OT Rules Ruling

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone else notice this on last play of OT in SC v USF game? ...and what would be the 'correct' ruling? The game ended without any replay or discussion and I'm not even sure I saw it this way.... but I'm asking IF it occurred this way, what is the ruling.

Scenario:
USF scored a TD in the first possession of OT. On SC's possession, they needed a TD to stay alive in the game. It got to a do or die 4th down. The SC QB is sacked and may have been in process of passing the ball. It may have been ruled incomplete on the field. In that case, the game would obviously be over even if replay overturned the pass call (into a fumble) on the field because the whistle would have meant a dead ball.

However, let's assume it was actually a fumble by the QB. A USF defender (for some dumb reason) chose to pick up the ball and run with it rather than fall on it. In my mind, he clearly possessed the ball, was hit and HE fumbled it. I think a SC lineman may have fallen on that fumble. Would that not mean.... a 1st down (fresh set) and SC maintains possession?? I know that would be the ruling in regulation and I believe OT possessions are treated the same as regulation. If so... I'd love to see the sequence again; and can you imagine if the game turned that way?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
In regulation it would be first and ten. This happened with the Nesbitt steal against FSU.

I think that would be the same in OT. Imagine if USC had stolen it back and then scored all on the same play. Would it count?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I was confused by it too. Wasn't the Maurice Clarrett fumble and stealback in the National Championship in OT that allowed them to win?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It would have been game over.you only get one possession, and although a fumble, it was on fourth down which means that possession was over.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the game ended when UCF took possession of the ball. SC failed to score on their possession.

To continue would be to give UCF the first TD possession, SC a failed possession, UCF a failed possession and SC another chance........

Animal02

Banned
Okay, since we are playing this what if....How about something happening in the first OT like Tech v Clemson...Interception, back into the endzone, safety. Each team would have had a "possesion" by the above logic......Does the play stop immediately at the time of change of possession or does the defence have the opportunity to advance the ball and score to win the OT?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, since we are playing this what if....How about something happening in the first OT like Tech v Clemson...Interception, back into the endzone, safety. Each team would have had a "possesion" by the above logic......Does the play stop immediately at the time of change of possession or does the defence have the opportunity to advance the ball and score to win the OT?

Each team gets one possession starting at 25 is what they're talking about.
I think it would've been interesting if that SCar play had been on 3rd down.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think that the recovered fumble would count as a possession if that was the case then a whistle would get blown as soon as recovered. Even though I have seen a lot of OT's end with a turnover I don't ever recall the play immediately whistled dead.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that the recovered fumble would count as a possession if that was the case then a whistle would get blown as soon as recovered. Even though I have seen a lot of OT's end with a turnover I don't ever recall the play immediately whistled dead.
The whistle isn't blown until the play is over. As has been said above, if the defense recovered a fumble or interception and then turned it back over, like Nesbitt's play at FSU, then the game would be over. The more interesting question would be if the offense fumbled, the defense recovered and then fumbled and the offense recovered the ball and score a TD (all in the same play) would that TD stand or would the game end on the turn-over.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The whistle isn't blown until the play is over. As has been said above, if the defense recovered a fumble or interception and then turned it back over, like Nesbitt's play at FSU, then the game would be over. The more interesting question would be if the offense fumbled, the defense recovered and then fumbled and the offense recovered the ball and score a TD (all in the same play) would that TD stand or would the game end on the turn-over.

Not in OT. The Offense didn't score on their next possession. {That's my story and I' sticking to it whether rgiht of wrong. :whistle:}

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
From the 2015 NCAA Rules Book -- Rule 3 - Article 3 - e:

"Possession series: Each team retains the ball during a possession series until it scores or fails to make a first down. The ball remains alive after a change of team possession until it is declared dead. However, Team A may not have a first and 10 if it again possesses the ball after a change of team possession (A.R. 3-1-3-I-IX)."

From that it appears that if the defense gets the ball and fumbles, the offense could recover the ball and score. However, if the offense recovers the ball but does not score, they do not get a 1st and 10.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From the 2015 NCAA Rules Book -- Rule 3 - Article 3 - e:

"Possession series: Each team retains the ball during a possession series until it scores or fails to make a first down. The ball remains alive after a change of team possession until it is declared dead. However, Team A may not have a first and 10 if it again possesses the ball after a change of team possession (A.R. 3-1-3-I-IX)."

From that it appears that if the defense gets the ball and fumbles, the offense could recover the ball and score. However, if the offense recovers the ball but does not score, they do not get a 1st and 10.

And you ruined the speculation with facts. (n);)

Woodstock

Georgia Tech Fan
What if the offense re-recovered the ball and advanced it past the line to gain for a first down? It would be a first down and play would continue, right?