Pace of offense seems slow

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only only one who thinks we score more efficiently when we move at a much faster pace. This whole setting up plays at the top of the key maybe converted into 14-20 first shot points. We don't seem to have a guy that is willing to penetrate the defense. We pass the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds of the shot clock then take a bad shot. If nothing is there you have to make something happen with your skill, not scheme... this screams to me lack of true leader superstar talent. No one seems to be the go to guy that is willing to make an aggressive move other than Alvarado who gets in foul trouble frequently for his aggressive defensive ways.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes. To your point Wes and Cory during the Wake game mentioned that Pastner had revamped the offense post-UGA encouraging the players to take quicker shots. Take the first good look, don't wait until 20 seconds in the shot clock.

They did that very effectively against Wake. VT is a much better defensive team and did a much better job of forcing GT to take more time.

They are playing faster overall than they have the previous 2 seasons and I suspect as the players mature that trend will continue.

slugboy

Staff member
I think VT played fantastic defense, especially near the basket. There were a couple of tip-deflection-turnover-tip+pass-transition goal plays (have a hard time describing them) that were just lightning fast.
Our best option was outside shooting, it seemed to me. I wish our bigs could have leveraged their size more effectively.
We played with intensity, and you could see the effect on AD in the last few minutes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Am I the only only one who thinks we score more efficiently when we move at a much faster pace. This whole setting up plays at the top of the key maybe converted into 14-20 first shot points. We don't seem to have a guy that is willing to penetrate the defense. We pass the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds of the shot clock then take a bad shot. If nothing is there you have to make something happen with your skill, not scheme... this screams to me lack of true leader superstar talent. No one seems to be the go to guy that is willing to make an aggressive move other than Alvarado who gets in foul trouble frequently for his aggressive defensive ways.

He plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Alston has less chance to "just attack" than Jose does. He just doesn't have the quickness in his first step (or second). That was the issue at the end of the game against VT when he had an isolation at the top of the key. VT guy ate him up.

Jose will have some issues finishing for sure but he does have better (not great) ability to create than Alston - by far. FWIW I still think we need to look at more ball screens from Banks to help create driving lanes. It would also help Banks as he ain't great at holding his position on the block

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Alston has less chance to "just attack" than Jose does. He just doesn't have the quickness in his first step (or second). That was the issue at the end of the game against VT when he had an isolation at the top of the key. VT guy ate him up.

Jose will have some issues finishing for sure but he does have better (not great) ability to create than Alston - by far. FWIW I still think we need to look at more ball screens from Banks to help create driving lanes. It would also help Banks as he ain't great at holding his position on the block

Agreed 10000% on ball screens by banks. He can trail in for hopefully an easy layup.

I mean I was never the fastest player on the court. But I found a way to get into the paint as a guard. If I had to bully the guy and get chippy I would. I feel Alston is too.... let's say reserved as a player. We need a guy who doesn't necessarily play reckless, but isn't afraid to make a ton of contact going in the paint and get to the free throw line 8-10 times a night.

slugboy

Staff member
It was tough to get penetration to the basket at VT--they seemed to play a pretty tight defense. I think that's part of the reason we only scored 49 (same as our football game, ironically).