Our offense

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
Main problem I have is our blocking. That is the main issue and it showed Friday. Don't have depth. Very young and thin. Still think we need to use shotgun it'll help JT more. Do y'all agree that the shotgun would be better from a blocking standpoint

thwgjacket

Well it gives the QB more time imo
Maybe more time to read the coverage in passing but not necessarily with blocking. The WR's still need time to run their routes. Whether he is standing there or dropping back WR's still need time given by the OL. I think people just assume the offense has more time in the shotgun, I think an argument could be made that giving the WR's time to run their routes is a huge part of what the OL does. Unless we're just going to throw slants all day, but this isn't Madden.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, Vad had a higher completion percentage from under center last year than he did in the gun.

Of course he did. It's because we were throwing on 1st and 2nd down and in obvious running situations under center. We were in the pistol formation a majority of the time in obvious passing situations and 3rd and long situations.

But the formation is basically irrelevant. If we can't block it doesn't matter if our QB is under center or in the shotgun.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Of course he did. It's because we were throwing on 1st and 2nd down and in obvious running situations under center. We were in the pistol formation a majority of the time in obvious passing situations and 3rd and long situations.

But the formation is basically irrelevant. If we can't block it doesn't matter if our QB is under center or in the shotgun.
I agree with Cobb here. That stat about higher percentage under center vs shotgun is really a non stat in terms of value. We weren't in shotgun very often on running downs. For the entirety of CPJ's tenure the trend is that we make most of our hay throwing out of option looking play action. On 3rd and 10 the defense isn't biting and the safeties are lined up deeper. I also agree that it doesn't matter the formation if there is no time.

IMHO the vast majority of time we are throwing, we need to stay with the wide splits and the 3 point stance in order to keep the defense respecting run. A QB doesn't need a lot of time to float a go route down the hash (or a wheel route) when the safeties have already crashed the run. It is almost like a screen pass timing wise. However, when everybody in the stadium knows we are throwing (you know the scenarios) a move to narrow splits and 2 point would be helpful. The D won't be biting on option play action anyway so why not.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I agree with Cobb here. That stat about higher percentage under center vs shotgun is really a non stat in terms of value. We weren't in shotgun very often on running downs. For the entirety of CPJ's tenure the trend is that we make most of our hay throwing out of option looking play action. On 3rd and 10 the defense isn't biting and the safeties are lined up deeper. I also agree that it doesn't matter the formation if there is no time.

IMHO the vast majority of time we are throwing, we need to stay with the wide splits and the 3 point stance in order to keep the defense respecting run. A QB doesn't need a lot of time to float a go route down the hash (or a wheel route) when the safeties have already crashed the run. It is almost like a screen pass timing wise. However, when everybody in the stadium knows we are throwing (you know the scenarios) a move to narrow splits and 2 point would be helpful. The D won't be biting on option play action anyway so why not.
Solid post