Over 2 years since we beat a ranked team...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Do you remember the aftermath of the 2011 Clemson game? I miss that feeling. Perhaps you felt that way after we beat Alabama A&M. That's your prerogative. I for one did not feel elation over A&M.

I am confident we will have big wins again this year. I am negative about the last two years, which I consider aberrations. I am positive about this year because we finally have no distractions. Being pollyanna and saying 2012/2013 were great years means you have lower standards than I do.

I am not "focusing" on the negatives. I think we can do better (and are doing so as a program). I was actually pointing out that we do not have Groh/Vad so we will not see our D sabotaged like in 2012, or our O like in 2013.

And yes, nearly three years is an eternity in college football.

Nobody said 2012/2013 were great years. Nobody said they were satisfied with those results. Just because someone chooses to see some good signs rather than focusing only on the negative of those years doesn't make them unrealistically optimistic (which is a regular use of pollyanna).

So, if your point really is that you have reason to be optimistic, why are you attacking a GT fan who is being optimistic by using stuff he didn't say? That makes no sense if your true point is, as you say, to focus on optimism for the upcoming season. It does make sense if your true point is, as you said before, to focus on what went wrong during the past two years, or if you're trolling.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys, wasn't trying to incite a riot and then run away. The first point I was trying to make is that based on on-field performance i.e., FBS W-L, Miami = UNC during the last 4 years.

I agree with everyone that says that beating Miami is better for perception. That was my second point, which unfortunately wasn't clear enough. Knowing that GT beats opponents of the same caliber (quality, not perception) gives me optimism and confidence that we'll beat those perceived tough opponents soon. When that time comes we can all bask in the social validation that comes with it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do you remember the aftermath of the 2011 Clemson game? I miss that feeling. Perhaps you felt that way after we beat Alabama A&M. That's your prerogative. I for one did not feel elation over A&M.

I am confident we will have big wins again this year. I am negative about the last two years, which I consider aberrations. I am positive about this year because we finally have no distractions. Being pollyanna and saying 2012/2013 were great years means you have lower standards than I do.

I am not "focusing" on the negatives. I think we can do better (and are doing so as a program). I was actually pointing out that we do not have Groh/Vad so we will not see our D sabotaged like in 2012, or our O like in 2013.

And yes, nearly three years is an eternity in college football.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
I only found one early top 25 poll with Miami in it and one with Duke in it. Here is one from Schlabach that seems to be more along the lines of all the other polls I've seen thus far. It includes three 2014 opponents. http://espn.go.com/college-football...ll-post-spring-way-too-early-preseason-top-25

How on earth is UGA ranked 8th and Florida 19th? I actually know the answer, just venting. Schlabach is no friend of GT.

Everyone knows this, but we must beat UGA on some type of regular basis. It's our lot...we have to accept it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sorry guys, wasn't trying to incite a riot and then run away. The first point I was trying to make is that based on on-field performance i.e., FBS W-L, Miami = UNC during the last 4 years.

I agree with everyone that says that beating Miami is better for perception. That was my second point, which unfortunately wasn't clear enough. Knowing that GT beats opponents of the same caliber (quality, not perception) gives me optimism and confidence that we'll beat those perceived tough opponents soon. When that time comes we can all bask in the social validation that comes with it.

Sorry for thinking you had a point.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
You nimwits. My post was POSITIVE. I see 2012/2013 as aberrations because of Groh/Vad not buying in. Only Tech fans could take an obviously positive post and spin it negative. Do you feel superior?

We should have beaten UGA, Miami, and VT last year AND 2 of those three the year before even WITH the dysfunction of Groh/Vad. Is that clear enough for you negative nancies?
I get your feeling but "if we should have beat uga,uM and vt ",we WOULD HAVE. We weren't good enough! Closees only counts in horseshoes,dancing and hand-grenade throwing.
Geez,2 of games at OUR home and the other,uM, really wasn't that close-they set a record I believe for avg yds per rush.
btw-Don't bet your kids college money on this yr either.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I get your feeling but "if we should have beat uga,uM and vt ",we WOULD HAVE. We weren't good enough! Closees only counts in horseshoes,dancing and hand-grenade throwing.

That's now how sports work. The better team doesn't always win and you know it. Not saying that's what happened here but it's not as black and white as you always try to make it.