Parada named finalist for Golden Spikes Award

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Right here:

BTW, he’s also in the running for the Buster Posey Award.
I think Parada takes the Posey award but loses out to Melendez from Texas for Golden Spikes. If the voters for the Spikes award are media types rather than baseball insiders Melendez will take it because of his numbers. If they are baseball types they might lean more toward Parada knowing how hard it is to post the numbers he has while catching every game whereas Melendez is first baseman I believe. Also, keep in mind, with Texas still playing in the supers he has a chance to get a lot more media hype.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I think Parada takes the Posey award but loses out to Melendez from Texas for Golden Spikes. If the voters for the Spikes award are media types rather than baseball insiders Melendez will take it because of his numbers. If they are baseball types they might lean more toward Parada knowing how hard it is to post the numbers he has while catching every game whereas Melendez is first baseman I believe. Also, keep in mind, with Texas still playing in the supers he has a chance to get a lot more media hype.
and bigger fan base with Texas baseball fans. I was looking for tickets to the regional and they had a pop up to cast a vote for Melendez, so their marketing and social media engine dwarfs GT's.....
last Friday there were 7700 inside the gate at the game and another few 100 outside the fences

about $74/ticket 10th row behind home plate at Texas...
$150-350 at A&M regional. $100 was the lawn + booking fees.... Stupid pricey.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
and bigger fan base with Texas baseball fans. I was looking for tickets to the regional and they had a pop up to cast a vote for Melendez, so their marketing and social media engine dwarfs GT's.....
last Friday there were 7700 inside the gate at the game and another few 100 outside the fences

about $74/ticket 10th row behind home plate at Texas...
$150-350 at A&M regional. $100 was the lawn + booking fees.... Stupid pricey.
I get what you are saying about Texas being a much larger marketing animal than GT. Out of curiosity I looked up the voting panel for the award. Reading this I don't think the fact Texas has some sort of voting poll among their fans will carry much weight with the voting panel.

Golden Spikes Award voting body consisting of national baseball media, select professional baseball personnel and USA Baseball staff, and the previous winners of the award, totaling a group of more than 150 voters.

Based on this I think Parada may have a better chance than I first thought. I would think that Kevin's body of work would fare well with the baseball personnel and previous award winners. With the media types who knows. Parada has received a lot of national attention since the beginning of the year, perhaps moreso than Melendez whose hype really started later in the season when the homers started piling up. I'm hoping the baseball types will recognize the true worth of Kevin's achievements and tilt the vote in his favor.