Our Offense

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Food for thought. Based on these numbers alone, whose offensive system would you rather run?
On those two conditions, gt.

Further, when its working its a awesome to watch. To see all the team work=blocking in space, fakes, motion, lateraling and open field blocking as it builds towards a successful play, makes your emotions build with each part of the play. Even if play is not successful you see other options that coach could call. You become closely identified with the offense .
I like it a lot.

If I could pick out side of acc and it had to be about NEXT DECADE's numbers generated by lessor talent, i would go with the recent Baylor offense system . It has changed from a wide open passing into a running as well as passing offense. (Holding is legal, how long before cut blocking made illegal, all power and knowledge of our offense in one coached head).

Would I change now or before end of next year?- hxxx no.!. We have great group of kids. More of the recruits are coming to gt in a playing field ready condition.
I hope we can widen net and raise the bar for recruiting , especially defense.

I choose gt, no matter what offense.

acedarney

Georgia Tech Fan
Some more -
"Since 2008, Tech has had nine league games in which it has averaged 8.0 yards per play or more. To put that into context, as powerful as Clemson’s offense was last year, its best single-game average was 7.8.

The nine-game total is tied with FSU for the most in the ACC. In fact, only seven teams have any games at 8.0 or better.
8.0 yards-per-play against ACC opponents games since 2008
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami
North Carolina
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

On the other hand, Tech has had three ACC games when held to 4.0 yards or less – Clemson and Boston College this season, Duke last year and Miami in 2011. It’s tied with Miami for second fewest in the ACC, behind FSU with two. (I didn’t include Maryland, Louisville, Syracuse or Pittsburgh.)
4.0 yards per play or less against ACC opponents
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
North Carolina
Virginia
Duke
Boston College
Boston College
27"

You missed an important part from that article though that really explains people's angst about this team.

"Of Tech’s 12 lowest yards-per-game average in the Johnson tenure, five have occurred in the past 13 games."

We may have had a lot of success up to 2014, but 2015-2016 have been really bad. The system has proven it can work, but this offense hasn't been very good for a while now.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sorry, but does no one remember what we did 2 years ago? We thrashed Miss. St. in the Orange Bowl after almost beating Free Shoes in the ACCCG. If we're talking about this year's team, ok--we only have ONE LOSS but need to improve quickly. As far as whether this offense can do some special things, puleeeze!

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Q: What kind of offense does really well against great defenses?
A: None

Q: What type of offense is successful against bigger, stronger, and more talented defensive linemen?
A: None

The ringing of hands after losing to a very very good #5 Clemson team is silly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Some more -
"Since 2008, Tech has had nine league games in which it has averaged 8.0 yards per play or more. To put that into context, as powerful as Clemson’s offense was last year, its best single-game average was 7.8.

The nine-game total is tied with FSU for the most in the ACC. In fact, only seven teams have any games at 8.0 or better.
8.0 yards-per-play against ACC opponents games since 2008
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami
North Carolina
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

On the other hand, Tech has had three ACC games when held to 4.0 yards or less – Clemson and Boston College this season, Duke last year and Miami in 2011. It’s tied with Miami for second fewest in the ACC, behind FSU with two. (I didn’t include Maryland, Louisville, Syracuse or Pittsburgh.)
4.0 yards per play or less against ACC opponents
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
North Carolina
Virginia
Duke
Boston College
Boston College
27"
Boy, this really blows away the ol' "our system is figured out" bs or the ol' "our system sucks" crappola. I wonder how our points per drive stat compares to the rest of the conference over that same period?

The system is sound, but like any system, you need guys who can execute it at a high level. Right now, we don't or maybe we do, but they haven't come close to reaching their peak performance due to lack of experience and development. How many 5 and 4 yr players are in the two deep on O? Here it is:

JT
Ike Willis
JJ Green
Ricky Jeune
Fromayan
Freddie B.
Shamire

7 upperclassmen out of 22 on the 2 deep. Out that 7, one is a former walkon (Ike), one is a transfer in his first year in system (JJ), one is a transfer in his first year as starter (Eason) one has been around a while, but is a first year starter (Sham) and three are multi-year starters.

After that, we have 15 freshmen and sophomores rounding out our offensive 2-deep.

Sorry, but that's not a recipe for a well-oiled machine early in a season against a top five opponent with arguably the best defense in all of college football. I'm not sure what everybody was expecting and why they were expecting it.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Apparantly Troy's Offense- 24 points, 386 yards, 21 first downs against Clemson
One thing that's always underestimated in college football is the affect underestimating your opponent has on your performance. Clemson rolled their hats onto the field and got a rude awakening before salvaging the victory. Wake up call.

Something tells me their mind set, preparation and focus was a little different when the came to BDS.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
No doubt, and undoubtably we shall see how dominant (or not) Clemson's D is this weekend against Louisville. BC got exposed vs. VT

BC from all accounts SOLD OUT to stop GT. They had offensive starters running GT's offense in the Spring. They lined up in 4 different alignments against us. IMO they way over invested resources in stopping us and it's hurt them against the rest of their schedule. Fuentes is known as an offensive guru and he has a QB who is the real deal. After losing to what looks to be a very good TN team simply because they coughed it up 5 times, VT crushed BC FIRST with Bud's defense, then with Fuentes offense. IMO VT is for real and will win the Coastal.

I am interested to see how Clemson fares vs Louisville. Could Clemson similarly have over invested trying to break their Bobby Dodd losing streak? Or were they merely that big, that fast, and that good? They looked well-coached but the thing that IMO stuck out to me (as with Iowa) is they got off blocks and ran to the football.

