Outside expectations change for Tech

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Take a deep breath and look at this. Every team wants to win - a lot. And every team is working to get better in the off season. It has been very hard for us to stay at a high level for the last 70 years.........
rofvkhdh31zhhov6g.jpg

Dodd's best years were his 7th - 12th. Hopefully, just like CPJ's will be.

/

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I'm more interested who were the older guys Keshun talked to
I knew some of the guys that were transition players between Bill Curry and Bobby Ross. You would be stunned to know how bad their attitude was as Ross was laying the groundwork for our Fourth National Championship. In short, they simply refused to play for him (Ross). And these were very good football players.

It bothers me to hear what KF heard from the former player(s) but having heard it myself, I guess its just one of those things.

Just goes to show how one's attitude and self-perception can spell the difference between doing something no one will remember to doing something no one will forget.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I love that these guys have bought in. I love that they are aiming high at a NC. I think we are positioned for a run at a title better than any other time in my life. And being positioned is what it is all about. That's what mutt fans, and many others (Tech basketball fans during Cremins) sometimes never figure out. Being elite does not, usually does not, equate to a national championship. Breaks / good fortune are also required along the run. Elite teams are just better able to withstand bad breaks and are better able to take advantage of good fortune. What is really important is maintaining your will when adversity strikes.
Having bloviated all of that....I love our coach, staff, and team. Couldn't be prouder. Go Jackets!!

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Before I came in, I talked to some older players who were on some of the teams that weren’t really winning, and so I was like, ‘We’re going to do some great things at Georgia Tech,’” defensive endKeShun Freeman said. “One of the guys was like, ‘I don’t know. You have to work hard because you’re at Georgia Tech and we haven’t been doing our best lately.’ I was like, ‘Whatever. I’m coming in with the mentality that we’re going to be winners. We’re not going to settle for anything like that.’

“After we started winning, that guy came back to me and said, ‘I know what you’re saying now you guys are rocking, keep fighting.’ The whole mentality at Georgia Tech changed.”

Because of the tenses in the bolded parts I am reading this as while Keshun was still a recruit even if committed to sign with GT that some guy on the team actually did some accidental negative recruiting by being pessimistic about the program. So this speaks really well to Keshun and makes him an instant favorite. I mean look at his offer sheet: Arkansas; Clemson; Miami; UNC; Stanford; all the "smart" schools, etc. He committed and wanted to do great things at Tech even after getting to hear a Tech player downplay expectations. Then he comes in and becomes a Freshman All-American. Now that older and former Tech player comes around and Keshun says his entire mindset about the program changed seeing what everyone did last year.

The psychology of the individuals in a team sport is such a big factor in team success. "Mind rite" is a necessity. Keshun is a winner.
This.

What folks forget about, when they say things like "there is no i in team", etc. is that there very, emphatically, much IS a place for individual effort on any team. What is a team if not a group of individuals?

What makes the difference, to me anyway, is who you are putting that individual effort out for. A future agent? Your hordes of followers on Twitter? All those young ladies hanging on your every word? Or for your family? For your brothers, for your teammates?

If one A-back lays out a block that springs the other, the one that got the yards knows it was the individual effort of the blocking back that sprung him. With the quality of the young men we have on this team, you can be sure he thanked him and will do the same in return.

Our team works because that recognition matters more to our guys than the pseudofame of social media, etc.

Redmule -- please let 4shot hold a couple bottles out of your royalty payment for pain control. That's gonna be a major tat and he's gonna need it. ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This.

What folks forget about, when they say things like "there is no i in team", etc. is that there very, emphatically, much IS a place for individual effort on any team. What is a team if not a group of individuals?

What makes the difference, to me anyway, is who you are putting that individual effort out for. A future agent? Your hordes of followers on Twitter? All those young ladies hanging on your every word? Or for your family? For your brothers, for your teammates?

If one A-back lays out a block that springs the other, the one that got the yards knows it was the individual effort of the blocking back that sprung him. With the quality of the young men we have on this team, you can be sure he thanked him and will do the same in return.

Our team works because that recognition matters more to our guys than the pseudofame of social media, etc.

Redmule -- please let 4shot hold a couple bottles out of your royalty payment for pain control. That's gonna be a major tat and he's gonna need it. ;)
In the highlight film of Shaq I noticed how many time another player came over afterward and slapped his shoulder or helmet or bumped face masks with him. Tech players certainly knew who to thank for their success.