Our unsung hero

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Harrison Butker.
How long has it been since we have consistently watched kickoffs leave the endzone.

He kicked one into the stands on Saturday.
He kicked another one that hit the cross bar.

I have been a Tech fan for 35 years and cannot recall having a kicker who had that kind of leg on the kickoff.
Can anyone else?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
This also has to do with moving the ball up..but the kid has a leg.

To be honest I've be disappointed with his kicking somewhat this year...I expected him to be one of the top few in the nation in field goals...hopefully he plays good the rest of the year.

He's had two misses that shocked me.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Harrison Butker.
How long has it been since we have consistently watched kickoffs leave the endzone.

He kicked one into the stands on Saturday.
He kicked another one that hit the cross bar.

I have been a Tech fan for 35 years and cannot recall having a kicker who had that kind of leg on the kickoff.
Can anyone else?

Luke Manget in the late 90s

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan

To be honest I've be disappointed with his kicking somewhat this year...I expected him to be one of the top few in the nation in field goals...hopefully he plays good the rest of the year.

Yeah, he's missed some close ones, but he also nailed a 40something yarder against Tulane (his most recent attempt IIRC). Hopefully the misses were outliers.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow

I think that will get better. But it is nice to not have to worry about a run back in the kickoff given our coverage issues and tackling problems.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Luke Manget in the late 90s

Here's some useless trivia and perhaps there are some "degrees of separation" here but Luke Manget's dad was a very good soccer player. Butker, had he not gone to a private school, would have gone to the same high school as Manget's dad.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Both FG Butker missed were from the left hash, a little close (harder angle from shorter distance). He was lined up improperly both times. The kicks were true and plenty long, just stayed a little left. This issue is correctable with a very simple realignment. I doubt we have the issue again. I'm very happy with Butker.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both FG Butker missed were from the left hash, a little close (harder angle from shorter distance). He was lined up improperly both times. The kicks were true and plenty long, just stayed a little left. This issue is correctable with a very simple realignment. I doubt we have the issue again. I'm very happy with Butker.
Maybe I am crazy but I think you mean right hash and missed right correct? Or are you looking at it from the perspective of behind the goal posts?

Those misses were inexplicable. Kickers are similar to golfers. Sometimes you just lose all confidence. Hope he can work through it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The camera angle on TV was from behind the uprights and the from that angle, we were on the right hash mark. So, from the offensive side of the ball, we were on the left hash mark. Both misses were almost identical, about 3 feet to the left of the upright (to the right on TV). Now you've got me questioning myself. But I'll swear both were left hash and missed wide left. I'll have to go back and look.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
"There's the toot of the whistle. E. O. Wheeler forward! Listen to the fans!"

"E OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Too bad Butker doesn't have a name that lends itself to chants.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I went back and looked at both games. The Wofford miss was on the right hash and stayed right (straight kick, just aligned wrong), and the Tulane miss was from the left hash and stayed left (straight kick, just aligned wrong). Again, both correctable. He struck the ball cleanly and kicked it straight, he just needs to adjust his aim. It wasn't like he's got a hook or a slice to contend with. Plenty of leg. When he's in the center of the field, he's money.