Over 2 years since we beat a ranked team...

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
... But this is the year. We've seen incredible lucky breaks for Queen Beamer and Miami and UGA. It ends this year.

We warm up with three OOC games and then have VT. Tough game, but they've been lucky and we've been good. I for one would rather be good than lucky.

Then 2 weeks off until Miami. I hope we come out with something they've never seen before. They'll be coming off a trip to Nebraska for the 90s Bowl, and then a tough home outing against Duke. It's in OUR house. If I didn't live across the country I'd be there!

We also get 2 weeks before UGA.

Time to tip the balance.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
I sincerely doubt either is top 25 when we play them.

I'd say Duke (cause they have a cake sched, Clemson, and UGag will be ranked when we play them.

We'll beat Duke, of course, and end the winless streak there.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I sincerely doubt either is top 25 when we play them.

I'd say Duke (cause they have a cake sched, Clemson, and UGag will be ranked when we play them.

We'll beat Duke, of course, and end the winless streak there.
Duke has Miami before us. If they lose that one, they won't be ranked, either.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
If duke loses to miami they'll still be 4-1. The 4-0 start against no one could get them high enough to not drop out with one loss.

Miami could be 3-2 or 2-3 coming into our game. That won't merit a ranking.

VT will be 2-1 and they'll have started the season outside of the top 25.

We only played two ranked teams last year anyway so its not like losing tow ranked teams is our problem.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
My point, knox, was not that beating ranked teams is/was a problem, it's that it's been a long, long time since we had a win we felt elated over. That was Clemson 2011.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Tough to please? Beating 2 FCS programs and the 4 NC schools ain't GT football, least as long as I've known it. We usually always beat one quality opponent a year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Is Miami a quality opponent? Here's their record vs. FBS the last 4 years.
2010 6-6
2011 5-6
2012 6-5
2013 8-4

On the flip side, we consistently beat UNC. Here's their record vs. FBS the last 4 years.
2010 7-5
2011 6-6
2012 7-4
2013 6-6

Now can someone explain why beating Miami is more important/impressive than UNC (other than the name on their jersey)? I quote record vs. FBS because that seems to be in vogue for GT, and we're strikingly similar to one of the proverbial big 4 while playing a similar schedule.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Perception. Miami is consistently ranked in prestige terms with FSU, VT, and Clemson. Changing perceptions is often more important than changing realities in today's media environment.

I'd like to see us become a 2-2 program vs VT, Miami, Clemson, and UGA. UNC... meh.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Is Miami a quality opponent? Here's their record vs. FBS the last 4 years.
2010 6-6
2011 5-6
2012 6-5
2013 8-4

On the flip side, we consistently beat UNC. Here's their record vs. FBS the last 4 years.
2010 7-5
2011 6-6
2012 7-4
2013 6-6

Now can someone explain why beating Miami is more important/impressive than UNC (other than the name on their jersey)? I quote record vs. FBS because that seems to be in vogue for GT, and we're strikingly similar to one of the proverbial big 4 while playing a similar schedule.

I think you have to keep in mind that for the OP, 2011 was a long, long time ago:
My point, knox, was not that beating ranked teams is/was a problem, it's that it's been a long, long time since we had a win we felt elated over. That was Clemson 2011.

In 2009, we beat #5 VPI, and in 2011 we beat #5 CU. Our D has been below ave since 2008, and our O has not been top 15 the last couple years, making it hard to beat the better teams.

However, our O has been consistently very good, if not great, every year. I reckon our O has been better the last few years than it was in 2008. It seems people forget how clutch our D, especially our NFL DL, was for us in 2008.

I'm not saying we should be satisfied w/7 win seasons, but we should enjoy teams that take tough competition into overtime more, rather than acting like they were getting blown out in every loss.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
You nimwits. My post was POSITIVE. I see 2012/2013 as aberrations because of Groh/Vad not buying in. Only Tech fans could take an obviously positive post and spin it negative. Do you feel superior?

We should have beaten UGA, Miami, and VT last year AND 2 of those three the year before even WITH the dysfunction of Groh/Vad. Is that clear enough for you negative nancies?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Historically, Miami is a much better program. Miami has had a few down years but they are typically a good team.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You nimwits. My post was POSITIVE. I see 2012/2013 as aberrations because of Groh/Vad not buying in. Only Tech fans could take an obviously positive post and spin it negative. Do you feel superior?

We should have beaten UGA, Miami, and VT last year AND 2 of those three the year before even WITH the dysfunction of Groh/Vad. Is that clear enough for you negative nancies?

Dude, I think the problem you're having is that we're not all nimwits. After your first post, you posted this:

So, by saying that your point is that we haven't had a win that we "felt elated over" for a "long, long time," you are saying that your point was NOT that you think we can do it this year. The point of your post in your own words was negative.

Tough to please? Beating 2 FCS programs and the 4 NC schools ain't GT football, least as long as I've known it. We usually always beat one quality opponent a year.

You posted this in response to me when I thought that I was agreeing with you in being positive. This post also makes clear that your point was negative, what we have failed to do.

Then, in response to a positive post that by beating UNC over the last few years, we've actually beat a team whose had a better record against FBS teams, you post this:

Perception. Miami is consistently ranked in prestige terms with FSU, VT, and Clemson. Changing perceptions is often more important than changing realities in today's media environment.

I'd like to see us become a 2-2 program vs VT, Miami, Clemson, and UGA. UNC... meh.

Once again, you focus on the negative. When the people you call nimwits are actually being more positive about the program than you, calling them negative nancies doesn't seem very bright to me. That's just my opinion.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you remember the aftermath of the 2011 Clemson game? I miss that feeling. Perhaps you felt that way after we beat Alabama A&M. That's your prerogative. I for one did not feel elation over A&M.

I am confident we will have big wins again this year. I am negative about the last two years, which I consider aberrations. I am positive about this year because we finally have no distractions. Being pollyanna and saying 2012/2013 were great years means you have lower standards than I do.

I am not "focusing" on the negatives. I think we can do better (and are doing so as a program). I was actually pointing out that we do not have Groh/Vad so we will not see our D sabotaged like in 2012, or our O like in 2013.

And yes, nearly three years is an eternity in college football.