Parker Braun, where best to put him?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Imo, Parker is our best OL. In '14, Shaq Mason was our best OL. We put him at RG and we dominated. Why not move Parker over to the right side? Is there a different priority in our O with respect to RG vs LG? Whenever we've have dominant RG's, we've dominated. Uzzi, Mason... those two guys anchored our best OL's in the Johnson era, imo.

The only reason to keep PB at LG is if we can cement Will Bryan at RG. I think he can have the same impact there if he can be a full time RG. However, he is so versatile and valuable to the O as a utility guy and we are so prone to injury on the OL that I don't see that happening.

Anyway, I look forward to one of our most productive and dominating OL's since '14. We may even surpass it if we stay healthy.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Jack Defoor is gonna surprise some people this year I think he could be right next to Parker Braun as in our best OL I could see Defoor starting in our offense this year the boy is huge,I know I'm changing subjects but Defoor is gonna be good for us

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I could be completely wrong here but it seems like we prefer to put our best power blocker at our RG spot (maybe this would reverse for a left handed QB?)

I think Will has a little more power to his game and Parker has a bit more agility/ mobility. Both are beasts and if we can keep both at guard I think our O will roll.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
DeForr is a OT not a OG especially with the loss of Stickler right?

I think Parker will stay at LG and Will will stay at RG more often with Hansen getting some guard time as well

Deleted member 2897

When Shamire was on his game, he was like a grenade at that position and would just blow out like a 5 yard crater.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Have we actually seen anywhere that Defoor is an OT? He seems more like the size of guy we stick inside...could stick him at LG, move Braun over to RG and let Will play the RT position.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Whiskey_Clear is right in his explanation. Parker Braun is the best pulling guard we've got(except on soggy fields). So, we need him right where he is.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Defoor, I don't think he is in the two deep yet. I believe it's just due to his inexperience with our offensive scheme. I believe he played in a few games at Ole Miss last year, but not as a starter. He has a lot of potential. Bruan just needs to stay in the guard box. Cooper is the center and is pretty good at it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The best reason to put your best at RG is if the QB doesn't not pitch as well with his left so you had a really dominate side. otoh-you might put him at LG to balance with your plays to left side using your best blocker.(and could be used on pulling plays to right.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"The sooner u find out your wife is leaving u the more money u have after the divorce. "

Ditto returning OL guys from injury - rs senior and 2 year starter need to be ready day 1 or we need to play with the guys we have till they are ready.

i like what we did in the VT game when Will B was at rg ( Shamire was on bench). We got 2 long drives for td.

With the injured guys back and with Will bulked back up, ( i think he is slated for rg) we should be pretty salty.

With this group of highly experienced ol, coach can call all kinds of schemes.

If we have every one back and reserves are ready to get playing time, i say let parker stay at lg.

The only question is pass blocking. Most of the sudden break downs seemed to come from rt area. If we are missing the injured center and the injured tackle, i would agree we move parker to right side and move will to tackle.

i was thinking if we need Lee at Center that we might move parker to r tackle and play some of the backup guards.

Whose going to be back from injury.?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For the Miami game we should have one play where he is at tackle and we run a tackle eligible play towards the 'Canes sideline so can steamroll Mark Richt.

Good idea, but fwiw, there is no "tackle eligible" in NCAA. We can throw a backward pass to a tackle.