Our stadium

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
We all know that Georgia Tech football struggles with revenue. Before Covid hit, we replaced our grass field with artificial turf, added new lights, and sound system. Two big concerts were scheduled, but those events got cancelled due to Covid. Since then there has been nothing and Mercedes Benz Stadium has had multiple concerts and other events. We have a deal with MBS to play one football game a year there and I believe it goes for 4 more years. I suspect we will continue with the MBS deal after it expires. That leaves just 5 events per year in a stadium that we have to maintain. I love our stadium, but we really need some other revenue streams from other uses. So, are we spending our money wisely on a stadium that is used part time?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Recently MBS was named as a sight for the World Cup in 2026. A requirement is that natural grass of the highest standard be used. An article in the AJC stated that for MONTHS leading up to the games, no events can held held there so the grass can take root. So we will be the prime location during that time.
College stadiums are used for games and graduation. Has been that way for decades.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We all know that Georgia Tech football struggles with revenue. Before Covid hit, we replaced our grass field with artificial turf, added new lights, and sound system. Two big concerts were scheduled, but those events got cancelled due to Covid. Since then there has been nothing and Mercedes Benz Stadium has had multiple concerts and other events. We have a deal with MBS to play one football game a year there and I believe it goes for 4 more years. I suspect we will continue with the MBS deal after it expires. That leaves just 5 events per year in a stadium that we have to maintain. I love our stadium, but we really need some other revenue streams from other uses. So, are we spending our money wisely on a stadium that is used part time?
The fan experience is rapidly changing and universities across the country are upgrading "in line with what we’re seeing at new modern facilities across the country, both new construction and renovations across the SEC and college football and the NFL.” [This from Tennessee's AD announcing a renovation of 100 year old Neyland Stadium to include new lounge areas and party decks.]

I read the architectural brief on Truist Park and it mentions the modern need for clear nightlines from the concourses, flatscreen viewing areas, and dining and lounge options. In short, fans want something different today vs. just going to a game, a band at half-time, and a sound system.

Given the new Edge, I can't imagine a scenario of Tech NOT playing on campus. But BDS needs a major refresh. And I can't imagine where the money is going to come from.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Recently MBS was named as a sight for the World Cup in 2026. A requirement is that natural grass of the highest standard be used. An article in the AJC stated that for MONTHS leading up to the games, no events can held held there so the grass can take root. So we will be the prime location during that time.
College stadiums are used for games and graduation. Has been that way for decades.
It would be great to have Atlanta United play games at Bobby Dodd again. The atmosphere at those games were incredible

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Other schools have their graduations at Tech but I’ve never looked up how many it is or what the revenue stream for that looks like.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
BDS@HGF is the oldest operating stadium in FBS. We don't have the luxury of tearing it down or kicking it to the curb.

Look to the Cubs at how to update historic stadium. Not the Yankees.
Yes, we could have had the Wriggle Field of college football, but we messed that up.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
BDS@HGF is the oldest operating stadium in FBS. We don't have the luxury of tearing it down or kicking it to the curb.

Look to the Cubs at how to update historic stadium. Not the Yankees.
Remove the Upper North and allow the new Edge Center some more room for Expansion that way. Remove Bleachers, add in MBS Style fold down seats. Put the Band in the South Endzone. Student section only in lower north. Reduce Capacity to 42-45,000 range. Games will look more full and still be good environments without needing 20,000 opposing fans.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Add a food/beverage area in one of the end zones with standup tables and bar area facing the field. Add rail backs in the seating areas (stinger seats no longer needed).

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Add a food/beverage area in one of the end zones with standup tables and bar area facing the field. Add rail backs in the seating areas (stinger seats no longer needed).

We need to remove the golds seats and stinger seats anywhere, add a huge doner lounge somewhere. Gold seats just look horrible because they are behind the TV camera angle and never full. And stinger seats rarely get actually used and just create clutter.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No--win more games and build up the fanbase and culture.
Alabama recently sent its architects to Auburn to study the Auburn basketball arena as Bama is planning to build a new one. (They are going to essentially copy the Auburn Neville Arena which is kind of hilarious.)

Why? Auburn has an excellent basketball arena but it was consciously built as a 9,000 seat arena. The trend is towards smaller, more fan friendly venues. I would rather have a high quality 35,000 BDS that is super fan friendly than a 60,000 stadium that we can't fill.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I would be willing to see the upper north stands replaced with games for kids, a bar, and maybe even a pool with a water slide. The football purist in me says this is a terrible idea but we probably need to focus on the folks that view football as “meh”. Make it an experience where the “meh” football fans could be swayed into coming to BDS. The football purists will come anyway, assuming the frills don’t distract from the game. There are so many recreational options in Atlanta and only the die hard fans are into cooking in the noonday sun at BDS.

Nothing beats W’s but a festive atmosphere at BDS would come in a close second.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would be willing to see the upper north stands replaced with games for kids, a bar, and maybe even a pool with a water slide. The football purist in me says this is a terrible idea but we probably need to focus on the folks that view football as “meh”. Make it an experience where the “meh” football fans could be swayed into coming to BDS. The football purists will come anyway, assuming the frills don’t distract from the game. There are so many recreational options in Atlanta and only the die hard fans are into cooking in the noonday sun at BDS.

Nothing beats W’s but a festive atmosphere at BDS would come in a close second.
Whenever anyone I talk to brings up Truist Park, they inevitably bring up the Battery. And their eyes light up.

Tear down the Wardlaw Center and replace it with North Ave facing bars and restaurants that have a field view. You should be able to have a beer, a brat and see the game. The rest of the stadium needs a massive refresh, particularly the suites. In fact, the biggest problem with BDS is not enough suites to sell. That's revenue lost.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No--win more games and build up the fanbase and culture.
I know it isn't about me, but personally all I want in a stadium is a seat from which I can get a good view of the game (the upper east can't be beat), a place where I can get a hot dog and a beer (check), and a pot to piss in (check). Other than that, all I need is a winning team on the field. BDS@HGF checks all those boxes but one.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Whenever anyone I talk to brings up Truist Park, they inevitably bring up the Battery. And their eyes light up.

Tear down the Wardlaw Center and replace it with North Ave facing bars and restaurants that have a field view. You should be able to have a beer, a brat and see the game. The rest of the stadium needs a massive refresh, particularly the suites. In fact, the biggest problem with BDS is not enough suites to sell. That's revenue lost.
In retrospect, it seems like we should’ve done these things 20 years ago. Chan had just started and Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas were on the horizon. It seems like it would’ve been a good time to raise money and make changes. I think raising money right now will be much more difficult. I’m concerned that in 20 years we will be lamenting the opportunities missed to save Tech football.