1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Our society is in shambles

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by Milwaukee, Jul 30, 2018.

1. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Two comments.....
    (1) first, the questions often asked by MSM "reporters" is so often in the "gotcha" category that it is disgusting. It is rarely 'reasonable people from either side discussing nuances" as you say. It is exactly the same motivation, except to get viewers instead of clicks. And the behavior is equally disgusting;
    (2) as far as left wing violence goes, if it is there, it is something that *should* be reported and outed (on either side of the political spectrum). Folks who behave intolerantly on social media imho ought to be "outed" and embarrassed for their behavior on both sides of the aisle. It seemed OK when the left used this tactic on some right wing fanatics after Charlottesville...again, I just want equality of behavior. If it is OK for one side, it is OK for both. And if it is an outrage for one side, it should be an outrage for both.

2. Lotta Juice

Lotta Juice Helluva Engineer

And that was the point I was trying to make. The MSM is part of the media. If they put up a show that's reasonable discussions of 2 sides it's likely not going to get good ratings. Instead you can switch to Fox/CNN and get all amped up on how bad the other side is. What did the Dems do today to RUIN AMERICA???? What are the Awful Republicans doing to continue being EVIL?? It all plays on emotions. That's what gets the attention.

I don't necessarily disagree. But you're not seeing anyone posting in the Lounge lamenting how many death threats AOC gets on a daily basis.

3. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

On AOC, its because its not in the news. If you find one, feel free to post it, and we'll all roundly condemn it.

On Fox and CNN (and most of the rest), you're exactly right. The media is ridiculously pathetic. I'm a conservative minded person, and I can't stand 90% of FoxNews. If I want to hear a shrill 1-sided story out of someone's butt, I'll call my alcoholic grandfather with dementia who wears unwashed Trump t-shirts.

4. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

Hey, We gotta care for our oldsters....You should help him out with the laundry!

bwelbo likes this.
  5. Lotta Juice

Lotta Juice Helluva Engineer

Is this Kaitlin girl in the news for this? I guess it depends on what sites you're paying attention to. She's tweeting about at least in part because it benefits her "brand" and then it gets amplified with comments of "the bigoted left at it again". I just don't see how it's an example of "Society in Shambles"...but maybe I'm just jaded. And have spent too much time already posting about it so I'll leave it at that

6. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

upload_2020-2-18_14-26-19.jpeg

7. armeck

armeck Ramblin' Wreck

8. ramblinwreckguru

ramblinwreckguru Helluva Engineer

9. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

July, July, and August. We already covered that stuff long ago. If you ever run across anything recent, feel free to post it, and we'll all roundly condemn it again.

Surely if she gets death threats on a daily basis, you can find something from inside the last 6 months.

10. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

The latest craze from the tide pod eating ghost riding the whip crew:

11. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

bwelbo likes this.
  12. armeck

armeck Ramblin' Wreck

I have no idea if this is true or not, honestly, I'm not much of a fan of her or the "Squad". That said, the Daily Mail is absolutely not regarded as real journalism. The National Enquirer has a better reputation. Even reading the top bullet points highlights an issue. The Mail claims to "confirm" the claim, when they are actually confirming that someone is making the claim. They provide nor mention any supporting documents at all. The article is junk, even if this claim ultimately is proven true - but this ain't proof.

You should really just avoid that "source" all together.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ly-mail-website-microsoft-browser-warns-users
    https://www.theguardian.com/technol...s-daily-mail-as-unreliable-source-for-website

13. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Remember when the National Enquirer was just a bunch of 'baby born with 5 heads' and 'man breaks records by weighing 10,000 pounds'. And then randomly one day they actually started covering a couple real stories. So weird.

14. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

While I don’t disagree with you about the DailyMail, I would give you the same caveat about The Guardian

15. armeck

armeck Ramblin' Wreck

And TMZ every now and then...

16. Technut1990

Technut1990 Helluva Engineer

The fact is that all sources are bias, they aren’t into reporting facts they are into enflaming their chosen audience. Because the real game is about them making money.

Police misconduct, crooked politicians and the impending tornado get attention and most folks see life in that manner, as a news flash.

I’m a Trump guy, for many reasons unrelated to trump but the recent water policy on California is covered in flashes. Conservative outlets tell us that California farmers will be able to feed the world now that they can water their fields as liberal outlets decry the conditions of the Pacific Ocean without freshwater intake. It’s all presented in life or death starkness. But nobody tells us that The Colorado River doesn’t make it to any ocean anymore, does that matter ?

It’s the equivalent of siblings telling on each other in hopes that the other’s punishment benefits themselves. Nothing is reported as plain non interpreted fact.

Russia meddling alone use to be enough for all of us to join together now its reported with the viewpoint of which side supports it.

Our media has done more damage to our country and enrage partisan divide than any other singular entity. Freedom of the press was intended to be a check on governance not a means to put a check in broadcast corporations coffers.

I gotta go now, the local news is talking about weather. Back in the 60’s were people warned in bulletin format about what happens when water falls into a mass of cold air ? Uh it snows right ? Or that if it drops below 32 water on the road freezes. It’s like warning people that drinking causes you to pee ! And it’s all done with the fake premise that it’s to benefit us. No it’s done to get viewership that’s all.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  17. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

Apparently a member of Omar's Minneapolis community has said she married her brother and named a Christian minister (female) who married them. WOW!!! That minister refuses to comment. I have no idea what the source of that information is, but I would assume it could be checked pretty easily.

18. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Well marriage is whatever people say it is now, so go away. :D

19. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

I'm not going to defend the daily mail but the Omar issue was well proven already (that the MSM won't cover) when the brother/husband posted a pic on instagram with Omar's newborn baby celebrating his new niece. (the marriege docs are a matter of publc record)

20. armeck

armeck Ramblin' Wreck

I've not seen (nor have you) anything proven. A lot has been alleged, but I have yet to see and real evidence provided. Until then, this is just a gossipy nasty story. Again, I feel like at this point I need to reiterate - I don't like her.