Pandemic Practices

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Well, Xavier Thomas is struggling with covid to the point of probably missing most the games if we even have them. It sounds like Clemson jacked around with protocols a few weeks ago when they had all the positives. I'm no expert but I'd say we're doing the right thing. This is an unprecedented time.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Is everyone else practicing like this? Seems like we are going to be completely unprepared to play if this is our main strategy. I haven’t been paying enough attention, but at some point you have to line up and play. Curious, but what is Clemson doing?

Geoff Collins 'micromanaging' Georgia Tech's efforts to stay infection-free

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...ay-infection-free/LIU25W6XLJAAFGT4YYWIIXLPC4/

(Via AJC)
I believe attrition will be the #1 decider of W vs L, if a season is played. With that being the case, even when we choose to look at this from a selfish fan perspective, I think it makes sense that this is priority #1.

I also recommend you watch the Thacker press conference, which is included in the GTCamp20 thread. Pads are going to go on, don't worry.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I believe attrition will be the #1 decider of W vs L, if a season is played. With that being the case, even when we choose to look at this from a selfish fan perspective, I think it makes sense that this is priority #1.

I also recommend you watch the Thacker press conference, which is included in the GTCamp20 thread. Pads are going to go on, don't worry.
If the season actually gets played in full, GT’s returning production is going to become even more of an advantage than it would in a normal year. With limited practice time, having the vast majority of your starters coming back will be huge when it comes to early season rust. Everyone will be rusty, and there probably won’t be many quality games played until the 3rd and 4th weeks of the year. Teams having to plug new guys in to spots all over the field will be much more likely to show signs of rust and growing pains early in the year. Keeping players healthy and out of quarantines is has to be priority #1 this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Is everyone else practicing like this? Seems like we are going to be completely unprepared to play if this is our main strategy. I haven’t been paying enough attention, but at some point you have to line up and play. Curious, but what is Clemson doing?

Geoff Collins 'micromanaging' Georgia Tech's efforts to stay infection-free

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...ay-infection-free/LIU25W6XLJAAFGT4YYWIIXLPC4/

(Via AJC)
@kg01 where's our Get-Back coach when we need him?

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This idea of playing the season appears to bother me more than a lot of folks. As responsible and vigilant as our team can be, they will only be as safe as the most careless staff person or player on the other team.

But the first thing I did after seeing the schedule was to yank the chain of a ‘Nole fan. Madness? Yep, but ‘it’s a fine madness.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well, Xavier Thomas is struggling with covid to the point of probably missing most the games if we even have them. It sounds like Clemson jacked around with protocols a few weeks ago when they had all the positives. I'm no expert but I'd say we're doing the right thing. This is an unprecedented time.
That’s an interesting take on the Thomas situation. The way I’ve read it is not that he’s struggling so much with the illness, but rather that the illness coupled with a case of strep throat after recovery has kept him from getting into football shape.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the attrition takes. Makes you wonder if Clemson knew what they were doing and were just trying to “get it out of the way”

Deleted member 2897

That’s an interesting take on the Thomas situation. The way I’ve read it is not that he’s struggling so much with the illness, but rather that the illness coupled with a case of strep throat after recovery has kept him from getting into football shape.

That’s correct - he had COVID last spring but has been free of it since then. He is 15 pounds overweight (bad weight/out of shape) and then just recently got strep throat and now he’s been out for a bit again - so he’s way out of shape apparently. He’s still playing, but they plan for him to stay under 4 games and redshirt unless he can get in shape.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

”Taking a toll” isn’t good any way you wanna read it or slice it.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Here is a link to the article...

Curious of everyone's opinion. A few of our players are concerned with the situation as well.

https://amp.thestate.com/sports/col...ticle244771767.html?__twitter_impression=true

Lots of people are having lingering symptoms. Was talking on another board about a study that looked at recovered symptomatic patients and showed that over half of them had persistent myocardial inflammation. While COVID-19 is lower risk in people of this age group, I would not be surprised that quite a large percentage of athletes have a significant durable, perhaps permanent, impact on their athletic careers. Obviously for Thomas he gets deconditioned, gains weight, and gets strep throat, so you really can't clearly say whether some subclinical inflammatory process or vascular or lung injury as a direct result of COVID-19 infection is at play here. If I were an athlete, I would absolutely be concerned that if I got COVID-19 it could end my career even if the illness itself was relatively mild. Of course, athletes always face things like that. Lots of people get injuries that cost careers. COVID-19 is scarier because the risk is more uncertain. The thing that will drive outcomes as far as people opting out, etc., will be how much people believe they can control their risk.

Obviously there are still going to be people who are reckless and feel they are invincible. But people who act that way shouldn't be taken as the norm, and anyone who has actual concern isn't going to be reassured by the dudes who blow off their expectations and expose everyone else to risk.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Here is a link to the article...

Curious of everyone's opinion. A few of our players are concerned with the situation as well.

https://amp.thestate.com/sports/col...ticle244771767.html?__twitter_impression=true
Nobody knows what any particular player’s actual health condition is. If they got concerns they should be taking appropriate measures. This keeps coming up. Is there anyone advocating anyone else, not just athletes, should behave inappropriately? I’ve not seen it.