Our last game winning drive?

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed. Once you call it a forward pass, it brings up a whole new set of issues. On the Snoddy play, we had men downfield and at least 3 or 4 players committing pass interference fouls.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Not only that, but if it was indeed a forward pass, then it was offensive pass interference as the GSU player interfered with Golden's ability to play the ball in the air.

This is what I thought too. Others have pointed out and some quick research on my part has revealed that Offensive or Defensive pass interference cannot be called behind the line of scrimmage.

Edit to add AE 87's info about holding could have been a call too. However, the refs were too busy getting the call wrong in the first place.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Not only that, but if it was indeed a forward pass, then it was offensive pass interference as the GSU player interfered with Golden's ability to play the ball in the air.

There is no pass interference called behind the LOS. I believe the passer and receiver were behind the LOS.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
All of this brings up another question about it being a forward pass or a lateral. If it is a forward pass, then there should have immediately been a flag for linemen down field (same for the Snoddy/JT play). I know GS had linemen going to the second level to block linebackers and I am pretty sure we had the same on the Snoddy carry (catch). If it is a lateral for GS, then it was a fumble...no worries, our ball. If you call it a pass on the field, shouldn't the Umpire do his job and throw a flag? Am I right?

No penalty because the alledged passer and receiver were behind the LOS. Just like a screen where the linemen can be downfield if the pass is received behind the LOS.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, I remember the one that Tevin had in Blacksburg two years ago, with the A-back crossing pattern pass that should have won the game with 90 seconds left...until we gave up a TD with less than 90 seconds left.
More like 40 seconds left and then let the other team drive with a little over 30 seconds left and tie it up with 0 seconds left. Yep. Should have been a victory to remember and Washington was the deserving hero.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Watching the JT to Hill video made me think...what was our last game winning drive before yesterday?

Lord knows we have lost our share of close games recently.
One question I have not seen discussed. The defender covering Hill looked like he was playing the ball instead of the receiver but he was clearly late coming to the play. If he had played it safe and simply tackled Hill, rather than whiffing on him after whiffing on the ball, he might have tackled him short of the first down. That would have added another ratchet or two to the tension.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One question I have not seen discussed. The defender covering Hill looked like he was playing the ball instead of the receiver but he was clearly late coming to the play. If he had played it safe and simply tackled Hill, rather than whiffing on him after whiffing on the ball, he might have tackled him short of the first down. That would have added another ratchet or two to the tension.
Coach just said "I don't think we'd be kickin'..." if we had 4th and short in that situation.