Out of conference wish list

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Central Florida, for short vacation and game; Auburn has always been a good rivalry; Tennessee has been a good rivalry in the past since Bobby Dodd was an All-American there two years in a row and Gatliburg is not far from there (short Mountain Vacation).; South Carolina is good trip because of the distance. We already have Boston for history, and Louisville for another short vacation trip.The teams mentioned a long ways from Tech would not benefit most of the fans because of cost for airfare (the trip there and back would eat up most of the time for short vacations).

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I enjoyed the Auburn games so id say them and ND for sure. That last matchup against them I will never forget. But an unrealistic matchup that I would like to see would be against TA&M. That stadium and atmosphere would be awesome to experience in person.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Lord above, you guys are gluttons for punishment! As if our present ACC schedule isn't bad enough, some of you want to add some of the best programs in the country.

I've always been of the Johnny Vaught school myself: 9 patsies and Bama was how he got Ole Miss its two NCs. My out of conference would be - oh, I don't know - Cincy, Kansas, Colorado State, maybe Vandy or the Good Dogs (MSU). Let's keep it reasonable.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Lord above, you guys are gluttons for punishment! As if our present ACC schedule isn't bad enough, some of you want to add some of the best programs in the country.

I've always been of the Johnny Vaught school myself: 9 patsies and Bama was how he got Ole Miss its two NCs. My out of conference would be - oh, I don't know - Cincy, Kansas, Colorado State, maybe Vandy or the Good Dogs (MSU). Let's keep it reasonable.

Only 2 or 3 tough ACC games per year (. ND not acc football member)

Depends if you want big time football at GT or not

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm a fan of competitive OOC games even if it means we might lose. I liked the BYU games even though they kicked our butts both times.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm a fan of competitive OOC games even if it means we might lose. I liked the BYU games even though they kicked our butts both times.
Here's where we differ. I want to win the conference, every year. That means I'm in favor of less challenging ooc games; less wear and tear and more confidence for the big games. I might also add that this translates into more wins —> more national recognition —> a chance at better recruiting —> big time football at Tech. It's the wins that start the whole process, imho.

Hope we can begin that experiment next year.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's where we differ. I want to win the conference, every year. That means I'm in favor of less challenging ooc games; less wear and tear and more confidence for the big games. I might also add that this translates into more wins —> more national recognition —> a chance at better recruiting —> big time football at Tech. It's the wins that start the whole process, imho.

Hope we can begin that experiment next year.
Both of these are good points by both you guys.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I love how some guys say we only have 2 or 3 tough ACC games a year out of one side of their mouth and then say we're middle of the pack ACC out of the other. You can't have it both ways. If we are truly "middle of the pack", then why are all the games against other middle of the pack teams supposedly gimmies?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
South Carolina...seems like a logical choice to me.
Auburn...we have some good history with them.
Penn State

I would love to play Auburn. South Carolina, yeah that'd be interesting. Penn State, meh.

I like to see us add Georgia State and have them UGA and Georgia Southern on a regular basis.

Animal02

Banned

The trick is "competitive" games. With OCC games being scheduled 10+ years in advance......who the hell knows how competitive a given opponent will be. Lets say back in '97 Tech said "we want to play the great teams" So they sign up with Michigan (that just when 12-0 and ranked #!) for a home and home 10 years out....2008, 2009.....and we end up playing a 3-9 and 5-7 team. People would be whining about our "soft OCC schedule"