Now as far as GT and what GT could control vs Clemson, I thought we played very poorly. We did not respond to adversity and find a way to compete. I do think at least some of this is due to our biggest recruiting class being 2nd year guys (about 1 in 3 scholly players are 2nd year guys excluding walk-ons awarded schollies). Also our last two classes were our best, so those guys are tr-fr and 2nd year guys. Combined starts on the OL are not great. Clearly guys are learning to play the offense still and need to get bigger and stronger.

It's early. I expected a Clemson loss and we got one. I did expect a more competitive game. It's a measuring stick and I think the kids now see where they stand and what they need to do to be a ranked team. I do have faith in this group of kids. I think they are going to continue to work very, very hard as they did over the summer. I don't see them getting down or quitting. They have great character. I think our offense can roll by the end of the season if we stay relatively healthy, and do it against good defenses. Right now we aren't there. Gotta get there, gotta grind, gotta stay focused. There is nothing else do or say. I believe in this TEAM. I think they are going to get theirs before it's all said and done in 2016. Just my opinion.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess you didn't enjoy the '14 OB season?

Yea but that team and time has come and gone. That was a once in 15 year team for GT.
It is what it is.

As I have said in prior posts, if you are not innovating you are getting left behind. This offense has now been seen and studied within the ACC for 9 years. They have seen the things that work against it and the defensive coordinators are not all stupid. This offense works well when it is executed but teams seem to have found ways to disrupt or execution. The first time it was really obvious to me was when we played Iowa in a bowl game several years ago. They absolutely demolished us. Not sure what the answer is but continuing to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is called insanity. There is no doubt that this offense makes recruiting more difficult for elite lineman and QB's. We get the HS QB's that are more run oriented and not great passers but want to still play QB in college. The linemen want to play in an offense that is more pass protection oriented like the pro game. WR's want to get more than 1 or 2 passes thrown to them a game. We get kids that want an education and are good (but not elite) players. I am very proud of the character and classroom achievement of our players.

Best post of this thread. I am glad to see someone else gets it.

I hate losing, but I hate the loser trolls more. Smdh.

It could be that we're shut down every game from here on out, but history suggests it's unlikely. We pulled our starters just last week against a pwr5 team while practically scoring at will.

Watch the CU game and the Vandy game comparing D formations. Watch last year's CU game. My guess is that you'll see CU doing more of what Vandy did. They were well prepared.

We needed to play at our best and didn't.

Did you just play the pwr5 card? lol.. Vandy??? Vandy???
They have been the bottom of the barrel for 25 years.

You can't be serious.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO JT looks lost quite a bit this year. I'm not sure if it's all on him since other offensive players seem to be even more confused about what to do, who to block and which way to run.
I know why but can't post here b/c people will call me a liar and pi$$ and moan like usual.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No doubt, and undoubtably we shall see how dominant (or not) Clemson's D is this weekend against Louisville. BC got exposed vs. VT
Not so sure about BC. Teams have the day and then they have off days, too. One game doesn't define a season or a team. One thing is for sure, a really crappy O puts a ton of pressure on a D. So do short field/turnovers/etc. I didn't watch the VT/BC game, but final score doesn't always tell the whole story.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

Defenses DEFINITELY figured out the offense in the first half of 2014. Then FORGOT how to figure it out in the second half of 2014.

But--with all new skill guys and a crapload of injuries for GT--they refigured out how to stop us in 2015. I mean look at what UNC and Pitt did to our offense last year!

And now in 2016 BC and CU remembered how to figure out and stop our offense, but dumb ol' Vandy forgot.

So I am thinking it HAS been figured out. We haven't innovated like Mark Richt, whose offenses are usually pretty prolific. The confusing thing is that some teams experience AMNESIA with respect to our O. This creates the unfortunate illusion that our offense HASN'T been figured out. And so we go on running the same silly thing with varying results.

Yes, surely it has very little to do with how we execute. Folks have been stopping Navy dead-cold for years. Let's hope the rest of the season teams forget that it's actually pretty easy to stop our offense. It's pretty much our only hope.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Defenses DEFINITELY figured out the offense in the first half of 2014. Then FORGOT how to figure it out in the second half of 2014.

But--with all new skill guys and a crapload of injuries for GT--they refigured out how to stop us in 2015. I mean look at what UNC and Pitt did to our offense last year!

And now in 2016 BC and CU remembered how to figure out and stop our offense, but dumb ol' Vandy forgot.

So I am thinking it HAS been figured out. We haven't innovated like Mark Richt, whose offenses are usually pretty prolific. The confusing thing is that some teams experience AMNESIA with respect to our O. This creates the unfortunate illusion that our offense HASN'T been figured out. And so we go on running the same silly thing with varying results.

Yes, surely it has very little to do with how we execute. Folks have been stopping Navy dead-cold for years. Let's hope the rest of the season teams forget that it's actually pretty easy to stop our offense. It's pretty much our only hope.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree with this and its the same old lame excuse I have been hearing for over 30 years every time things don't go our way. Look around and not just at the elite programs, our resources and facilities are not the problem, while recruiting and academics are issue's to some extent this all about our offense not working and it needs to be fixed, plain and simple. There is still a lot of football to be played and CPJ has the opportunity to turn it around, we'll see what happens.
You just said it. Our offensive scheme has changed many times over 30 years but we get the same results. So why is it scheme again?