Our Fan Base

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I had a professor once tell me it’s about measuring mastery of the subject and not understanding.

That’s always been part of the mission at GT and served me well since graduating.
Mastery should not require going beyond what is taught and/or assigned. If the professor wants more that the classroom instruction, I'm fine with that. But, the questions on the exams should not exceed what is asked for from the study questions provided in the assigned text (unless additional study questions are provided). Just my opinion. If the professor wants more than the text he/she chooses for the class, then they should provide/specify the supplemental material.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You get it. Sadly, not everyone does.

Student: Why do I have to learn all this integration stuff and memorize all these physics formulas? In the real world, I can just look all that stuff up.

Me: Explain to me why an employer should pay top dollar to hire a GT graduate, when a UAB graduate—who also has your TI-84 calculator, by the way—can look things up just as well as you can? You need to be better than that, and it starts here.

I consider it my job to push students out of their comfort zone, and make them HAVE to be better than they were when they came to Tech. Otherwise, what am I doing? Rubber-stamping their high school experiences as being equivalent to a college education? I thought that was (u)GA‘s forte.
If you ask for more but don't support that with proper instruction then you're not a good instructor. Your job is to instruct, challenge, and then support the learning experience.

I'm sure you are.

The Scouts use the EDGE method, (E)xplain, (D)emonstrate, (G)uide, and (E)xamine (Enable). Sadly, many of my instructors at Tech did the first one poorly, skipped the middle two, and kicked our butts with the final one.

Last edited:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Look, GT fans are, generally, a more socially odd group. Whenever I see someone wearing GT gear, I simply say, “I like your hat/shirt”.
This...

Engineers are not liberal arts majors. Sadly their social skills are rather pathetic.

Don't expect much from GT fans as most are alumni and engineers. This automatically kills any type of extrovert social experience. I've noticed this first hand working with over 50+ Tech grads at my company. I'm the one that didn't go to GT but I'm the ONLY one who shows GT pride almost every day.

Having an Engineering mind and being a die hard, heart on your sleeve fan for athletics just do not go hand in hand. Until the school can open up it's list of majors to not be a stem school it will always be this way.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
One of my best friends went to uga and taught at Georgia for several years. He is a Tech fan. Part of that is that his dad played football at Tech. But the biggest part is he hated how football took priority with the students. Exams, term papers, class attendance, all were expected to be modified or canceled by “game day.” Even deans / heads of departments encouraged professors to “go light” on students during football season. He says his students got progressively worse about this each year. That and lousy pay causes him to seek employment elsewhere.
I wish we did that for our students.... GT the school side does absolutely nothing to help the football program.

Life is about fun, GT rarely understands that.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
In my opinion, Tech professors took great pleasure in making the questions on the tests way harder than they needed to be. They were not representative of the homework problems or the material we went through in class. That was the case in most of my classes. The quality of students at Tech should not have struggled as hard as we did. I've heard things have changed, somewhat.

Reminds me of a story my dad told about Fluid Dynamics when he was there in the early 70's. He had studied regularly for this class, but like most people, he found it a tough one to grasp.

Said he walked into a test, and there were the typical 3 questions (that took you all 1.5 hours to get through). He looked at the first one, and thought "Nope, can't answer that one." Looked at Question 2: "Wow. I'm having a hard time even understanding what the professor wants." Then looked at question 3: "Is this even something we covered? I've never seen this sort of thing before in my life."

Then at the bottom of the page, he saw an asterisk that read something like:

*HINT: If a = q, then wouldn't b & h be the same as [some other random thing]?

He looked back at Question 1. It made perfect sense. He worked through it.

Looked at Question 2. It also made more sense, and he struggled through it.

Looked at Question 3. It still didn't make sense, but based on what he had done in the first 2 questions, he thought he could muddle through it. He did, and was able to finish the exam and turn it in before time was up.

The next week, the professor came in, sat down his things, and looked around at the room. He handed out the tests, and as he was doing so, he said (in his usual measured, enunciated Asian dialect), "Very unfortunate some of you took the incorrect hint at the bottom of last week's test."

Last edited:

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I have gotten both good responses and blank stares.

"Go Jackets" works better than "what's the good word".

When my son started Tech, the fist day of FASET included teaching the proper responses. But that was back in 2014.

I was walking the beach at PCB, and got a "What's the good word" because I was wearing a Tech hat. I did give the proper response and had a nice conversation.

Not sure why there is such a discrepancy in responses.

Wonder if the SEC schools have similar situations?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Legacy admissions. 😁
What legacy admissions? A former alumni board member expressed the opinion that being a legacy actually hurts admission chances. It sure didn't help my younnger son, who was denied at Tech but was admitted to an equally prestigous school for his major that we had no connection with--where he probably would have gone anyway due to better programs for his minor. Sometimes it seems that Tech resents its students, and unless you want to write big checks, feels the same way about its alumni.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have gotten both good responses and blank stares.

"Go Jackets" works better than "what's the good word".

When my son started Tech, the fist day of FASET included teaching the proper responses. But that was back in 2014.

I was walking the beach at PCB, and got a "What's the good word" because I was wearing a Tech hat. I did give the proper response and had a nice conversation.

Not sure why there is such a discrepancy in responses.

Wonder if the SEC schools have similar situations?

Perhaps it's possible that he was an innocent guy just kind of liked Tech and wanted to buy and wear a GT hat but didn't attend the institute.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
My kid got in as a legacy, our understanding is that being a legacy was a slight positive bump (although it used to not matter). Our friends probably assumed my having been a prof helped, but I am 100% positive it didn’t. Having given money in the past probably didn’t help, although the development person assigned to me (who hopes I will give again) knew about the application and may have flagged it somehow, who knows.
GT wants more women and being in-state helped. What helped us the most imo was (1) picking the right major and (2) I knew how to offer advice with the essay because I know how they think. Or maybe it comes down to luck, so many strong applicants. All my kid’s friends applied to GT, none got in, they’re all at uga.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was out of state when I applied. I had good grades, decent SAT scores, but also president of our Beta club and athletic letters. I think they were looking for leadership potential more than pure academics back then. Not a legacy BTW. One son got accepted and the other was conditional to transfer in after one year. He went to NCSU. He would have never made it at GT. Other one had potential to make it but he went to UNC which is also difficult to get into.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Biggest problem we have as a fanbase is we're an inherently cheap fanbase. Here's some common items:

* I live out of town and would have to stay in a hotel and/or buy a plane flight to Atlanta. You know how expensive that is.
* Season football tickets got much more expensive this year and the team's performance does not warrant me renewing.
* Why should I buy season tickets when I can get some for a fraction of the cost on the open market?
* It's too expensive to travel to Ole Miss, one of the finest venues to witness a college football game
* Why should I donate to a team that's struggling? I'm gonna wait until things improve.

We're busy people wth jobs and families and many have work or other obligations that make attending GT sports events problematic, but beyond that our fans are some of the cheapest of the cheap. We do rise up and donate a lot of money when there's a special campaign, but the day to day decisions with our fans are almost always dominated by the $$. We have an analytical and technically superior fanbase, but when it comes to opening that wallet you'd better have a jaws of life to pry the average GT fan's wallet open.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Biggest problem we have as a fanbase is we're an inherently cheap fanbase. Here's some common items:

* I live out of town and would have to stay in a hotel and/or buy a plane flight to Atlanta. You know how expensive that is.
* Season football tickets got much more expensive this year and the team's performance does not warrant me renewing.
* Why should I buy season tickets when I can get some for a fraction of the cost on the open market?
* It's too expensive to travel to Ole Miss, one of the finest venues to witness a college football game
* Why should I donate to a team that's struggling? I'm gonna wait until things improve.

We're busy people wth jobs and families and many have work or other obligations that make attending GT sports events problematic, but beyond that our fans are some of the cheapest of the cheap. We do rise up and donate a lot of money when there's a special campaign, but the day to day decisions with our fans are almost always dominated by the $$. We have an analytical and technically superior fanbase, but when it comes to opening that wallet you'd better have a jaws of life to pry the average GT fan's wallet open.
GT is what it is because of what GT alums value. The school has a massive endowment. The GTAA struggles. UGA’s athletic association is flush with cash. I bet their school endowment pales in comparison to ours, even though they are much larger. It’s what you value and focus on.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Alumni not living near campus is a problem pretty unique to Georgia Tech - the reality is we don't graduate massive numbers of undergraduates every year, a good chunk of those graduates are out-of-state or international and go home after graduating for either familial or visa reasons, and companies from all around the country recruit at Georgia Tech because of the density of talent.

If I find a friend who wants to go to Ole Miss w/ me, that 3 day/2 night vacation is going to cost me all-in (lodging, gas, tickets, food/drinks) $75ish/day - pretty affordable as far as making memories and relaxing vacations go. But I definitely attended minimal games the 2 seasons I lived in flight distance so I totally understand it's a different bear for you to fly into Memphis, rent a car, etc..

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Alumni not living near campus is a problem pretty unique to Georgia Tech - the reality is we don't graduate massive numbers of undergraduates every year, a good chunk of those graduates are out-of-state or international and go home after graduating for either familial or visa reasons, and companies from all around the country recruit at Georgia Tech because of the density of talent.

If I find a friend who wants to go to Ole Miss w/ me, that 3 day/2 night vacation is going to cost me all-in (lodging, gas, tickets, food/drinks) $75ish/day - pretty affordable as far as making memories and relaxing vacations go. But I definitely attended minimal games the 2 seasons I lived in flight distance so I totally understand it's a different bear for you to fly into Memphis, rent a car, etc..
The fans that live near Atlanta are complaining about the cost to attend one away game. Those of us that live out of state face that cost to attend GT games in Atlanta. I had season tickets for three years 2013-2015. I could stay with my in-,laws for the weekend, so only cost me gas, some food, and price of tickets. I would probably still do that if my in-laws were still alive and I didn't have to board my dog. Now it's a lot more expensive and I do one or maybe two games a year. I still make a pretty decent donation rather than tickets I can't use

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The fans that live near Atlanta are complaining about the cost to attend one away game. Those of us that live out of state face that cost to attend GT games in Atlanta. I had season tickets for three years 2013-2015. I could stay with my in-,laws for the weekend, so only cost me gas, some food, and price of tickets. I would probably still do that if my in-laws were still alive and I didn't have to board my dog. Now it's a lot more expensive and I do one or maybe two games a year. I still make a pretty decent donation rather than tickets I can't use
It's hard for those of us that live far away out of town that buy season tickets, have travel costs and stuff like you mentioned as additional expenses listen to those in town GT fans or those a very short drive away ***** and moan about ticket prices and parking. I get it, you have to provide for your family first, but we beat our chests about all the millionaires we have then 3 responses down gripe about a $10 beer.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, my two cents worth. Tech fans are different from other fans bases because we have more going on in our lives. Yes, that is a generalization. Yes, it sounds snobby.

But I believe it to be true, not just from anecdotal evidence of fellow Tech fans who have so many other things going on in their lives, but because we don’t act like a cult.

The uga fan base, for instance, has people who will spend their last dollar on the team. I know some who are constantly in debt or can’t pay their bills. Some want to paint their houses red and black. I’ve seen grave markers that are shaped like bulldogs and painted red and black. Many can’t sustain a conversation on numerous topics but are always ready to talk football. In short, it’s all they’ve got going on in their lives. And they never leave the house without putting on a uga t-shirt or sticking a uga flag on the back of their pickup.

Are there reasonable uga fans who keep things in perspective? Of course. But it’s this larger fanatical (fan) base that keeps the whole thing humming for them. So they can spend time with family, take up gardening, go to Europe, hold their own in their company’s board room and give to charity. But the crazy core of fans feeds the monster for the whole fan base.

Tech will never have that level of crazy. Too pragmatic, too sensible, too restrained, too cynical.