Pair a bourbon to toast to 2020 signing class?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Stop being a twitter edge lord. It's not impressive. We are Jackets, we drink our whiskey and this post belongs here.

With that being said, Ive heard Pappy is just an expensive Buffalo Trace. I'd say a solid choice would be Bulleit Rye. Cant ever go wrong with Bulleit bourbons

Pappy and Buffalo Trace share the same mash bill. However, Pappy has the best seat in the rickhouse, and is aged quite a bit longer. The Weller 12 year sits next to the Pappy.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Pappy and Buffalo Trace share the same mash bill. However, Pappy has the best seat in the rickhouse, and is aged quite a bit longer. The Weller 12 year sits next to the Pappy.
Weller 12 is what's left after the VW family pick the Lot b barrels. Lot b is okay and Weller 12 is nothing to write home about. If you like sweet, Pappy 15 is better; if you like oakier, Pappy 20 is better. Pappy 23 is like sucking on the pop-cycle stick after eating the pop-cycle, and I like oaky bourbons.

Of the 6 expressions available, only the 15 yr. and 20 yr. are consistently very good. But, for $150 and $250, you could get so much better.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I changed my mind. I'm having an Old Forester Birthday Bourbon and then some New Riff Single Barrel. After that, I may have a couple of glasses of water. Always neat, slightly warmed by my hand.

You’re speaking my language my dude. I’m a bag fan of the whole OF line up but gotta say the 1920 edition is my go to right now. Need that 115° to get through this basketball season.

That birthday edition is some solid whiskey though. Well worth the $. I haven’t had or heard of New Riff single, so tell me more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You’re speaking my language my dude. I’m a bag fan of the whole OF line up but gotta say the 1920 edition is my go to right now. Need that 115° to get through this basketball season.

That birthday edition is some solid whiskey though. Well worth the $. I haven’t had or heard of New Riff single, so tell me more?

Well, New Riff is a new distillery in Newport, KY (across the river from Cincinnati). Ken Lewis used to own the Party Store, the largest liquor store in the US. He decided to start a distillary in 2014 and sold his store to his employees. He built his distillery next door to the store. Their schtick is "a new riff on an old tradition" or something like that. It's pretty good 5 year old product. A little grain forward, but they're getting better each year. They're a pretty good craft distillery, and well worth the try. Their rye is absolutely fantastic.

Someone else mentioned O. Z. Tyler in an earlier post...not a fan. They use the new process to try to age the bourbon called TerrePure. In my opinion, they totally lose the essence of barrel aging. There's just no replacement for the oxidation of the whiskey that comes for long-term exposure. They use ultrasonication to accelerate the movement of the whiskey into and out of the wood. The problem is there's no time for the oxidation. To each his/her own. I don't begrudge anyone's taste, but if you like O. Z. Tyler, then there's so much more out there you need to try.

I have two go-to recommendations for a $50-$60 bottle of bourbon. Old Forester 1920 and Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. They're both superb at that price point. However, if you like the 1920, try the 1910. It's 100 proof instead of 115, but it is a chocolate bomb and so tasty. I have found myself at the bottom of a 1910 bottle way too often lately.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well, New Riff is a new distillery in Newport, KY (across the river from Cincinnati). Ken Lewis used to own the Party Store, the largest liquor store in the US. He decided to start a distillary in 2014 and sold his store to his employees. He built his distillery next door to the store. Their schtick is "a new riff on an old tradition" or something like that. It's pretty good 5 year old product. A little grain forward, but they're getting better each year. They're a pretty good craft distillery, and well worth the try. Their rye is absolutely fantastic.

Someone else mentioned O. Z. Tyler in an earlier post...not a fan. They use the new process to try to age the bourbon called TerrePure. In my opinion, they totally lose the essence of barrel aging. There's just no replacement for the oxidation of the whiskey that comes for long-term exposure. They use ultrasonication to accelerate the movement of the whiskey into and out of the wood. The problem is there's no time for the oxidation. To each his/her own. I don't begrudge anyone's taste, but if you like O. Z. Tyler, then there's so much more out there you need to try.

I have two go-to recommendations for a $50-$60 bottle of bourbon. Old Forester 1920 and Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. They're both superb at that price point. However, if you like the 1920, try the 1910. It's 100 proof instead of 115, but it is a chocolate bomb and so tasty. I have found myself at the bottom of a 1910 bottle way too often lately.

The 1910 is indeed a great one too. I just was talking to a friend who tried to get 1920, couldn’t find it and came over to my house for a glass. He tried the 1910 and 1920 siege by side and preferred the 1910. Which was good, because he bought a bottle on the way home.

Interesting back story on New Riff, will be on the look out for them.

Also if people like Eagle Rare, they should definitely check out Pure Kentucky and Kentucky Vintage. Their label looks pretty downmarket but at $30ish a bottle it’s a strong set of contenders for Buffalo Trace