Our last game winning drive?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Watching the JT to Hill video made me think...what was our last game winning drive before yesterday?

Lord knows we have lost our share of close games recently.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is my biggest positive from yesterday. I think we were all too shell shocked by the whole second half disaster to think about it. But in recent years we have gone late into any number of games with an even chance to win, but it is the other team which shows the poise, determination, and keen desire to win. This time it was us, and both sides of the ball contributed. Maybe this year's team can make a trend out of this.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I thought our defense was gassed.

I will say that someone was saying GSU had a ton of holding near the point of attack that wasn't called. When I heard that I just though man what a lame excuse. I Haven't had time to rewatch the game but I did watch a couple of highlights. On GSU's TD to tie the game one of GSU's OL was holding the living crap out of Macordes right at the point of attack. Without the hold that play goes nowhere. I don't know if that was just one play but it got me thinking maybe they did hold the crap out of us in the second half.

Boomer if you watch the film take a look and see if this was endemic to the game. Maybe GSU going hurry up can get away with this crap because the refs are worn down. Dunno. Regardless we still played like crap on defense.

This was just posted on the AJC blogs --- "Mike Periera, who is Fox Sports' expert on officiating, tweeted out that Ga Southern was robbed by a call that should never have been overturned, as the video evidence could in no way be considered "indisputable". When you have national experts weighing in and saying that a 3-touchdown underdog was robbed (by an ACC officiating crew, in an ACC stadium, no less) you really can't boast that you "still won". Tech was the beneficiary of a gift, and Tech should consider itself lucky."
I have watched that play several times in slow motion on my recorded telecast, and there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that at the point at which Golden batted it down, it was BEHIND the point of release by the QB. I don't know who Mike Periera is, but he's dead wrong on that.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
This was just posted on the AJC blogs --- "Mike Periera, who is Fox Sports' expert on officiating, tweeted out that Ga Southern was robbed by a call that should never have been overturned, as the video evidence could in no way be considered "indisputable". When you have national experts weighing in and saying that a 3-touchdown underdog was robbed (by an ACC officiating crew, in an ACC stadium, no less) you really can't boast that you "still won". Tech was the beneficiary of a gift, and Tech should consider itself lucky."
I have watched that play several times in slow motion on my recorded telecast, and there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that at the point at which Golden batted it down, it was BEHIND the point of release by the QB. I don't know who Mike Periera is, but he's dead wrong on that.
And here is why that claim is really really dead wrong . . . how the hell did the officials ever call it a forward pass to begin with????? Follow me here.

The officials have watched both these teams running option offenses all day long and KNOW that the intention is always to lateral the ball as a pitch to a trailing back. That is always the intention of the QB and pitch man. Sooooo, if a bang bang pitch and catch happens where you think it may have been a forward pass or screen pass but it was "very close" then you by default should rule it on the field as a lateral and then sort it out by video review. Why in the world if it is such a close call would you ever choose the least likely side to rule it on the field when the intention of the QB and the offense is clearly to be making a lateral there?

To overturn it you know they had to have gotten the call right on review. But, it should never have been ruled a forward pass "on the field" if it was too close to call, imo.

And also note that GSU to complain over this call being reversed actually have to be saying "no way, our QB completely screwed up the play . . . and made a screen pass instead of a lateral, geez refs you couldn't see that?"

It can happen that a QB turns what is supposed to be a lateral into a pass as we saw with Thomas and Snoddy but this is a very rare occurrence and never intended.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
And here is why that claim is really really dead wrong . . . how the hell did the officials ever call it a forward pass to begin with????? Follow me here.

The officials have watched both these teams running option offenses all day long and KNOW that the intention is always to lateral the ball as a pitch to a trailing back. That is always the intention of the QB and pitch man. Sooooo, if a bang bang pitch and catch happens where you think it may have been a forward pass or screen pass but it was "very close" then you by default should rule it on the field as a lateral and then sort it out by video review. Why in the world if it is such a close call would you ever choose the least likely side to rule it on the field when the intention of the QB and the offense is clearly to be making a lateral there?

To overturn it you know they had to have gotten the call right on review. But, it should never have been ruled a forward pass "on the field" if it was too close to call, imo.

And also note that GSU to complain over this call being reversed actually have to be saying "no way, our QB completely screwed up the play . . . and made a screen pass instead of a lateral, geez refs you couldn't see that?"

It can happen that a QB turns what is supposed to be a lateral into a pass as we saw with Thomas and Snoddy but this is a very rare occurrence and never intended.

I agree with Bruce.

In real time, with the angles the refs had to have, how - in the name of all that is decent - was that underhanded, sideways, pitch of the football called a pass "on the field"?

While waiting for the review, I was screaming at my TV that the refs were idiots and that there would not be "indisputable evidence" and we were hosed.

Thank god that Freeman played through the whistle and got the ball and that the replay official had the stones to overturn the call.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Well, I remember the one that Tevin had in Blacksburg two years ago, with the A-back crossing pattern pass that should have won the game with 90 seconds left...until we gave up a TD with less than 90 seconds left.
Hill caught that pass too.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Lmao good point.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
All of this brings up another question about it being a forward pass or a lateral. If it is a forward pass, then there should have immediately been a flag for linemen down field (same for the Snoddy/JT play). I know GS had linemen going to the second level to block linebackers and I am pretty sure we had the same on the Snoddy carry (catch). If it is a lateral for GS, then it was a fumble...no worries, our ball. If you call it a pass on the field, shouldn't the Umpire do his job and throw a flag? Am I right?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
All of this brings up another question about it being a forward pass or a lateral. If it is a forward pass, then there should have immediately been a flag for linemen down field (same for the Snoddy/JT play). I know GS had linemen going to the second level to block linebackers and I am pretty sure we had the same on the Snoddy carry (catch). If it is a lateral for GS, then it was a fumble...no worries, our ball. If you call it a pass on the field, shouldn't the Umpire do his job and throw a flag? Am I right?
Not only that, but if it was indeed a forward pass, then it was offensive pass interference as the GSU player interfered with Golden's ability to play the ball in the air.