Pandemic-related budget cuts

slugboy

Staff member
Travel and recruiting budget was cut. Overall budget was cut 4%.
Ticket revenue expected to be down 40%.
Even the head coaches will have furlough days (16 unpaid days, from what I read).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There’s labor laws. That is illegal. Won’t happen.

So if CGC corresponds with a recruit, or talks to a reporter on his "furlough" day he is breaking the law?' If a player is injured in workouts and someone from the athletic department calls him, that is illegal?

My point is that the head coaches won't likely take an additional 16 days in which they do nothing related to their athletic team. I believe an NCAA head coach is almost always working. At the office, on the field, on the phone, on social media, on TV/radio, etc.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Dark and dreary days may lie ahead.
I heard confidence in Marvin Lewis' words.

Let's hope the projected budget is on target or better than.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So if CGC corresponds with a recruit, or talks to a reporter on his "furlough" day he is breaking the law?' If a player is injured in workouts and someone from the athletic department calls him, that is illegal?

My point is that the head coaches won't likely take an additional 16 days in which they do nothing related to their athletic team. I believe an NCAA head coach is almost always working. At the office, on the field, on the phone, on social media, on TV/radio, etc.
If you’re working you’re required to be paid- answer phone call, email, administer help, etc. Damages are normally 3x costs. Salary people working any part of the week are entitled to a full week’s pay. You obviously have not been responsible for compliance but it’s not anything to screw around with if you know what’s good for you. One whistleblower and you’re up the creek.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
There’s labor laws. That is illegal. Won’t happen.

Oh please. Coaches "work" every day and will for the most part continue to do so.

They aren't like the Hillnerds that think their stuff don't stink and they can scam the taxpayers with illegal credit card schemes.

Wonder what would happen if everyone here cut $5 from their weekly food budget and gave it to GTAA?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you’re working you’re required to be paid- answer phone call, email, administer help, etc. Damages are normally 3x costs. Salary people working any part of the week are entitled to a full week’s pay. You obviously have not been responsible for compliance but it’s not anything to screw around with if you know what’s good for you. One whistleblower and you’re up the creek.

I don't think the type of people who make the kind of $ our football coaches do have that kind of mindset. If you are the type who is out to "get yours" you typically aren't successful/get to the type of positions that these guys have based on my experiences. Most of them understand that they are professional, well paid and aren't the type to watch a clock.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

My thought isn't that the athletic department would require CGC to work. My thought is that he isn't going to just turn it off himself. He is responsible to wins. Is he going to ignore a request from a radio station to interview if that interview might help him with a recruit in that area who he believes will help him to win? He is responsible for 105 football players and many other coaches and student assistants. Is he going to ignore a phone call if any of those people have an emergency situation? Like @TheSilasSonRising said, head coaches are "working" pretty much all of the time whether they are "on the clock" or not. I don't see any of them ignoring an athlete in need whether their salary is reduced or not.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Oh please. Coaches "work" every day and will for the most part continue to do so.

They aren't like the Hillnerds that think their stuff don't stink and they can scam the taxpayers with illegal credit card schemes.

Wonder what would happen if everyone here cut $5 from their weekly food budget and gave it to GTAA?
Everything’s cool until it’s not. Just go ahead & test the waters, but don’t cry when the underperforming, non-team player, protected status whiner runs to the court and you’re on the wrong side of the law. You may not like the message and it absolutely does not matter UNTIL IT DOES and then you’re royally screwed.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think the type of people who make the kind of $ our football coaches do have that kind of mindset. If you are the type who is out to "get yours" you typically aren't successful/get to the type of positions that these guys have based on my experiences. Most of them understand that they are professional, well paid and aren't the type to watch a clock.
To push this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if they “re-code” it differently and it’s a voluntary unpaid leave. No laws of actually working those days, just no pay. It’s all the same on the +/- sheet, furlough is just a fancy term for forced unpaid leave. Publicly it’s easier to say furloughed but really high paid guys should have no problem helping the program out. Other common solutions are paid-time-off sharing. High paid guys give up their PTO and give it to the low paid guys so their days off aren’t unpaid.

I would think that would only be the case if they were being forced to work without pay. Many people bring their work home with them or work on weekends when they essentially are not getting paid, and there's nothing wrong with that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Tell that to my employer on federal holidays when I get a call at 6 am. Salary is salary and you work 365 days a year from what i know.
Yes, while you’re in a work status. When your company furloughs you, you are no longer on the 24/7 clock. Like I said before it’s not a problem until someone get aggrieved and and wants their pay for when they really weren’t furloughed.

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t know how labor laws apply to exempt salary workers on furlough. I found some info at https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fact-sheets/70-flsa-furloughs

The gist seems to be, if you work during your furlough day, you’re considered to be working and should be paid. I’m not sure how much the AA is expected to say “turn off your phone”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk