guards him. He then tackles Deon after the ball arrived. It is not against the rules to face guard in college. The DB doesn't have to look back to shield the receiver from the ball. However, that incidental contact is more times than not called. It's easier to see that in the Vine because it's slowed down.

The second is only interference if the receiver's motion is impeded. It didn't look like it was, but when the hand is on the shoulder, you ain't getting that call, regardless of why it was there.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
You can have a hand on the receiver as long as you neither impede or change his momentum. But, the hand on the shoulder instead of the hip is asking for a PI call.

hand on the receiver helps the defender to keep an eye on the QB while knowing where the receiver is