Pandemic-related budget cuts

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know how labor laws apply to exempt salary workers on furlough. I found some info at https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fact-sheets/70-flsa-furloughs

The gist seems to be, if you work during your furlough day, you’re considered to be working and should be paid. I’m not sure how much the AA is expected to say “turn off your phone”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Short of turning in all technology. What would stop a coach from recruiting lol. Instead of a furlough why not take a salary cut....

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
The company can in no way encourage or expect workers on furlough to conduct work activities. They should communicate this clearly to avoid confusion and limit liability.

That being said, if the employee decides to ignore those directions and conduct work activities they have little leverage to pursue compensation from the company.

Most highly paid staff will probably ignore the furlough directions and continue to do work. Maybe reduced work but work will still happen. Given they are knowingly ignoring direction from their company they would not seek compensation.

Jmonty71

Banned
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...mplementing-furloughs/Pnh7EnP21G4Ahr9WOX7BRI/

Furloughs and budget cuts. Some pretty painful moves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This has to affect travel, as well. Do you think this will lead to the bigger schools to cancel the games with smaller schools. I mean, you're laying folks off, yet you are going to pay such and such school $500,00.00 to travel to play you. That doesn't make any sense to me. They should just cancel those games, if money is an issue.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
This has to affect travel, as well. Do you think this will lead to the bigger schools to cancel the games with smaller schools. I mean, you're laying folks off, yet you are going to pay such and such school $500,00.00 to travel to play you. That doesn't make any sense to me. They should just cancel those games, if money is an issue.
That seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan

That is unless playing the game and the $500k investment makes you more in revenue to offset the investment. I think the loss of revenue of canceling the game would be more painful then the $500k cost savings would help.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
This is an odd question, but I though the majority of coaching salaries was paid by the AA and not by the state. Wouldn't that change the equation? Am I wrong?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Yes, while you’re in a work status. When your company furloughs you, you are no longer on the 24/7 clock. Like I said before it’s not a problem until someone get aggrieved and and wants their pay for when they really weren’t furloughed.

It seems as if you are looking at this from a irrelevant perspective.

It has nothing to do with being furloughed or forced to work.

Coaches do not operate with that mindset. I remember being at a banquet at the old Atlanta Touchdown Club. A coach was drawing up plays, with countering moves, on the tablecloth.

They would do it regardless of pay, or lack thereof.

And nobody would be forcing them to do so.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I think most of our coaching staff would have no problem taking long weekends or a group of days off at one time to speed up the "16 day" quota. But, the same drive that they communicated to the team this spring will keep them grinding. The bowl game and playoff game bonus's will make up for the furlough days.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It seems as if you are looking at this from a irrelevant perspective.

It has nothing to do with being furloughed or forced to work.

Coaches do not operate with that mindset. I remember being at a banquet at the old Atlanta Touchdown Club. A coach was drawing up plays, with countering moves, on the tablecloth.

They would do it regardless of pay, or lack thereof.

And nobody would be forcing them to do so.
I’m not a lawyer but my company has been on the wrong end of lawsuits more than once from upper management skirting the rules. I’m very familiar with what is ok and what is not. GTAA will make choices on how they manage it. They will live with the potential consequences, maybe never get sued, but if they do the penalty is steep. They’re big boys, they know the rules.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Kind of shocked to see ticket revenue projected to be down 40%. I know it is off year with the pups, but that’s a huge drop.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Kind of shocked to see ticket revenue projected to be down 40%. I know it is off year with the pups, but that’s a huge drop.
Well, virus stuff was starting to hit about the same time most people were set to renew their tickets, and when new tickets would be sold. Plus, nobody has any idea if/how many fans will actually be able to attend games this year, which if limited to even 50% capacity, would basically eliminate any single game ticket sales.

LibertyTurns

Banned
They were really having a hard time selling tickets in January and in April I was able to upgrade plus pick up an additional seat. I have to admit it was concerning as I know we’ve got bigger expenses with the new strategy, etc and having a lot less revenue than expected is not a good thing. Now it may be way less than expected.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Fortunately the last payment on that was this past year. We currently have no buyouts being paid to former basketball coaches.

Did not know that! Thought we had refinanced Hewitt’s buy out to be lower payments forever.

my hope is we see increased contributions at least..

I probably won’t make the trip down for any games this year with my season tix but that money’s still going to the AA whether they’re played or not.